Parson's "Missions"

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Parson's "Missions"

Postby Malanthyus » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Okay, going by Isaac's statement that parson has been "Off Mission" for some time, and the Predictamancer's statement that he isn't, let's take a look at how many "missions" parson is theoretically trying to be used for:

1: Stanley thinks he had Wanda summon Parson to save him, help him gather the arkentools, and conquer Erf.

2: Wand thinks she summoned Parson to help her make Stanley half competent, save her life, and help her bring the arkentools together.

3: The predictamancer from FAQ (Madame Cleo? can't remember her name this second) thinks she's manipulated everyone and everything into summoning Parson to serve/help Wanda and her gathering of the Arkentools. Whether or not that is actually so she can have the arkentools and/or Wanda for herself, remains to be seen.

4: The great Minds (including Isaac) believe they've engineered the summoning of parson to combat the threat of Charlie and his manipulation of all erfworld sides.

5: Janis believes she helped cause parson to be summoned so that he could bring peace to erfworld.

I -think- that's all of them we've seen so far, have I missed any?
Malanthyus

Re: Parson's "Missions"

Postby Housellama » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Parson's own reason. Erfworld didn't summon HIM by accident. Sure, he wanted to command a battle, but he has to have a deeper reason than that. So what is it?
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:56 pm

Now if only Parson could get this much attention in other ways hehe
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Sieggy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey, all he has to do is say "Come here" to one (or more) of the Archons for all the jollies he can handle . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby Housellama » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 pm

Sieggy wrote:Hey, all he has to do is say "Come here" to one (or more) of the Archons for all the jollies he can handle . . .

Edit: Nevermind, the picture got changed. Probably (understandably) edited for publication.

Still, I caught it before it was changed Rob, and my hat is off to you.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama

Postby Sojiko » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:59 am

Malanthyus wrote:3: The predictamancer from FAQ (Madame Cleo? can't remember her name this second) thinks she's manipulated everyone and everything into summoning Parson to serve/help Wanda and her gathering of the Arkentools.
Really? I don't remember where we learned about that.
(also her name is Marie Lavraie)

Housellama wrote:Parson's own reason. Erfworld didn't summon HIM by accident. Sure, he wanted to command a battle, but he has to have a deeper reason than that. So what is it?
That's a motivation and certainly a reason, but not a mission. That made him a good choice for the spell, but the mission given to him is not the accomplishment of his dreams.
Sojiko

Postby wrecan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 am

1. Janis thinks Parson's mission is to bring peace to Erf
  2. Stanley thinks Parson's mission is to make Gobwin Knob the supreme Side.
  3. Wanda thinks Parson's mission is to unite all the Arkentools in one Side, and presumably with attuned users.
  4. The Great Minds seem to think Parson's mission is to take out Charlie and his Arkendish.
  5. Marie thinks Parson's mission is to fulfill some sort of grand destiny, though she hasn't set out the specifics. (I think she thinks he's going to destroy Erf and herald the return of the Titans.)
They may all be correct.
wrecan

Postby raphfrk » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Housellama wrote:Edit: Nevermind, the picture got changed. Probably (understandably) edited for publication.

Which page, you can't make a comment like that and give no more info :)?
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Housellama » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:25 pm

raphfrk wrote:
Housellama wrote:Edit: Nevermind, the picture got changed. Probably (understandably) edited for publication.

Which page, you can't make a comment like that and give no more info :)?

PM me for more details. The page in question was edited when it was published for very good reasons. I'm not going to broadcast it over the forums if Rob and company felt it was prudent to change it before it went to press.

Housellama

Postby Swodaems » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm pretty sure that Marie intends for Parson to become the 'perfect' ruler. Think about what she's done so far.

She's arranged for the SPW spell to be cast by a chief caster not particularly attached to her overlord. (I'm guessing she knew exactly what would happen if she offered that pricing scheme to GK.) Considering the SPW is best decribed as 'find and summon a Warlord who matches the parameters that are specified as being characteristics of a "Perfect" warlord,' Wanda casting the spell while irritated by Stanley, may have resulted in her desires for a more competant ruler to leak into the spell. Marie herself probably leaked some of her ideas of what constituted a perfect warlord/ruler into the spell.

Marie is also pushing for Parson to go thru a portal to a capital site that GK is about to capture. We still haven't been told in the comic or the text updates if that portal would remain once GK grabs the city. For all we know, each side may be restricted to one portal each, located in their primary capital. Given Parson's inability to be carried by Dwagon, his unknown move, (He has move now, but how much?), and an unknown amount of Charlie's forces in the area, Parson may very well be trapped in Spacerock if he goes there and GK then succeeds in capture the city. The best way he would have to ever get back to either the city of GK or the MK would be to spin off a new side, thereby opening a new portal.

I like the explanation of Marie trying to set up Parson as a ruler due to its simplicity and its personification of the human condition. People don't naturally think up overly complex plans on how they are going to do something Epic regardless of cost. Marie is just another person critical of the world trying to solve her problems by shoving them off on other people.

However, I actually hate the idea of that plan actually working out for Marie. It's not a story/plot issue that I have that plan. It's a message issue. People should be encouraged to solve their own problems if they want to improve their lives, not rely on someone else to try and do it for you based of whatever impressions they have of your will. If you want a job done right, you should do it yourself. If you hold on to your dreams, follow your star, and wish as hard as you can, you will still always be beat by those who work their asses off, putting actual effort into what they do for a living.

(Of course, with this idea, why Parson would allow himself to be trapped this way has to be explained. The options of how to do that are frankly horrible. While the Fate spell may be controlling his actions in this regard, from a personal point of view, Parson would have to be either purposefully derilictful of duty or incompetant to allow himself to be trapped like this. Of course, Parson being a unreliable incompetant is nothing new actually. It's how he was introduced and probably how he'll stay.)
Swodaems

Postby Swodaems » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:01 pm

Yes, I'm double-posting here, but It has been 3 weeks between posts and I think that the reveal of the fact that Parson will indeed be trapped in Spacerock should he succeed in getting there and taking it requires some thread croakamancy.
Swodaems

Return to Everything Else Erfworld