Continuity Error..?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Continuity Error..?

Postby 0beron » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:39 am

Has anyone else noticed that on page 63 JoJo says that Parson is "blocking" magic with the Staff of Suckage...yet on 67 Parson is suddenly concerned about Thinkamancers incapacitating him with spells?
Could this be a continuity oversight, or a glimpse into magic item/artifact mechanics...?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Re: Continuity Error..?

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:51 am

0beron wrote:Has anyone else noticed that on page 63 JoJo says that Parson is "blocking" magic with the Staff of Suckage...yet on 67 Parson is suddenly concerned about Thinkamancers incapacitating him with spells?
Could this be a continuity oversight, or a glimpse into magic item/artifact mechanics...?

A glimpse into mechanics, most likely. The staff may have, say a 50% or 75% chance to block a spell. Jojo would not risk a 1 in 2 or a 3 in 4 chance of the scroll being wasted.
On the other hand, there are 7 thinkamancers gathered around the portal. If we assume a 75% chance to block, then the odds of all 7 casters being blocked is only 13% - 87% odds of dropping Parson are enough to make him hesitate.
MarbitChow

Postby Beeskee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Or if it can only block 1 spell at a time, and all the thinkamancers would gang up on him at once.

I'm not saying that is the mechanic, just one possibility. We don't know the exact details behind it, other than it blocks magic enough that Jojo wasn't willing to risk the chance that his scroll would fail.
Beeskee
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby the_tick_rules » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 pm

i didn't notice that, maybe.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby Lamech » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:39 am

Bunch of possible reasons for this.
1) Percent chance of block. IMO unlikely since we see Wanda bouncing all archon shots.
2) Only bounces certain effects. Possible. This would make having lots of ways to stop Parson important.
3) Weakens incoming spells: Blast attack II becomes nothing, but Blast Attack V becomes Blast Attack II. So if the scroll was "banish super-summon" it might become "not quite banish super-summon"
4) Parson must focus on the effect to some degree. So if Jojo hits him with a banish spell and Parson tries to block the banish, he would block any number of banish spells, but if the casters try stun, sleep, and confuse Parson might only get 2. Again makes the GMtTA having numerous anti-Parson measures important.
Lamech

Postby GaryThunder » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 am

A magic item that protects you from one caster slinging one spell is in a different league than a magic item that renders you immune to a picked team of elite high-level casters. Was I Parson, I wouldn't rely on any non-100% protection against the combined might of the Great Minds.
GaryThunder

Return to Everything Else Erfworld