See ya, Erfworld

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: See ya, Erfworld

Postby Beeskee » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:50 pm

drachefly wrote:I would be very happy with a completed half-page (roughly speaking/on average, if a page does not divide in half), twice as often. I suspect that this would not take noticeably more work, but it would do wonders for the update schedule.

Depends on how the artist draws/colors it. They may do panels out of sequence. That said, yes, I'd love a half a page twice as often, if at all possible.
Beeskee

Postby Tensor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Beeskee wrote:
drachefly wrote:I would be very happy with a completed half-page (roughly speaking/on average, if a page does not divide in half), twice as often. I suspect that this would not take noticeably more work, but it would do wonders for the update schedule.

Depends on how the artist draws/colors it. They may do panels out of sequence. That said, yes, I'd love a half a page twice as often, if at all possible.

I can see it now...

Full-color pages occur on a somewhat regular frequency
Full-color updates slow down, add supplemental text updates to offset the time to make the full-color pages
Full-color updates slow down even more, text updates are "promoted" to be part of the actual updates
Text updates are given the heave-ho because of conventions, full-color updates creep out at less than 2/month
^^^ past ^^^
vvv future vvv
6-panel half-pages are created that creep out at less than 4/month
Half pages are "promoted" to be full updates
Half-pages creep out at less than 2/month
Contract is signed with Inuit Eskimos in order to save 2.5 cents for each book printed
Book 2 is delayed due to books being encased in ice upon delivery
Convention appearances delay Book 2's release by 2 more years
Book 2 printing is canceled due to Eskimo labor disputes
Book 3 online is canceled 3.5 months into the story (with 4 total updates and one klog)
Work begins on Duel in the Somme II
Erfworld.com is sold to the Chinese and becomes a search engine for people with lisps
<<< years later >>>
Rob sits in a dank, cold room clutching half-finished text updates with his gnarled, wizened hands repeating to himself "tell a good story and all is forgiven" "tell a good story and all is forgiven"...
Tensor

Postby Beeskee » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:33 am

I lol'd. :D
Beeskee

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 am

i haven't logged in since i stopped being a tool...more or less at the start of book 2. i've been casually reading book 2 and about 1/3rd of the way in i removed the link from my fav's however GITP still links here so i just started using that link instead whenever i checked GITP

this is the first time i've read this forum in a very long time because wanted to get SOMETHING of an idea as to why the update pace has been so glacial. not just chronolgically but the story itself when it is updated is just the same thing repeatedly.

dragonball z climactic final battles take a fraction of the time these guys discuss nothing in. the previous update dedicates half the page to parson using his calculator. the current page dedicates half the panels to describing the mars attacks outfit's various attributes. the first book had zombie ddr fights, exploding mountains, that story was epic. this one has spent 75% of the updates going on about how awesome parson's plan will be.

reading robs news posts has left me believeing if this comic doesn't start updating more consistently he wont have a comic to promote at all these cons.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:52 pm

irt. Tensor:

At first I lol-ed. But then ...

irt. moose o death:

Holy shit moose o death yer back! Sorta? Anyway, upon reading

moose o death wrote: dragonball z climactic final battles take a fraction of the time these guys discuss nothing in.

I serious'd. Dang were those episodes of DBZ dragged out. I watched one or two, I forget, but bottom line was, they ended much as they began, with the same two fighters making constipated faces in preparation for some supposedly awesome attack.

... and at times Erfworld feels like that too alas. Not the speed of updating but the story itself seems the root cause, with update (in)freqeuency an aggravating factor.

When Book 2 started, the whole proceedings seemed sorta directionless to me. After that, it seemed like they were finding a new direction (Parson's character development), and after after that, it's ...tricky. I feel as if the story is losing direction again, more intent on sprinkling references to bad sitcoms and over-rated groundhogs than actually moving forward. I suppose that there had to be a time when the previously hinted at conspiracies of GMtTA and Predictamancers would come to the fore, which is why I'm not content to call it directionless now.

I'd hope that my patience is "rewarded" by Book 2 having just as awesome an end as Book 1. Hopefully we'll find out before the Ape revolution.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 pm

here's a somewhat frightening stat. i stopped posting in november 2009 and i STILL have just over 1% of the total post count.

if anyone's interested, locus is the polar opposite to erfworld. it's updated 3 times a week and has never missed a single update despite shifting between four seperate webhosts. i've been hanging out there. you can find it yourselves if your interested. i'm not here to poach readers. i just wanted to point out some webcomics can maintain something akin to consistency. it does need more readers though.

also GITP has updated twice since the last update here. i think that officially constitutes hell having frozen over. the zombies will arrive shortly

edit: wow my sig links blogspot? ancient news that.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 pm

moose o death wrote:here's a somewhat frightening stat. i stopped posting in november 2009 and i STILL have just over 1% of the total post count.

I know. I have like 50%, and I really don't comment all that often. 3 posts a day average is nothing.

moose o death wrote:locus

Archive binged it. Good stuff! I'm not sure I like how the magical realism* twists in on itself, but credit where it's due, suspense is kept, stuff is happening at a brisk pace, and don't get me wrong, the mythology IS interesting. I'll start checking it out more often.

Also, I noticed some people *cough* have a habit of "remixing" the pages. Nice!

*: for lack of a better phrase
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sixty » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:29 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Housellama wrote:Seriously. Stop complaining about a half finished product and let the man tell his story. Of course it feels incomplete. That's because it IS incomplete. Rob's as good with plot as Xin is with art. He's still working here. Give him a chance to finish the plotline before you make a judgement on it.

Seriously stop telling us what to do.

Technically isn't telling him to stop telling us what to do telling him what to do?
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Well, he did open himself up to a 'tu quoque'.
drachefly

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:05 am

Sixty wrote:Technically isn't telling him to stop telling us what to do telling him what to do?

I will not tolerate intolerance.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Sieggy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 am

[/quote] Seriously stop telling us what to do.[/quote]

[/quote]Technically isn't telling him to stop telling us what to do telling him what to do?[/quote]

A telling argument, indeed . . . Look, if you're having problems with the pacing, just wait for the dead tree version to come out, and then read it at your leisure, as fast or slow as you like. While I agree the pacing is slow, there are other strips I enjoy which post slowly (UNA Frontiers is a good example), which means I simply appreciate the updates all the more when they come out. I would much rather see a finely crafted, well written work than something that came out to meet a deadline. The world is filled with examples of those types of things, which is why there's so much crap out there. (Yahoo and Facebook upgrades as cases in point, though I think those have more to do with a failure to drug test senior management on a regular basis, or at least administer beatings as needed . . .)

Telling Rob to pick up the pace is like telling your wife in labor to hurry it up. You can go in with a pair of salad tongs to force the issue, but you won't like the results . . .
The Truth Will Set You Free. But First It Will Piss You Off.
Sieggy

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:00 am

Sieggy wrote:While I agree the pacing is slow, there are other strips I enjoy which post slowly (UNA Frontiers is a good example), which means I simply appreciate the updates all the more when they come out. I would much rather see a finely crafted, well written work than something that came out to meet a deadline.

And that's perfectly fine for ya. But why do you and Housellama insist that you should tell others how to feel though? And btw., the pacing of updates sucks: this is not a complaint, it's a fact. "Wait for the dead tree version": ok, how do I know I won't be paper mulch myself by that time? The world's a bad awful place.

And seriously, who are you, or Housellama, to demand that people not be annoyed? Is being annoyed some kind of thought-crime or what?

Sieggy wrote:Telling Rob to pick up the pace is like telling your wife in labor to hurry it up. You can go in with a pair of salad tongs to force the issue, but you won't like the results . . .

When the labor takes 2+ years, I think it IS time to have a chit-chat with the MD in the house.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Ptharien's Flame » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:34 am

Sieggy wrote:Telling Rob to pick up the pace is like telling your wife in labor to hurry it up. You can go in with a pair of salad tongs to force the issue, but you won't like the results . . .

I'm now imagining someone trying to extract Erfworld strips from Rob's brain using salad tongs. :lol:
Ptharien's Flame

Postby Tensor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:35 pm

It's evident to me that Erfworld is dying, and we're simply experiencing the death throes.

* Updates are grinding to a halt
* Plot is stagnant even when it does update
* Text updates have been 86'd because...Rob is so busy (doing what exactly I don't know)
* Rob has given up even trying to communicate with us. The last update that wasn't some bs plea to support some stupid conference 98% of the fans can't possibly get to was two months ago

So yeah, we'll all be dust in the ground before this breached-birth of a story known as Book 2 is finished.
Tensor

Postby drachefly » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Wanne bet?
drachefly

Postby MoredanKantose » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 am

Consider your own finances before signing up

No. The point is, consider if a comic is worth $3 for getting better quality in three pages of it.

I just try to delete my toolbox account. I do not know how. I sent a message, but if somebody can tell me how to do it I would be thankful.

UPDATE: Subject resolved. In PayPal, there is an option to manage your transactions. There you can cancel your abonnement.
~ No longer a supporter (proud or not) ~
MoredanKantose

Postby Housellama » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:And seriously, who are you, or Housellama, to demand that people not be annoyed? Is being annoyed some kind of thought-crime or what?

It turns out that my wording was a little stronger than I intended it to be. I regret that. It wasn't the complaints about pace that I was bothered by. It was the disrespect that they contained.

I'm finished with that battle. Carry on as you will.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:54 am

it took 2 years to get book one out after it finished. book 2 wont be around til at least early 2014 at this rate...so no, waiting for a deadtree format comic isn't going to work.
moose o death

Postby Godsire » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:39 am

I would like to know when we're able to expect a "normal" or close to normal update schedule again.

If it's going to continue like this for some months, I would have to revise my opinion on Erfworld and maybe plug out of it for my own good.

Any insights on that, Rob?
Godsire

Postby Steve-D » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Have made my thoughts on updates known previously in this thread, and don't want to continue harping on about it, but I'm getting a little confused over the lack of communication from Rob on...well, anything really.
Steve-D

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld