This comic has added the term "stack" to my parlance.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

This comic has added the term "stack" to my parlance.

Postby GaryThunder » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:32 am

I now use it for a whole lot of things.

"Yeah, there were cop cars stacked up floor to ceiling over there. Maybe somebody died."
"All right, guys, let's stack up and head out."
"I've got a pretty big stack waiting for me back at my place, everyone's there."

...Now it no longer looks like a word.
GaryThunder

Re: This comic has added the term "stack" to my parlance.

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:32 am

"The stacked Hooters waitresses approached the table and began to sing in honor of his birthday." Yeah, I can see this catching on!
MarbitChow

Postby GaryThunder » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:51 am

If only real warfare had these kinds of concretely represented mechanics. It would make warring a lot easier. "Yeah, we're gonna roll you with max stacks with high-level leadership, you're toast. You absolutely do not have the points to beat us. Just surrender now so there doesn't need to be bloodshed."

I suppose there is such a thing as stack bonuses in this world, or something like it, but it's abstracted into the background.
GaryThunder

Postby Housellama » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:07 pm

GaryThunder wrote:I suppose there is such a thing as stack bonuses in this world, or something like it, but it's abstracted into the background.

Yes. It's called bureaucracy. Units, especially COMBAT units, can only get so big before the chains of command and communication become... difficult. Active combat units need a level of clarity and efficiency in their orders so that they can function effectively.

Single units acting alone receive no bonus. Two units acting in coordination can attack with a force greater than the sum of the parts. You can add units to achieve a greater effect, but ONLY to a certain level before the amount of time and effort it takes to coordinate those units becomes too much and it can't be effectively achieved.

That's pretty booping close to a stack bonus mechanic.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Ptharien's Flame » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 pm

I'll occasionally forget and say "dwagon" or "spidew" instead of the real word when I am talking to friends.
Ptharien's Flame

Return to Everything Else Erfworld