Quick review, printed book 1

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Quick review, printed book 1

Postby gaiaswill » Fri May 13, 2011 6:46 pm

I mostly looked through Book 1 since I knew that had changes. I just skimmed Book 2-1, which to a quick skim appears to be more-or-less the same as what's already online.

Yes, text updates are all there. The summer updates are in book 1.

Rob mentioned that he had to redo all the pages for book 1 because the original web version had text bubbles that covered too much of the art. I appreciate the thought, but personally thought the text ended up being a bit too small in the final product; I had difficulty reading some of the lines through (corrected) 30 year old eyes. I don't know how what Erfworld's demographic is, but I think age 40+ readers would start to have difficulty without a magnifier. (Klogs had nice big text. :D )

I thought the quality of the book overall was ok. It's not far off from what I expected from the price. I wouldn't necessarily call it cheap, but the print quality was a bit sketchy (aggravating the text issue above). Art wise, I thought everything looked a bit too dark. The outdoor scenes are fine, but indoor and shadow scenes suffer the most, particularly the GK tower interior & tunnels.

I figure a hardcover/HQ glossy/omnibus edition of books 1-3 is just something down the road 10-15 years from now. ;)

There are a number of bonus pages spread throughout. They are mostly action scenes that don't change the workings of the story, with one notable exception (page 159).

And maybe I missed it, but I would have liked an index of all the bonus pages. I already knew the story and just wanted to see what was new. When I feel the need to read it cover-to-cover I can log it myself, but that probably won't be in the near future.

I'm disappointed that "knight" was not in the glossary. It stuck out since the hobgobwin definition mentions possible promotion to knight, heavy or warlord and both "heavy" and "warlord" had their own entries. The archon definition mentions the term knight as well. So I'm left wondering what a knight is.

All in all, I'm happy. Though I do view it much more as a capitalist "dollar vote" than a pure product purchase. I kind of wonder how well it will be accepted by non-fan buyers.
gaiaswill
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: Quick review, printed book 1

Postby AVVV » Sat May 28, 2011 8:36 am

Book 1 and Book 2 Issue 1 arrived yesterday to Finland. They're both lovely. The pictures look better in print than even the Toolbox high-res versions -that could at least partially be because I'm more used to comics in print. Reading through both I feel that Xin's art has improved with practice more than Jamie's did; this is to say that IMO Jamie's art was awesome form the start, while Xin's art in the beginning was still mostly aspiring to awesomeness.

I still chuckle at the wordplay and references after several reads and I am entertained by memories of how I totally did not see the resolving action in the Battle for Gobwin Knob coming. So kudos to Rob as well.
AVVV
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Sallo » Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 am

Just received my books in Ottawa, Canada yesterday. Stayed up far too late reading them again.
I like pretty much everything about them.

I have one question, though:
Where are all the rest of the Summer 2009 updates? My copy only has up to page 21.
Will they be added to the full book 2 collection? I really liked those stories and am reading them again now.
Thanks!
Sallo
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Morthe » Sun May 29, 2011 6:45 pm

Books arrived in Berlin, Germany. At least at my place.
looking great!
Morthe
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Muzzafar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 am

gaiaswill wrote:Yes, text updates are all there. The summer updates are in book 1.

Two options:
1. We understand the term "summer updates" differently. My version of Book 1 only contained the mini-arcs with Stanley coming back to Gobwin Knob and Jillian coming to the court of Don King (basically, the ones that were illustrated by Jamie as I understand). Those that were illustrated by guest/fan artists are not included. I wonder whether they are going to be printed and if yes, when.
2. We have different versions of Book 1. Yours include all the summer updates, while mine is as per #1. If this is the case, I wonder how I can get the complete edition.
Muzzafar
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Muzzafar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:33 am

Ok. Erfworld's Facebook page says that Xin is currently busy illustrating the remaining Summer updates, which are to be included into Book 2 Issue 2 if I understand correctly.
Muzzafar

Postby Archaic » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:46 am

I had the same question. Glad to know they're going to be included in Book 2, was a bit worried about that when I found out I had one of the "misprint" books.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Archaic
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby raphfrk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:43 pm

gaiaswill wrote:There are a number of bonus pages spread throughout. They are mostly action scenes that don't change the workings of the story, with one notable exception (page 159).

I created a page on the wiki for this.

The only one I spotted was 149, but it was a fast flick through. I provided a small comment for both (149 and 159) that I don't think gives away any info.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld