Summer Updates, Some More Info

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Summer Updates, Some More Info

Postby balder » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:12 am

Ilari wrote:I also like the name "Fallout" for the period between books 1 and 2; it works on multiple levels. It also fits gameboy's specificity requirement. Well, it does as long as you don't plan to make uncroaking volcanoes into a habit.

Erfworld 1.5: the Fallout would be pretty good, yeah. Consider it considered!
balder

Postby BarGamer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:39 pm

*Happy Dances!* Once again I contribute to the Erfworld Universe!

I feel like I just gained another level in Geek or something. XD
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ilari » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:27 pm

BarGamer wrote:*Happy Dances!* Once again I contribute to the Erfworld Universe!

I feel like I just gained another level in Geek or something. XD

I didn't level, but I gained a point in my Lobbymancy skill. :)
Ilari
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kung-Fu-amancer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Hello,

just joined up a little while ago. Have to say the series really surprised me in its quality and I can't wait until the new stuff comes out(or the old stuff gets printed in a book :D ). I saw your new narrative style and I was wondering whether or not you would consider doing it from a first person perspective? It so much more of a authentic feel as far characterizations goes, its the difference in experiencing his surprise/curiosity rather than being told about it. Its a harder way to get right but I think its a much better way to write and be told a story.
Kung-Fu-amancer

Postby AngelOfMercy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:54 pm

For the record I really like the style of thees updates.
It made me think about if I would read an ErfWorld novel...
I've always been a fan of Literature without illustration because it lets me see the world in a way I like even more :p
AngelOfMercy

Postby balder » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:49 am

Kung-Fu-amancer wrote:Hello,

just joined up a little while ago. Have to say the series really surprised me in its quality and I can't wait until the new stuff comes out(or the old stuff gets printed in a book :D ). I saw your new narrative style and I was wondering whether or not you would consider doing it from a first person perspective? It so much more of a authentic feel as far characterizations goes, its the difference in experiencing his surprise/curiosity rather than being told about it. Its a harder way to get right but I think its a much better way to write and be told a story.

Hi KF. I have a lot of respect for the first-person narrative. The one series that probably influenced my fiction most, Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber" is told in first-person. But the problem in Erfworld is that we've got other characters to follow, in other places. It may seem that we have most of the interesting ones together now at Gobwin Knob, but wait til we get to the second epilogue, which involves Jillian meeting Don King. Wait til we get a look at Jetstone and meet their new Chief Warlord. I could swap first-person narrators like I am swapping the viewpoint character in this limited third-person omniscient thing I am doing, but I think it would be too jarring, and still farther away from the cinematic graphic-panel perspective everyone is used to. So I'm going to stick with this narrative style for this set of updates.
balder

Postby shneekeythelost » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:55 am

I like the format of the updates. Kinda like the Klogs, with more information and text, but also cool 'scenes' to prepare us for the new layout and style of once familiar scenes, like Gobwin Knob, which has been so radically altered that it would have come as a real shock. Yea, you might have gotten some more "Ooohhh's" and "Ahhhh's" from the dramatic reveal of the New Gobwin Knob, but odds are you'd have also gotten "WTF? That's not Gobwin Knob, that's some oriental place..." along with it.

This works. This works well.

Also, I'd like to humbly submit "The Aftermath" as an alternate title for the period between the 1st and second books. Mostly because there was no actual radiation to deal with, and it also works on multiple levels.
shneekeythelost

Postby kwotski » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Could I suggest "interlogues" ?
kwotski

Postby balder » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:11 am

kwotski wrote:Could I suggest "interlogues" ?

Not bad at all. Goes more in the direction of "Erfworld humor" than some of the other suggestions, too.
balder

Postby shneekeythelost » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:12 am

balder wrote:
kwotski wrote:Could I suggest "interlogues" ?

Not bad at all. Goes more in the direction of "Erfworld humor" than some of the other suggestions, too.

InterKlogs?
shneekeythelost

Postby BarGamer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:56 am

shneekeythelost wrote:InterKlogs?

The only problem with that suggestion, is you'll have to take Wanda out of the cast: Everyone knows there are no womens in the InterKlogs...
*DUCKS, COVERS, FLEES, HIDES!*
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:08 am

I want to make a pun off intermission but all I can come up with is "intermissing"

I'm getting an image of a loading screen...
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Mikalyaran » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:14 am

balder wrote:Hi KF. I have a lot of respect for the first-person narrative. The one series that probably influenced my fiction most, Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber" is told in first-person. But the problem in Erfworld is that we've got other characters to follow, in other places. It may seem that we have most of the interesting ones together now at Gobwin Knob, but wait til we get to the second epilogue, which involves Jillian meeting Don King. Wait til we get a look at Jetstone and meet their new Chief Warlord. I could swap first-person narrators like I am swapping the viewpoint character in this limited third-person omniscient thing I am doing, but I think it would be too jarring, and still farther away from the cinematic graphic-panel perspective everyone is used to. So I'm going to stick with this narrative style for this set of updates.

Oh you devilish man you...dropping bombs so non-chalantly like that. Also a big WOOT for the chronicles of Amber. Ive got the old rp rules for Amber around here somewhere. At some point i must dust them off and get my players into a game.
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby mutecebu » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:43 pm

Regarding the prose:
Fist, it's great, I'm glad the authors can take a chance to do things they can't do in comic form. One thing that feels off to me, is the level of seriousness. Prose just naturally feels more serious than comics. Erfworld is inherently a silly concept, despite the kick-awesome plot (which I adore). The comic obviously doesn't take itself too seriously, which is great. When reading prose about how the short guy rode his dwagons in, and looked at the stats for all the units, sometimes the prose makes it feel more serious, which in turn makes the whole thing look ridiculous. I'd say that's my 2 cents on the matter of prose.

Still and all, though, I'm definitely enjoying it, and of course the summer updates are better than nothing.

Thanks for an amazing story!
mutecebu

Postby Moostikal » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi there. I'm really enjoying the new style, even if i was thinking "What the hell!? i want comics!" after the first update. I think the narrative style is getting far more detail with regards to the character personalities and location descriptions. Are we going to be getting more of this through the 2nd book or is it just for the updates? The pictures to go with are great too, the little faces on the counter-weights of the trebuchets(sp?) was a good touch(orc and gobwin rock lobbas, anyone?).

mutecebu wrote:When reading prose about how the short guy rode his dwagons in, and looked at the stats for all the units, sometimes the prose makes it feel more serious, which in turn makes the whole thing look ridiculous.

Yeah, it does make it a bit ridiculous but that itself was the selling point for me. Taking such a serious tone with such nonsensical subject matter is, to my mind, amazing.

Heh, i only found erfworld like, 3 weeks ago and read the 1st book in one sitting. Great way to spend a sunday hangover...
Moostikal

Postby Alcazabedabra » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Pax wrote:
Lord ivy wrote:I myself am enjoying it. One of the things I really love about Erfworld in general is how unique the world and storytelling is, I just see these updates as another facet of that uniqueness . It seems to be a very good medium to give the reader valuable info in a short period of time and I am always starving for more info :)

........ what he said, word for word. :D

QFT
Alcazabedabra

Postby Happyvampire » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm glad I read this--I thought that these were just extras, or rough drafts/scripts for the comics to come, but now I understand. Yes, the omniprescent narrator will take some getting used to, but other than that, I would like to be able to learn more about Erfworld without clunky and unnecessary panels taking time out of the story to do so. Are you guys switching back to panel-style once the story gets back on track, or is this a permanent development? If it was a permanent development, I wouldn't mind as long as there were more pictures--Jamie's artwork is something that really enhances the comic, and without it, no matter how good the writing, things just wouldn't be the same. Seeing Wanda's striken/hysterical/cruel/tired/heartless face just does it for me more than a paragraph of description. Plus, I love the colors in the comic, especially those used during night scenes (for this, I cite the comic that was mostly narrated by a William Shakespeare quote).
Happyvampire

Postby Bobby Archer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:16 pm

From the May 9th front page (does anyone know an easy way of browsing through the old news updates?):

Book 2 will be a different format from Book 1. It will have the same size pages, still full color and all Jamie's illustration, but larger panels, fewer to a page. This will mean the book will have more pages in it, and that updates can come more frequently, but the amount of plot on the page will be less dense. We should be able to maintain at least 2 pages a week (shooting for 3 or even 4), but as long as Jamie has a day job, there's no way we're going to be able to set a regular schedule.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Pentegarn » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:45 am

I don't get to read all the reactions so this 'people getting on those who don't like the summer update format' surprises me.

I look at it like this; some people like chocolate ice cream, some like strawberry, some like both. Getting mad because someone dislikes the summer updates format is like getting mad because someone doesn't like strawberry ice cream. It isn't for everyone obviously. We should, as stated, accept this.

The only other thing I can say is better the updates than nothing at all. At least I am getting some kind of ice cream. :D
Pentegarn
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Except that the chocolate ice cream in the fall won't make as much sense if you don't eat all the strawberry ice cream here in the summer. And that analogy didn't work at all, but I'm keeping it anyway.
Maldeus

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld