Dollamancer?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Dollamancer?

Postby Kaed » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:20 am

Besides Warlords, Casters, Doombats and a few Men, the city was mainly defended by Dolls, Molls, Guard Goyles and Skanks. The Dolls and Molls were animated mannequins and statues, used as much for decoration as defense. The Goyles were flying infantry units with some natural casting abilities, like Archons. And like Archons, they were nearly all female. The Skanks were simply elite, knight-class Goyles.

Okay so.

Transylvito has a Dollamancer. Discuss.

If so, this will be the first example of the Spookism school. I wonder what a Turnamancer and Weirdomancer do.
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Re: Dollamancer?

Postby moose o death » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:24 am

you didn't say please.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Erk » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:03 pm

Urgh, yeah. Posting a topic hook and then saying "discuss" is high on my peeve list too. Been out of high school for ten years, and you were never one of my teachers when I was still there, Kaed ;)

Besides that, what is there to discuss? Transilvito has a dollmancer. That's all we know so far, except what we already surmised: Dollmancers build units.
Rumours of my croaking have been greatly exaggerated.

Race: Men
Class: Caster (Healomancer)
Level: 3
Special: Exhausted
Erk

Postby DevilDan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:58 am

# "The radical reconstruction of the South after the Civil War was neither radical nor a reconstruction. Discuss."
# "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire. Discuss."
# "The peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Discuss."
# "Ralph Fiennes is spelled neither rafe nor fines. Discuss."
# "Duran Duran is neither a Duran nor a Duran. Discuss."
# "Rhode Island is neither a road nor is it an island. Discuss."
# "The Thighmaster is neither a thigh nor a master. Discuss."
# "The Progressive Era was neither progressive nor an era. Discuss."
# "Did Truman drop the bomb on the Japanese to end the war or to scare the hell out of the Russians? Discuss."
# "The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is neither Mormon nor a tabernacle nor a choir. Discuss."
# "The New Deal was neither new nor was it a deal. Discuss."
# "The Romanesque Church design was based on the Roman Basilica. Discuss."
# "The chickpea is neither a chick nor a pea. Discuss."

(Courtesy of Linda Richman, "Coffee Talk.")
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Kaed » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 am

Okay the point has been made. =/ No more obnoxious responses please.

Especially you Devil Dan >.>
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:05 pm

Spookism is defined by motion alone.If Dollamancy creating constructs, automata, then it makes sense that this magic lies in the Fate-alignment of Spookism,

In the past, I had considered that Turnamancy, given its Erf alignment, referred to the manipulation of the passage of time, of turns, etc. After all, "Erf and Motion" seems like a good description of the progression of day and night, right? Others have mentioned this, I'm sure. (However, I would be tempted to guess that same, albeit considering it a weaker case, for Date-a-mancy, which is also aligned with numbers. And we know that Hippiemancies can affect at least the perception of time... but HIppiemancy also gives people the munchies, so who knows? On the other hand, Date-a-mancy smells like some form of divination to me, akin to numerology: that might be a waste of a perfectly good magic slot, though.)

As to weirdomancy... What does Motion + Numbers give us? My initial instinct (particularly because of its alignment with Numbers) is that you would use it to affect probabilities, basically cause weird things to happen. However, we already know that luckamancy, despite its Erf-alignment, already does that.

Whatever else we can say about Erf magics, their names and the logic behind them are not easy to decipher.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:43 pm

keep in mind these things may be deliberately abstract. eg dirtamancy wouldn't realy imply it handles fecal matter. but everyday sizemore manufactures more crap golems
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Anton Gaist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:07 am

DevilDan wrote:As to weirdomancy... What does Motion + Numbers give us? My initial instinct (particularly because of its alignment with Numbers) is that you would use it to affect probabilities, basically cause weird things to happen. However, we already know that luckamancy, despite its Erf-alignment, already does that.

Speed, maybe? The ability to increase or decrease the Move of a unit, perhaps.

As for the Dollamancer, that one has been busy indeed. First the scarecrows in Aqua Velva and now this. Granted, Transylvito hasn't been attacked in thousands of turns and I'm under the assumption that TV favors aerial warfare so their constructs are used mainly for defense, but they still seem to have a large amount of them.

Now, how high would the upkeep of constructs (golems, scarecrows, etc) be in relation to a "living" unit like, say, a spidew or goyle? Usually the stronger a unit is, the higher its upkeep cost is, but maybe since these aren't popped by cities but instead created by casters their upkeep is low by comparison? That would make Dirtamancers and Dollamancers even more valuable.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby BRC » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 pm

I think Dollamancers, Dirtamancers, and Croakamancers all fulfill the same purpose, albiet in different ways. Dollamancers craft Dolls, Dirtamancers make Golems, and Croakamancers uncroak dead units.
Now, both Croakamancy and Dollamancy are fate-aligned, while Dirtamancy is Matter-aligned. From what I can tell, most Fate-aligned magic tends to involve people, while Numbers-aligned magic involves stats and Erf-aligned things involve objects or locations.

I actually don't know where I'm going with this, so yeah.
BRC

Postby DevilDan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:32 pm

We do know that Dirtamancers have some other useful functions, such as digging tunnels, creating underground traps, and mining.
DevilDan

Postby vdragan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:37 pm

So what are things that Dollamancers could affect? Mechanized defenses? Bonus to siege?
"You mustn't think me vain if you catch me glancing at my reflection in the mirror. I do it solely to remind myself what I look like - and that I should never stop trying to compensate for it"
vdragan

Postby DevilDan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:38 am

vdragan wrote:So what are things that Dollamancers could affect? Mechanized defenses? Bonus to siege?

I'm sure Parson could come up with a few things if he had one.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 am

we currently know nothing. clearly it's able to create servants and sentinals. and we have evidence of cloth golems which on the surface emplied dollamancy but could also be carnymancy due to the prevalance of stuffed toys as carvival prizes.

this is one thing that will be expanded on for sure as it seems to be worthy of mentioning several times that TV has a dollamancer. whatver happens parson will be leading a battle against dolls at some point.
moose o death

Return to Everything Else Erfworld