Ova!

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Ova!

Postby DevilDan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:01 pm

If Stanley is eating eggs here TBFGK 39:4, does that mean that some species of bird does procreate on Erf?
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_39:4

Or do eggs just pop? And if so, do they hatch? (Yes, I realize that his breakfast was popped rather than prepared, but that still means that they have some concept on Erf of what eggs are...)

Or am I just reading too much into a minor detail?
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Re: Ova!

Postby Kreistor » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Sushi pops as rations. So can eggs over easy.
http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_1 Here you can find all comic pages written as text for convenient quoting.

http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/Erfworld_Mechanics The starting page for accessing all known Erfworld "rules".
Kreistor

Postby DevilDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:02 am

I did address that point in my own post. Oh, well, I tried.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby DevilDan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Haha, I'd missed the fact that Stanley almost mentions eggs in Summer Update 009:
"Oh I mean you did pretty good here on your own. Well..." Stanley looked down at the ground, craning his neck over the dwagon's. "You did break the mountain. But hey, like they say, you can't make an omelet without...you know."
DevilDan

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:01 pm

I'd hazard that birds lay/pop eggs, but the eggs are not fertile - they're simply raw materials for rations, just like a lot of the inanimate or noncombatant objects on Erf.
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

Postby DevilDan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Menlo Marseilles wrote:I'd hazard that birds lay/pop eggs, but the eggs are not fertile - they're simply raw materials for rations, just like a lot of the inanimate or noncombatant objects on Erf.

Perfectly sensible. Thanks. Though this does take us back to wondering if there are "civilian" units such as farmers and to wondering if there is agriculture. Fish and goats suggest the possibility of domestication of animals as a food source—assuming that some form of animal husbandry could affect the popping rate in hexes where they'd naturally pop. Aqua Velva had rations including olives and nuts prepared for JIllian.
DevilDan

Postby Maldeus » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:43 pm

DevilDan wrote:
Menlo Marseilles wrote:I'd hazard that birds lay/pop eggs, but the eggs are not fertile - they're simply raw materials for rations, just like a lot of the inanimate or noncombatant objects on Erf.

Perfectly sensible. Thanks. Though this does take us back to wondering if there are "civilian" units such as farmers and to wondering if there is agriculture. Fish and goats suggest the possibility of domestication of animals as a food source—assuming that some form of animal husbandry could affect the popping rate in hexes where they'd naturally pop. Aqua Velva had rations including olives and nuts prepared for JIllian.

Gobwins are seen mining in the first issue (in a flashback). Personally, I'm of the theory that any military unit can become a civilian unit, but there's no real evidence one way or another.
Maldeus

Speculation is fun!

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:17 pm

DevilDan wrote:Perfectly sensible. Thanks. Though this does take us back to wondering if there are "civilian" units such as farmers and to wondering if there is agriculture. Fish and goats suggest the possibility of domestication of animals as a food source—assuming that some form of animal husbandry could affect the popping rate in hexes where they'd naturally pop. Aqua Velva had rations including olives and nuts prepared for JIllian.
Agriculture of some kind is likely, given the context clues. After all, farms were - according to Jillian - part of how Faq survived, plus the notes you already made imply that nonessential rations must be popped from somewhere. Maybe something like, the ruler orders a farm built on an arable hex and assigns units there (much like gobwins assigned to mining) and then it pops fruit trees, chickens, etc. at some rate proportional to the terrain type and the amount farms cost.
Maldeus wrote:Gobwins are seen mining in the first issue (in a flashback). Personally, I'm of the theory that any military unit can become a civilian unit, but there's no real evidence one way or another.
Quite. Of course, "swords to plowshares" assignments such as this probably contributed to the "troops" of Faq being so ill-prepared for a real battle...
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

Postby Maldeus » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:52 am

It should be noted that, whatever the function of farms, Parson's rations are popped through sheer shmuckerage. No way Gobwin Knob had Stupid Meals in their food reserves before Parson was summoned, and no way Stanley left any units out in farms with the Royal Crown Coalition bearing down on him. I assume that this is how rations usually work.

Also, the troops of Faq were probably ill-prepared for battle primarily because they had no prior experience (as in they were all level one).
Maldeus

Postby DevilDan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 am

Maldeus wrote:It should be noted that, whatever the function of farms, Parson's rations are popped through sheer shmuckerage. No way Gobwin Knob had Stupid Meals in their food reserves before Parson was summoned, and no way Stanley left any units out in farms with the Royal Crown Coalition bearing down on him. I assume that this is how rations usually work.

I think everyone assumed that.

Maldeus wrote:Also, the troops of Faq were probably ill-prepared for battle primarily because they had no prior experience (as in they were all level one).

Of course, we still don't know all the ways that units level. Nor do we know that they all pop at level one.
DevilDan

Return to Everything Else Erfworld