- Charlie is referred to as an IT (3)
- Archons can be popped by other sides (1)
- Charlescomm is not a Royal side (0)
- Archons can possess Thinkamancy Specials (1)
- Charlie is never physically seen (1)
- Speaking directly to an element in a link can damage or break the link (4)
- Charlie is spending a lot of money managing a side without at least a courtier or Warlord Administrator (1+2)
(0) Assumption: Charlie isn't a Royalist
(1) The Text Update where the Archons talk to Parson (http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2009-archive/?px=%2FE046_NoIllustration.png)
(2) Parson's administrator update (http://www.erfworld.com/summer-update-2009-archive/?px=%2FE035_NoIllustration.png)
(3) Maggie's G-string Text update (http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/?px=%2F2011-01-07.png)
(4) Wanda's discussion about the Misty-Maggie-Jack link in Book 1 (http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F047.jpg)
I would posit that Charlie is in fact a trimancer link of 3 Archons from another side; three Archons that themselves had all the specials listed in (1), and likely all were Thinkamancers.
Now, I'm unsure of the exact mechanic. I don't have any evidence as to if:
- Their contact with the dish spontaneously caused the link of 3 Archons
- The dish broke the natural Thinkamancy of the ruler or if a Stanley-ish scenario happened.
- They encountered it in the field
- The dish was in a vault and they stole it
Based on my hypothesis, I would say that
- The reason Charlie is never seen is to avoid breaking the link
- The name and identity "Charlie" was thought up as a shield to the elements or is a natural consequence of long-term linking
- The 3-Archon squads are just how Charlie thinks, so that is how it structures its units
- This secret is why Charlie only has units that either cannot turn (Golems) or that serve it without question via the 'Dish (Archons).
- The spell-that-shall-not-be-named would be a tetramancer link, and thus very dangerous.