What text updates do you want to see next?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

What text updates do you want to see next?

Postby BakaGrappler » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:15 pm

In my opinion, Rob has done an exceptional job with his text updates, and I consider them to be an integral part of the series now. There is nothing like actually getting inside a character's head and hearing their thoughts, especially what he has done with the Hobgobwins, in showing the differing perspectives of this world.

Rob has also used these Text updates to answer our questions about "Why doesn't X perform Y action?" like he did where the four Jetstone mages conversed about why the king isn't flying out. Brilliant.

Now for the purpose of this thread, hopefully it's ongoing purpose. What do you want to see in a Text Update that has not come out yet?

Me, I want to see Sylvia Lazarus' reaction to Parson's emergence through the Magic Kingdom portal and into Jetstone. If she can feel Parson like she said before, there should be some form of reaction when he goes through the portals. And it would also give us the opportunity to read in a text update what is happening with the attempt to batter down the tower using the Purple Dwagons that Scarlet has been placed in charge of. Two birds with one stone.

What do you want to see in a text update? What events or explanations do you want explored in text format?
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Re: What text updates do you want to see next?

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 pm

I like this subject.

For a while I've been thinking it would be neat to see the perspective of a decrypted natural ally. Particularly an elf or marbit (although gobwin could be interesting too). As we know, marbits and elves don't ally with sides that are allied with hobgobwins, so I think it would be neat to see what they think of being on the same side. Another aspect to explore could be a natural ally chief that has been striped of their title and connection to their side. I don't imagine that happens too often.

The down side to this is that there don't seem to be decrypted natural allies in the main conflict. So the only place we might see one in the near future is in a city Jillian is attacking, or in the city of Gobwin knob. Still, I can hope.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:37 am

An update about Scarlet Sylvia is always welcome in my book, so let's name something else.

It's been a while- or it feels like it- since we got into Parson's head. Maybe it's just an impression, but we're due for a look in Lord Hamster's brain. After all, there he is, doing something risky and suboptimal, from a powergamer perspective. We know more or less why- not put others in risks he wouldn't face. Who's these others? Would be a time to explore his friendship with Jack, for example, who probably is the one unit at Spacerock that Parson would be most sad to see go. Or Wanda, whose untimely departure would be a frightening event.

Also, I'd like a comic page update about Stanley, swinging both Hammers into battle.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby wrecan » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 am

At this particular moment in the story, I would love text updates from:
  • Charlie
  • Vinny (secretly being kept informed by Bunny, at Don's orders)
  • Revere, an unaffiliated Luckamancer who, in Portal Park on unrelated business, happens to spot Parson slip through the portal and into a tunnel, and then sounds an alarm.
  • Ossomer
wrecan

Postby ZevGun » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:28 pm

I want to see what Stanley thinks of Parson headed to the MK.
I hope it isn't part of the next comic update so we get to read about it.
ZevGun
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby ftl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:46 pm

wrecan wrote:At this particular moment in the story, I would love text updates from:
  • Charlie

...I think it's a good bet that we're a long, long way off from getting a text update from Charlie's POV. He's a mysterious enemy; it would really mess up the tension if we found out who he is and what he's thinking.

I like your other ideas though.

Me, I'd like to see something from the POV of Marie, or Janis, or Isaac - learn more about what they think of Parson.

Jack's updates are always awesome.

Anything from Transylvito's developing situation.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Agarwaen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Personally, Wrigley/FUD/Sylvia stories were the most interesting to me. I liked the nose-to-the-ground view of Erfworld units.
What I really would like are stories of very far off places in Erfworld. Maybe after this conflict settles some, but soon. Sides that aren't involved with Decryption or the Arkentools. They'd have new cultures, new units, and new strategies. Right now Erfworld is feeling a little tight. We only had 4 sides with any depth: GK, Jetstone, Translyvito, and Faq. I'd like to see some diversity with far-off sides with their own conflicts.
Love to see a naval battle or similar fight. Maybe a side with a Techno-Viking slant. :p I love the flavor of the 'Western Giants' and Goyles. Curious on Daemons, Sand Witches, and other non-capital sides.
I want more World building but with the personal perspective.
I feel the text updates can kinda spoil the flow of the main story so I'd rather they didn't touch on it.
Agarwaen

Postby Thunder » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:06 am

id really like to see one for charlie but im pretty sure hes supposed to be more mysterious

actually what id really like is a text update of charlie chatting with parson because their conversations always make me laugh
I live up in the land of ice and snow, where the hot springs blow, from the city which rhymes with fun.
do you know from whence i hail?
Thunder

Postby BakaGrappler » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:43 pm

cloudbreaker wrote:I like this subject.

For a while I've been thinking it would be neat to see the perspective of a decrypted natural ally. Particularly an elf or marbit (although gobwin could be interesting too). As we know, marbits and elves don't ally with sides that are allied with hobgobwins, so I think it would be neat to see what they think of being on the same side. Another aspect to explore could be a natural ally chief that has been striped of their title and connection to their side. I don't imagine that happens too often.

The down side to this is that there don't seem to be decrypted natural allies in the main conflict. So the only place we might see one in the near future is in a city Jillian is attacking, or in the city of Gobwin knob. Still, I can hope.

I think something like this could easily be done, after all we saw the Eager Elves form the first wave once the walls fell in the Battle for Gobwin Knob. There would definitely be a number of Decrypted Eager's among the ranks, and I think Parson would not overlook making some rounds with one of them to ask about Neutral Tribe factioning, about why some tribes hate other tribe and won't work with them. I also think Parson would be wize to start looking for Witches and the like to form Natural Allies with, as I am quite eager to see Erfworld renditions of witches.

Would they be wiccan? Wicked Witches of the East? Glendas of the North? Samatha's of Bewitching? Crones of MacBething? I WANNA SEE!

BLANDCorporatio wrote:An update about Scarlet Sylvia is always welcome in my book, so let's name something else.

It's been a while- or it feels like it- since we got into Parson's head. Maybe it's just an impression, but we're due for a look in Lord Hamster's brain. After all, there he is, doing something risky and suboptimal, from a powergamer perspective. We know more or less why- not put others in risks he wouldn't face. Who's these others? Would be a time to explore his friendship with Jack, for example, who probably is the one unit at Spacerock that Parson would be most sad to see go. Or Wanda, whose untimely departure would be a frightening event.

Also, I'd like a comic page update about Stanley, swinging both Hammers into battle.

I like the idea of text describing Parson's thought process while he's going through the portal. It's almost like Stargate, you sink in and go elsewhere. Now, what would be going through a Stupid Worlder's mind while he is still in transit. What thoughts about physics meeting game systems and movement tables would be going through his mind? Is the transit instant or does it take a few moments? Can he breath while he's going through? What does it look like as you're leaving the portal, can you see the light at the end of the tunnel and did Parson think he had finally died the first time he saw it?

I am most curious!
An epic space opera where you fully customize your Captain's Background, Military Career, and Court Martial.
Will you prevent civilization from fracturing and win back your honor? Or betray the Empress' trust and plunder the galaxy?
BakaGrappler

Postby BakaGrappler » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Since Rob is holding off on the Text updates until he has completed this chapter of Erf-World (an excellent plan if I do say so, since if you don't have subject material you should not write), I feel a legitimate need to post here again, and say what I want to see, when the next chapter rolls around, inside of a text update.

And for everyone else, I encourage you to post what you would like to see included in text updates.

For me, I want to see Artemis' thought process as she is Decrypted. We can see the DeCryt! action in the comics, and often have, but we have not been inside a unit's head as they are risen and are in the middle of having their thoughts rewritten. That moment where they are still dead and are having the spark of life inserted back into them. What would it be like? Would you be seeing the Passage to the Titans and then suddenly have it closed off? Or as a unit is has been meant to be decrypted, and not to be sent to be judged, would your consciousness just be puttering around in the dark until you get yanked back? Sylvia said that she felt Parson while she was dead, waiting to be Decrypted, so is that how it is for other units, the ability to sense a flow of time and relative existences until they are brought back into this world rules by the fall of dice?

And like how Ansom said that he remembers things differently, as a unit is raised, what is the thought process of "Oh, suddenly everything is different" go while it is actually happening? Those important memories, do they suddenly feel so much less so? Does the interpretation of those memories change dramatically? Being able to see the changes inside a person's head as they are happening seems very intriguing.

Also, I am interested in the process of a unit being forcefully turned by a Turnamancer, like what Vanna will be doing on the next turn, a mass Turning. It will be interesting to see Ansom's interpretation and the argument with Jillian about the ethics of forcefully turning a unit in terms of Turnamancy and Decryption. Why is Turnamancy fine while Decryption results in units that can only be treated like garbage? This couple has never been so interesting until they started challenging each other's views of reality.

It will also be interesting to be in the head of Tremmenis as he has the Chekov's Wand of Cure Incapacitation used on him. I have always enjoyed the "shell shocked" sequences in movies where a person is seeing the world around them while they are in a disassociated mindframe, either through seeing those things you can only spy while your mind is incapable of focusing on the important matters at the moment, like the Normandy landing in Saving Private Ryan, or through hearing what is happening around you and being unable to speak to tell everyone to calm down and give orders, the helpless wounded leader who has everything fall apart around him while he is incapacitated.

What do you guys want to see in the next chapter in the form of Text Updates?
BakaGrappler

Postby msb » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:59 am

I'd prefer there to be no more text updates.

They are okay; they're pretty entertaining as far as they go. But the fact that the story is supposed to be coherent without the text updates shows that they are not really essential. I always know when I read a text update that it's not going to include critical events or information, or that if it does it will eventually be revealed in the comic.

In some cases I feel like text updates have revealed information too early. For example, I think I'd prefer to have the Charlie's powers and the thinkamancy stuff be more mysterious at this point in the story. The text update from Maggie's POV was awesome in how much information it gave, but it has made the story somewhat less compelling. The text updates also made some of the pages surrounding the Transylvito-Jetstone loan exchange partially redundant. Etc.

I suppose I could just skip reading text updates. In that case I guess I'd just add that if text updates delay a comic page by even half a day ever, then I certainly feel like it's not worth it. I'd rather have slower overall updates and faster comic page updates than faster overall updates and slower comic page updates.

Note I'm just expressing my preferences here -- if Rob feels like the text updates can make the comic more worthwhile or better, then of course he should start doing them again when it suits him. But since this thread is just about expressing preferences, I thought I'd chime in.
msb

Postby Sieggy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Actually, I like the text updates a lot. They add a certain depth, flavor, and nuance to the story that brings Erf more to life, and Xin's artwork on them is really great as well. Though I would suspect that if there's a problem with doing updates in addition to the regular comic pages, the artwork is the bottleneck, as that takes far longer to produce than a page of mere text. Not that I'm saying that a well crafted piece of the story can just be cranked out like sausages, mind you, but art is simply more time consuming.

What I would suggest is the same thing Rob did with the summer updates - bring in guest awtists. They were a refreshing change, and having them do guest panels would no doubt ease the burden on Xin's production schedule considerably. It's always nice to see fan involvement in a project like this, and it would be really neat to see some different interpretations of the subject matter . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby BakaGrappler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:28 pm

This thread does deserve more posts. Text updates give a LOT of information and story, often from a viewpoint that does not get enough time to shine.

I hope for a text update in the new future showing the process of being resurrected through the Arkenpliers, especially the rewriting of Loyalty and Duty in the act of changing sides while being pulled back from the grave. If this process was occurring during an ambush attack through Dirtamancy and the like as I've been postulating, the confusion of changing sides and charging directly into battle seems as interesting to me as the Shell Shocked sequence of Tom Hank's in Saving Private Ryan during Normandy. It would be especially interesting to me if the one's viewpoint it occurred from was Artemis', and her initial impression of Parson upon seeing him and recognizing him as the chief warlord, especially after being a victim of his tactics and the influence of fate on GK's side. Sure, Parson doesn't photograph well, but his size and current battle ready bearing may have some some positive counterbalance in person.

We've seen Parson for sooooooo long. It feels like it would be nice to see him again for the first time through someone else's eyes.
BakaGrappler

Postby Lilwik » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:48 pm

I love text updates. Comic pages are more visually appealing and it is great to have them, especially for the really important events in the story, but text updates are the way to get more story faster. When we get a comic update it's wonderful, but each text update is like ten comic updates so I'm always hoping that the next update will be text.

What I really want to see in future text updates is more from the Magic Kingdom. There is so much about magic that we are only getting in teaser form. I want to see some Weirdomancy. I want to know what all of the elements and axes really mean and why disciplines are categorized the way they are. What sort of fellowship do Clevermancers have when they seem to be working in totally unrelated areas. Why are axes called "axes"? On second thought, instead of a text update I would like a textbook that just explains every detail of magic. I wonder if Rob Balder could be commissioned to create such a thing. Perhaps a Kickstarter could get that to happen.
Lilwik

Postby ftl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Lilwik wrote:On second thought, instead of a text update I would like a textbook that just explains every detail of magic. I wonder if Rob Balder could be commissioned to create such a thing. Perhaps a Kickstarter could get that to happen.

Unlikely. In the last kickstarter, Rob asked for suggestions for more things to do since they got so much more funding than they expected, and common requests apparently included rulebooks or a map of erfworld. Here was what rob said about them:
The rulebook and map are not going to happen for a long time. They'd impact the storytelling too much. For you, they could spoil the dramatically appropriate time to reveal certain mechanics. For me, they would force me to decide certain aspects of the world that I've left intentionally vague until there's a story-driven reason to fill in the blanks. So don't expect those for a couple more books.

I expect the same answer would apply to a "magic textbook".
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:21 pm

ftl wrote:I expect the same answer would apply to a "magic textbook".
I don't believe it. He's already laid out magic in a regular grid and told us the names and axes of every discipline. These are not the sorts of things that he would do if he meant for magic to be intentionally vague. I'm 99% certain that he knows exactly what each discipline of magic does and how it can be explained by the axes of that discipline. I also don't think that it has anything to do with dramatic appropriateness, since he has chosen to reveal so much about the disciplines of magic when he could have hidden them. In the case of magic I think all he is waiting for is a place where he can reveal the details without disrupting the flow of the story by boring us with irrelevant information. That's exactly what a textbook would give him.

I expect that the "certain mechanics" are the fine detail mechanics, not the structure of magic. What he probably means are the precise details that someone would require to run simulations of the sort that Parson's bracer would do, breaking down Erfworld into dice rolls so we could check the bracer's results by running the calculations ourselves. That would obviously be intolerably constraining. So if we think of a magic textbook as including things like exactly how much juice can a Dirtamancer have and how much juice is required to move each kilogram of dirt, then that would be the sort of details that are probably left intentionally vague. On the contrary, what I'm hoping for are the big themes and concepts which have yet to be properly explained, like difference between the Erf axis and the Matter axis.
Lilwik

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:40 pm

While a magic textbook would be awesome, I agree that he likely wouldn't do it so he can surprise us with magic still. He really seems to like Turnamancers though. Seems they can do absolutely everything. Speed up production, end turns early, turn units, make stuff that moves on its own...

That said though, I think something amounting more to a magic pamphlet would be great. Right now all we know about several disciplines is their name (well, and axis) with no idea at all about what they really do. Weirdomancy being one of the best examples (though that might be highly intentional). We don't really know anything about what carnymancers really do (sounds alot like luckamancy from what little we've heard so far). Changemancy, signamancy, datemancy are all hugely unexplored as well. Moneymancy we don't really know anything except they can make gems, which is only slightly useful (though they no doubt help with income and/or expenses quite a bit). Even if we just got a paragraph or two on each caster type, it'd be great to at least get an idea of what they can do. It still leaves tons of room for surprises though. As I mentioned, turnamancers keep seeming to get new abilities, and the other casters we know fairly well surprise us from time to time (Sizemore can put out fires, who knew? Maggie has g-strings. Foolamancers can even show images to the blind, etc.)
Taikei no Yuurei
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lilwik » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:49 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:He really seems to like Turnamancers though. Seems they can do absolutely everything. Speed up production, end turns early, turn units, make stuff that moves on its own...
Actually those are all perfectly consistent with the basic concept of Turnamancy. Turnamancy is on two axes: Erf and Motion. The Erf axis is the one that seems to deal with practical issues, the crudest forms of magic that is merely about getting stuff done like moving piles of dirt from place to place, finding things, or blowing holes in things. The Motion axis is clearly the axis of making things move, so Turnamancy is clearly the magic of speeding things up and getting things going in the crudest sense, and don't be surprised if we discover that it can also slow things down. Dollamancy makes things move in a far more sophisticated way that we all know all about. I have no idea what Weirdomancy does, but I'm sure it has something to do with motion.
Lilwik

Postby drachefly » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:While a magic textbook would be awesome, I agree that he likely wouldn't do it so he can surprise us with magic still. He really seems to like Turnamancers though. Seems they can do absolutely everything. Speed up production, end turns early, turn units, make stuff that moves on its own...

The ending turns early, at least, was while linked via an arkentool, possibly to a carnymancer. And the turning units isn't all that amazing. Takes a lot of time for decent units.
drachefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 am

It isn't so much that turning units is powerful, it's just that it has so much versatility. Croakamancy seems to be very limited in what it does, along with shockamancy and some others. Some others have real versatility like dirtamancy but turnamancer seems to have it all. Which isn't to say shockamancy and others aren't as strong, just more limited.
Taikei no Yuurei

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld