Book 0

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Book 0

Postby Kaed » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:40 pm

So, I assume by now everyone has read the latest news post. If not, DO! It's actually kind of important.

Everyone up to date?

Alright. With the news of Erfworld's forwards-hiatus, it looks like we're turning towards the past. I'm actually pretty excited abuot this, mainly because it gives us a look into the world of... well... Erfworld without Parson in it. Parson has been an immense gamechanger for everyone, and having a lot at how everyone works Pre-Parson will be very interesting, I think. What are your people's thoughts on this development?

As an unrelated side-note, Rob reminded me NaNoWriMo is coming up. I should get to work on that soon. xD
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Re: Book 0

Postby happyturtle » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I love it. Jillian and Jack and Wanda and Marie and Banhammer... can't wait! :D

"Tada. You and I should have worked up a dance routine around such moves, Lady. We'd have croaked them at the Court of Faq."

The Mistress seemed vaguely amused at the idea, and raised the 'pliers again. "We couldn't have. I didn't have these, then."

"Nor did you need them, to croak them at the Court of Faq," he said pointedly. "You must have danced divinely that day."

"I must have," she agreed, her voice betraying nothing. "That is the only way I know how."

http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -04-14.png
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:49 pm

Kaed wrote:Alright. With the news of Erfworld's forwards-hiatus, it looks like we're turning towards the past.

Bad time to point out that Parson *still* hasn't gone through the portal :) ?

I'm actually pretty excited abuot this, mainly because it gives us a look into the world of... well... Erfworld without Parson in it. Parson has been an immense gamechanger for everyone, and having a lot at how everyone works Pre-Parson will be very interesting, I think. What are your people's thoughts on this development?

Yeah, also nice to see changes/streamlining to the comic production system and that Rob is switching full time to writing the comic, should help with maintaining the MWF production rate.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Raza » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm... excited, actually, about these announced changes. It all sounds like it'll be a good thing in the mid-to-long term.

I guess being able to switch freely between scripting comics and writing prose is a boon for an author in turbulent situations like these. Knowing Rob's work though, I feel three text updates a week is... optimistic. He seems more the type to write an awesome novel in a year than a good one in a month. Here's hoping I'm wrong about that, and he can in fact do both.

raphfrk wrote:
Kaed wrote:Alright. With the news of Erfworld's forwards-hiatus, it looks like we're turning towards the past.

Wasn't that MiniMeMe originally about the GK's portal, though?
Raza

Postby Chit Rule Railroad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Kaed wrote:Alright. With the news of Erfworld's forwards-hiatus, it looks like we're turning towards the past. I'm actually pretty excited abuot this, mainly because it gives us a look into the world of... well... Erfworld without Parson in it. Parson has been an immense gamechanger for everyone, and having a lot at how everyone works Pre-Parson will be very interesting, I think. What are your people's thoughts on this development?

Ditto!

happyturtle wrote:I love it. Jillian and Jack and Wanda and Marie and Banhammer... can't wait! :D

Jack will be fun, and it will be interesting to see him pre-Eyemancer-link-up. I'm very curious to see if Wanda was different back then. I bet Marie's motivations will remain a cypher in the prequel and become clear in Book 3. Can't wait to meet Banhammer.

I guess we'll meet King Saline IV, too, and Stanley will be more comfortable in his skin as a warlord. And Sizemore might actually be happy, since he's nostalgic for Saline IV. I suppose Maggie was probably the chief caster for GK; it will be interesting to see her reaction to losing out to Wanda. It would be very interesting if we get to see the decision-making process around the Eyemancer link-up. Someone is probably going to come out of that looking like a monster. (Putting on tin-foil hat: maybe it was really Maggie's idea, not Stanley's.)

I wonder if we'll get to see (well, not literally) more of Charlie's pre-Parson arrogance, as the main competitor to Faq's mercenary business. It seems likely that he knew about Faq.
Chit Rule Railroad
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby happyturtle » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:45 pm

The Eyemancer link up - that's probably why Jack and Maggy both have gray skin. *feels dumb for not making that connection before*
happyturtle
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:09 am

Raza wrote:I guess being able to switch freely between scripting comics and writing prose is a boon for an author in turbulent situations like these. Knowing Rob's work though, I feel three text updates a week is... optimistic. He seems more the type to write an awesome novel in a year than a good one in a month. Here's hoping I'm wrong about that, and he can in fact do both.

Actually, that's kind of the point. Rob is doing this for NaNoWriMo, which is an unofficial challenge to write a large amount of story text (50k words, I think?) within a month, with emphasis on quantity rather than quality.

This is why he has said it is all a rough draft, and subject to retconjuration/editing.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:03 pm

I agree that the production process changes are good news, yes. Which yeah, sounds strange given the context in which they were announced, but setting aside the awful context for the moment, the changes themselves are good.

raphfrk wrote:

And never will ;) j/k

So yeah. Prequels. I kinda fear that Saline and Banhammer will turn out to be such loveable rogues we'll be sad to see them go.

Also, MISTY! BOGROLL! WOOOOOO!

Also also, I need to find out about this NaNoWriMo.
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:06 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Also also, I need to find out about this NaNoWriMo.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/ :)

I'm looking forward to meeting Misty too, now that you mention it. We hardly got to know her before, well... I guess Wanda killed her, but Stanley was responsible.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Kaed wrote:
BLANDCorporatio wrote:Also also, I need to find out about this NaNoWriMo.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/ :)

Do they accept fan-fiction too? There's this glimmer of an idea that's been sloshing in my head, waiting for the inevitable dusting of that blob of pixels that I use for most avatars. Unlikely that said event will happen before NaNoWriMo, but I guess I could take some liberties. (Heck, references to Erfworld would have been almost absent anyway, except in the setup; all it takes is the will to write, I guess)
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:17 pm

Aw, missing Silvia already? She ain't gone yet, don't be that way! xD

And sure, I looked - as long as it reaches 50k words, it'll be fine. It's preferred it has you know, novel characteristics. Like a plot, characters, conflict... but I think a fanfic would work fine. It's the quantity that's the challenge.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Kaed wrote:Aw, missing Silvia already? She ain't gone yet, don't be that way! xD

More to the point, I need to see what I can use as an av during the hiatus.

Kaed wrote:And sure, I looked - as long as it reaches 50k words, it'll be fine. It's preferred it has you know, novel characteristics. Like a plot, characters, conflict...

Shit. And here I hoped my dada collection of spam posts would be a valid entry.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:25 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:
Kaed wrote:Shit. And here I hoped my dada collection of spam posts would be a valid entry.

I dunno man... there's some weird stuff in there. It's almost like a novel...written by an insane plagerist... who doesn't understand english properly
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Raza » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Kaed wrote:
Raza wrote:I guess being able to switch freely between scripting comics and writing prose is a boon for an author in turbulent situations like these. Knowing Rob's work though, I feel three text updates a week is... optimistic. He seems more the type to write an awesome novel in a year than a good one in a month. Here's hoping I'm wrong about that, and he can in fact do both.

Actually, that's kind of the point. Rob is doing this for NaNoWriMo, which is an unofficial challenge to write a large amount of story text (50k words, I think?) within a month, with emphasis on quantity rather than quality.

This is why he has said it is all a rough draft, and subject to retconjuration/editing.

I am aware.

What I'm saying is that I don't see him doing that. He might fully intend to, but I know from experience that holding your work to the highest standard you can manage before showing it off can be a very difficult habit to break, and this urge appears to run particularly strongly in Rob.

Speculation, of course, and I'm ready to be proven wrong, but that is my prediction.
Raza

Postby drachefly » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:23 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:Also, MISTY! BOGROLL! WOOOOOO!

My response is rather similar to Rainbow Dash's upon meeting the thunderbolts for the first time.

Anyway… adapting your process to reality is a good thing. I don't feel bad about being antsy before - they could have adapted their process to reality much earlier.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:33 pm

drachefly wrote:My response is rather similar to Rainbow Dash's upon meeting the thunderbolts for the first time.

Omg. Bronies. They really are everywhere.

drachefly wrote:Anyway… adapting your process to reality is a good thing. I don't feel bad about being antsy before - they could have adapted their process to reality much earlier.

Stole the words right from my squeamish mouth.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby vintermann » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:44 am

I'm not entirely sure about this "quick drafts, subject to retconjuration" stuff. What about my comfortable belief that the author has a Grand Plan with it All?

Do I really want to know how the sausage is made?
vintermann

Postby MarbitChow » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:28 am

vintermann wrote:I'm not entirely sure about this "quick drafts, subject to retconjuration" stuff. What about my comfortable belief that the author has a Grand Plan with it All?

Don't worry - Rob is still infallible when he's speaking "Ex Cathedra".

Oh, wait, I may be thinking of someone else...

No, I'm pretty sure it's Rob. Never mind.
MarbitChow

Postby drachefly » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:47 pm

vintermann wrote:I'm not entirely sure about this "quick drafts, subject to retconjuration" stuff. What about my comfortable belief that the author has a Grand Plan with it All?

Grand Plans are… grand. That is, large-scale. Just because he knows where he's going doesn't mean he knows where the road work and heavy traffic are. he might have to pull out the GPS and take a detour.
drachefly

Postby effataigus » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 am

Ummm,

Is nobody going to address the white picket fence in the room?

'Cause that's weirding me out.
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld