why charlie wants parson.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

why charlie wants parson.

Postby skarl » Fri May 13, 2011 3:57 am

after thinking ALOT, I thought about this, though I don't have any evidence:

why charlie wants parson to join his side

charlie wants him as his heir.
it has been stated that erfworld people may croack naturally if they live for a really long time. we know that charlie never comes out of his tower, and he may live for millions of turns now. what if he gets old and croaks? he may want someone to carry on his buisness. although, it has to be someone who is smart, has great tactical and manipulatious skills, and so on. he may search for someone like that for quit a while. and there is parson! someone who knows like nobody else how to kick the ass of the enemy! the perfect heir for charlie.

charlie may still have hundereds of turns, but he will have to teach parson a lot, like how to hack tinkagrams and how you make a contract that is only good for you. (and much more, what we have seen and not seen in the comic.)

remember, this is 100% speculation. NO evidence.
I'm not serious. I am never serious. seriously!

(please remember that I am a foreign speaker, and therefore make a lot of spelling & gramatic mistakes, and please don't pin me down on my exact formulation.)
skarl

Re: why charlie wants parson.

Postby Atomic » Fri May 13, 2011 3:24 pm

skarl wrote:after thinking ALOT, I thought about this, though I don't have any evidence:

why charlie wants parson to join his side

charlie wants him as his heir.
it has been stated that erfworld people may croack naturally if they live for a really long time. we know that charlie never comes out of his tower, and he may live for millions of turns now. what if he gets old and croaks? he may want someone to carry on his buisness. although, it has to be someone who is smart, has great tactical and manipulatious skills, and so on. he may search for someone like that for quit a while. and there is parson! someone who knows like nobody else how to kick the ass of the enemy! the perfect heir for charlie.

charlie may still have hundereds of turns, but he will have to teach parson a lot, like how to hack tinkagrams and how you make a contract that is only good for you. (and much more, what we have seen and not seen in the comic.)

remember, this is 100% speculation. NO evidence.

Hahaha, I think that's the kicker...there isn't a single drop of evidence to support it. Charlie doesn't trust anyone. Like, seriously. He's even anal about which of his Archons see him.

The amount of actual trust it'd take to say, "Hey, you could totally stage a coup and overthrow me, but I trust you enough...so here ya go!" would be nigh-impossible for Charlie to muster up. Certainly against someone as free-thinking and different as Parson. Parson is, basically, the anti-Charlie. His goals are different, his morals are different, and he doesn't want war. At all.

Aaaaalso, Attunement seems to be a very rare happening. As far as we, the readers, and everybody else in Erfworld knows, no one else has attuned to an Arkentool besides Charlie/Stanly/Wanda. The idea of Charlie training Parson how to use it implies Charlie is certain Parson would attune...which he isn't.

I think, at best, Charlie would either
A.) Want Parson to sit in a room. Waiting until Charlie puts his "end game" strategy into motion...then Parson could proof his strategy before taking over...
or
B.) He'd just want Parson out of the picture. Maybe not dead, in case things get hairy and he needs advice, but it helps if the smartest person in the world is currently held prisoner and unable to oppose your strategies.

Past that, I honestly don't know. I think Heir is a huuuuge leap of logic, though. :lol:

Edit: Also, where was it stated that people in Erfworld can die of natural causes? Not being a jerk, I just honestly don't remember reading that...
Rob Balder wrote:We have one rule in these forums: don't be a dick.
Atomic

Postby skarl » Fri May 13, 2011 4:02 pm

only on the forum. someone said that slately may look old because he actually IS old, and that erfworlders just don't croak naturally because they are fighting and croaking each other all the time.

(actually, I don't know exactly what 'stated' means. I thought it was the same as 'speculated', but it may actually mean 'abselutely sure'. I meant the first. my first words in english where four years ago, in the classroom, and they were not spoken outside the school walls that much.)
I'm not serious. I am never serious. seriously!

(please remember that I am a foreign speaker, and therefore make a lot of spelling & gramatic mistakes, and please don't pin me down on my exact formulation.)
skarl

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Fri May 13, 2011 5:02 pm

skarl wrote:
(actually, I don't know exactly what 'stated' means. I thought it was the same as 'speculated', but it may actually mean 'abselutely sure'. I meant the first. my first words in english where four years ago, in the classroom, and they were not spoken outside the school walls that much.)

English language (and most other languages) is composed of sentences. A statement is a type of sentence. "A sentence can include words grouped meaningfully to express a statement, question, exclamation, request, command or suggestion."

statement "a communication or declaration in speech or writing, setting forth facts, particulars, etc."

On a web comic forum I would assume that "it has been stated" refers to a statement written in the text of the web comic. That could be in the speech bubbles or in one of the text updates. Maybe it could mean something written or said by Rob.

A speculation is always a statement. You can lie and make a false statement. A speculation is when you are not sure of the truth value.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby Hiai » Sun May 15, 2011 5:41 am

Or, to paraphrase in a way that is more particular to the current case:

If one were to refer to a "statement" in Erfworld, it can be assumed that the statement was expressly written by Rob (and therefore Word of the Titans). If one were to refer to a "speculation", it would almost certainly be some sort of theory or comment made by a fan in the forums (and therefore, while perhaps interesting, no real current base in Erfworld established canon).
Hiai

Postby SteveMB » Sun May 15, 2011 10:05 am

pSycHOtic chICkeN wrote:On a web comic forum I would assume that "it has been stated" refers to a statement written in the text of the web comic. That could be in the speech bubbles or in one of the text updates. Maybe it could mean something written or said by Rob.

A statement in dialogue has another complication -- it could be a false in-character statement (i.e. the character is lying or mistaken).
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby badninja » Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 pm

I view Charlie like David Xanatos from Gargoyles. He wants Parson because it fits his plans, he is stated in book 1 as not entering into anything that he will lose. He sees Parson as a threat and saw it right away. It is that simple from my point of view.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Thu May 19, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm holding to my idea of Charlie's interest. He wants him on his side or out of the way. Charlie lives of mercenary work and has a great interest in maintaining the status quo cause he's built his side off exploiting it. Parson is rocking the boat he doesn't want rocked. Better if Parson joins his side, imagine those two working together :shock:
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby gaiaswill » Thu May 19, 2011 10:43 pm

We know that Parson has spent some time thinking about self-sufficiency (via harvesting). This is precisely the thing that Charlie lacks. Not that Charlie necessarily knows about Parson's thought exercises, but it's worth pointing out. Together, they could truly rule Erf.

It's hard to say which way Erf is better off, with the two fighting or with the two cooperating.
gaiaswill
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MarbitChow » Thu May 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Charlie is actually a blonde Kat Dennings look-alike, near Parson's height, who just wants a man who can tell her what to do. She has a twin red-headed 'sister' naughtymancer. She and her sister are looking for the Warlord who can finally whip them into submission.

I probably shouldn't post while drunk.
MarbitChow

Postby Mal » Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 am

Charlie is a kitty. That's my theory. Only kitties can be so devious.

He wants Parson, because Parson is TALL and can reach the food.
Mal, Professional Patsy! You can blame it alllll on me :D
Mal

Postby effataigus » Fri May 20, 2011 11:12 am

badninja wrote:He wants Parson because it fits his plans, he is stated in book 1 as not entering into anything that he will lose. He sees Parson as a threat and saw it right away. It is that simple from my point of view.

Heh, I like this... I think we believe roughly the same thing, though I'd phrase it in the exact opposite way: "Charlie wants Parson because Parson does not fit his plans."
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Postby badninja » Fri May 20, 2011 6:38 pm

effataigus wrote:Heh, I like this... I think we believe roughly the same thing, though I'd phrase it in the exact opposite way: "Charlie wants Parson because Parson does not fit his plans."

I can see this. Parson is a major spanner in the works for Charlie and beat him when Charlie thought he had won.
I came, I saw, I had fun!
badninja

Postby Sieggy » Sun May 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Actually, I think that Parson's ruthlessness in invoking TPK shocked Charlie down to his toenails. I doubt that ANYONE in all of Erf history put it all on the line to that degree, and was willing to destroy EVERYTHING to win . . . or die in the attempt. Remember, Parson basically set off a Genesis device (in Erf terms), and risked instant annihilation by fleeing to the MK. The fact that he survived this was probably even more shocking to Charley, and has scared the wadnips out of him. In Earth terms, it would be like having Cthulhu show up and trashing Area 51, then taking all the people and technology there and deploying it offensively.

Charlie either wants Parson firmly under his thumb or dead DEAD DEAD!!!!!, and is willing to do whatever it takes to either own him or pwn him. Either is acceptable. But a Parson running loose is NOT. The degree of alarm and fear that Charlie feels can only be compared to how Rupert Murdoch feels about Barak Obama, only with more justification.
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Housellama » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Sieggy wrote:Actually, I think that Parson's ruthlessness in invoking TPK shocked Charlie down to his toenails. I doubt that ANYONE in all of Erf history put it all on the line to that degree, and was willing to destroy EVERYTHING to win . . . or die in the attempt. Remember, Parson basically set off a Genesis device (in Erf terms), and risked instant annihilation by fleeing to the MK. The fact that he survived this was probably even more shocking to Charley, and has scared the wadnips out of him. In Earth terms, it would be like having Cthulhu show up and trashing Area 51, then taking all the people and technology there and deploying it offensively.

Charlie either wants Parson firmly under his thumb or dead DEAD DEAD!!!!!, and is willing to do whatever it takes to either own him or pwn him. Either is acceptable. But a Parson running loose is NOT. The degree of alarm and fear that Charlie feels can only be compared to how Rupert Murdoch feels about Barak Obama, only with more justification.

I'm with you on this one. He's after Wanda right now because Wanda is the most DIRECT threat. If he doesn't deal with her right now, Parson might not matter. But ultimately, Parson IS his target. Taking out Wanda weakens Parson, makes him less of a hard target and weakens his ability to affect the board.

I think that ultimately, Charlie would rather have him removed from play than under his thumb. Parson is unpredictable to the point of doing the seemingly impossible. THAT'S why he concerns Charlie so much. Charlie could almost admire his ruthlessness if it wasn't for the fact that Charlie can't predict what he's going to do. He can listen in, but what he hears is outside his experiences completely. Things even he would never think of. Who's to say he couldn't slide out from under Charlie's control through some kind of exploit like that? Alive, no matter how securely leashed he seems to be, Parson is a wild-card. Charlie HATES wild-cards. Especially ones as dangerous as Parson. So I see removing him as Charlie's best option. Be it dead or sent home, doesn't matter, long as he isn't around to mess with Charlie's game.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld