The Arkensword

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: The Arkensword

Postby Maldeus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Gobwin Knob's going to be unstoppable with three of four Arkentools. It's ridiculous.
Maldeus

Postby Bobby Archer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 pm

The first rule of any game-like scenario (and most narrative) is that someone always has a bigger stick. There's a lot of world we don't know about yet, and powers that even the units around Gobwin Knob may not be aware of.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Cmdr I. Heartly Noah » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Maldeus wrote:It depends on your definition of "tool." A sword is not your typical toolbox fair, no, but it could still count if you go by the definition of "a man made thing used for practical purposes that is not a machine."

Only if you consider chopping people up "practical." ;p

A bow or spear is more practical (for hunting), but for me, anything with killing as its primary purpose is a weapon, and therefore not a tool.
I am a: Chaotic Neutral Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
Str- 12, Dex- 15, Con- 12, Int- 14, Wis- 11, Cha- 13
Cmdr I. Heartly Noah

Postby Darkside007 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:32 pm

Well, weapons are tools for killing, but given that form of the 3 revealed tools, it seems unlikely that the rest will not be thing you find in a toolbox.
Darkside007

Postby Maldeus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:03 pm

Because most toolboxes have a satellite dish?
Maldeus

Postby Bobby Archer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:25 pm

The best ones do.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby Darkside007 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 am

Maldeus wrote:Because most toolboxes have a satellite dish?

Metaphor, Maldeus.
Darkside007

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:20 pm

Someone really did his research for the Wiki, in the Arkentools entry this is listed under Real World References

Erfworld Wiki wrote:It was pointed out that several characters have names that alludes to companies around the world that manufacture tools:

Stanley manufacture hand tools
Zhejiang Wanda Tools Co. Ltd specialize in making pliers
Dish Network formed by Charles W. "Charlie" Ergen provide satellite television service in the United States
There is a company named Rockwell manufacturing tools.

It is also worth noting that one of the earliest patents for a shovel design was given to James B. Sizemore.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Arkentool

So I'd say the chances for an Arkenshovel are pretty high, and the chances for Sizemore attuning to it are pretty good too. Now, and with this in mind, I'm planning on researching the name of every new character or location for any reference to a tool-making company or inventor.

*EDIT*

Say, if a new side is introduced and it's lead by Decker the Black, I'm betting my gas money for the month that he's got an Arkentool.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby DentedHead » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:52 am

Shovel slipped my mind too. I was thinking of an ArkenSaw, but ArkenShovel or ArkenSpade (has a better ring to it IMO, but my money is on shovel now) would be about right too. It'd almost be wrong not to have Sizemore attune to an ArkenShovel.

Dent.
DentedHead

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:09 am

Okay, so we've got five major members of Team Stanley right now. Stanley and Wanda have both attuned to an Arkentool with clear connections to their names. Sizemore is probably going to net himself an ArkenShovel at some point. That leaves Maggie and Parson, and since Parson wasn't part of the world when the Arkentools were created, it wouldn't surprise me if Maggie attuned to an Arkentool. I've no idea what kind of tool she'd get, however.
Maldeus

Postby raphfrk » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 am

Maldeus wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if Maggie attuned to an Arkentool. I've no idea what kind of tool she'd get, however.

Are you being sarcastic? Clearly, Maggie would get the Arkendish (if she gets a tool) due to Thinkamancy links.

If Sizemore and Maggie obtained tools, then I wonder what a link-up of 3 tool powered casters would result in.

It might give the ability to change the type of hex in a more general way than just exploding a volcano. Maybe, any lifeless hex can be converted into a life bearing hex. For example, something like "plant forest".
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:42 pm

raphfrk wrote:
Maldeus wrote:it wouldn't surprise me if Maggie attuned to an Arkentool. I've no idea what kind of tool she'd get, however.

Are you being sarcastic? Clearly, Maggie would get the Arkendish (if she gets a tool) due to Thinkamancy links.

If Sizemore and Maggie obtained tools, then I wonder what a link-up of 3 tool powered casters would result in.

It might give the ability to change the type of hex in a more general way than just exploding a volcano. Maybe, any lifeless hex can be converted into a life bearing hex. For example, something like "plant forest".

...Oh. Right. Yes, of course. Completely sarcastic. Ha ha! See, I'm laughing and everything. Sarcasm. Of course.
Maldeus

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld