Arkentool

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Arkentool

Postby Mikalyaran » Sun May 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Right. Its probably about time I read through the comic again. I'll just wait a few more turn...erm...weeks until the first book is finished. :P
Mikalyaran
Tool + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lothmar » Fri May 15, 2009 1:19 pm

All the arkentools sofar, save for the dish are useable as weapons. In fact, as ansome noted even if unattuned they function as a better then average weapon. Also, we know that the arkentools are great for warlord types rather then a conventional weapon for the sheer fact of stackablility.

Example, http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F072.jpg
I dont know which multiplier is factored in first. But ansom is leadership 10 multiplier.

He then takes the new total and multiplies it by the 'artifact bonus'. If I understand the combat system right anyway.

I believe all arkentools can turn most uncroaked to dust, not just the pliers but thats wild speculation. However, we do not know if they can turn 'decrypted' units to dust yet.

So for the enemy jetstone was fighting, with most of it's forces made up of uncroaked and for artifact bonus multipliers, the arkenpliers were the natural choice with which to lead the coalition into battle with.
Lothmar

Postby Ichthus » Sat May 16, 2009 5:28 am

Still waiting for the Arkensaw.
Ichthus

Postby Morthe » Sat May 16, 2009 7:42 am

I propose this tool for Changemancy...

Morthe
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BarGamer » Sat May 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Morthe wrote:I propose this tool for Changemancy...

The mental images! Quick, someone hand me a sharp spoon! AIIEEEEEE! The hair curlers... The hair curlers...
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Infidel » Sat May 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Truly, after the introduction of the arkendish I think the concept of "tool" is wandering away from hardware. Just about everyone's suggestions are for a traditional tool, like a shovel, a saw, a screwdriver. So I really expect/hope that the next arkentool will be something that could still be considered a tool without being something kept in the same box as the hammer and pliers. A pencil/paintbrush, a stethoscope, a notebook, a watch, an abacus, a slide rule, a magnifying glass, calipers, a spatula etc.. The rolling pin is a good idea that breaks out of the Acme tools box everyone is painting themselves into.
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Bobby Archer » Sat May 16, 2009 3:52 pm

On the other hand, just as Stanley Tools makes hand tools (like hammers),
Wanda Snap-on (Zhejiang) Co., Ltd specializes in pliers,
and Charlie Ergen founded Dish Network,
Rockwell Tools (as in Sizemore Rockwell) makes power tools, particularly drills and saws.

Of course, there are only 4 known Arkentools. There could be a mysterious Arkenspatula hidden away...
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby raphfrk » Sat May 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Bobby Archer wrote:Of course, there are only 4 known Arkentools. There could be a mysterious Arkenspatula hidden away...

Also, it is unclear how tools are actually found. Stanley is said to have found one. Do they pop (maybe, according to fate?) and the first unit to enter the hex gets it. Alternatively, there may be a small chance of them dropping if you kill a certain mob (say Dragons for the hammer).

Alternatively, they may all exist, but are hidden and there is some kind of search action that can be used to find them. If the world is large enough, this may be the answer. However, if it is actually small, then it is likely that every hex would have been checked ages ago.

Also, they may be able to make themselves invisible. They appear as 3d objects in a 2d world, maybe that represents that they are 4d objects in a 3d world, and can thus move away from reality (in the 4th dimension) to remain hidden.

Stanley may not have really found the hammer at all. He could have entered the hex and the hammer thought he look like a nice guy (hence the reference to its poor ability to choose friends), so it entered/moved towards the world.

Btw, is there any significance to the word "Arken"?
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby The Old Hack » Sat May 16, 2009 5:41 pm

raphfrk wrote:Btw, is there any significance to the word "Arken"?

Probably mainly from the fact that the creators of the world, the Titans, are referred to as the Titans of Ark. Of course, there may be further significance buried in it but that is what I have been able to spot. *scratches head*
The Old Hack

Postby Infidel » Sat May 16, 2009 5:57 pm

raphfrk wrote:Alternatively, they may all exist, but are hidden and there is some kind of search action that can be used to find them. If the world is large enough, this may be the answer.

Next week on ArkenTools Z. Where's an arken radar when you need it?
Who is that beautiful red-headed devil,
Stabs you in the heart so that she can level?
It's Scarlet!
- BC
Infidel
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby raphfrk » Sat May 16, 2009 6:54 pm

The Old Hack wrote:
raphfrk wrote:Btw, is there any significance to the word "Arken"?

Probably mainly from the fact that the creators of the world, the Titans, are referred to as the Titans of Ark. Of course, there may be further significance buried in it but that is what I have been able to spot. *scratches head*

I did a quick google, and the first few hits are:

"arken provides highly innovative and cost-effective display and merchandising solutions, tailor made to your exact requirements."

ARKEN Museum of Modern Art

"The block called Arken has changed from a worn out industrial area, an iron works called Åbo Jernmanufakturbolag, into a top modern centre for the humanities at Åbo Akademi University"

Arken Interiors Systems -> manufactures shop office and home furniture

It looks like it is just a name.

So, maybe Arken is just to link it to the Titans as you suggest.
Last edited by raphfrk on Sat May 16, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Morthe » Sat May 16, 2009 7:06 pm

i'll be in Copenhagen end of july, so maybe i'll go to Arken museum and try to find some original Arkentools. pictures will be taken!
Morthe

Postby The Old Hack » Sat May 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Warning: Horrible joke incoming.

Erfworld Zen: "There is no Arkenspoon."
The Old Hack

Postby Frogpop » Sat May 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Bobby Archer wrote:Btw, is there any significance to the word "Arken"?

I figured our Arkentools are an homage to the Arkenstone, a macguffin from The Hobbit.
Last edited by Frogpop on Sun May 17, 2009 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frogpop
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Postby BarGamer » Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 am

The Old Hack wrote:Erfworld Zen: "There is no Arkenspoon."

Whoa.
I am the Barbarian Gamer. I can roam. I can explore. I am free to make purchases or returns or forum posts of whatever I please. I'm here for the same reasons you are. One, this interests me. And two? I love Erfworld. May the Titans help me.
BarGamer

Postby Bobby Archer » Sun May 17, 2009 1:20 am

Infidel wrote:
raphfrk wrote:Alternatively, they may all exist, but are hidden and there is some kind of search action that can be used to find them. If the world is large enough, this may be the answer.

Next week on ArkenTools Z. Where's an arken radar when you need it?

Or the Arkenmetaldetector.
Uncroaked for Hire

No, no, Misty is Uncle Ben; Bogroll is Gwen Stacy.
Bobby Archer

Location: Mass Hysteria, Chicago, IL, USA, Earth, Reality, Sanity

Postby raphfrk » Sun May 17, 2009 12:27 pm

Frogpop wrote:I figured our Arkentools are an homage to the Arkenstone, a macguffin from The Hobbit.

Now that sounds reasonable :).

Was going to add it to the wiki, but someone already did ... yesterday.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Ancient History » Sun May 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Heh. Y'know what I'd like to see? Arkenknife. As in Swiss army knife/multitool.
Ancient History

Postby Kaskah » Mon May 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I might as well throw my speculation in. I was wondering if the 4th unknown tool may have actually belonged to the predictmancer of faq, but the ball they are using doesn't look CGI to me. That could have been an Arkenstone....but now I don't think so. Oh well, just decided to mention in it in case I turned out to be right. :P

The fourth tool could still be linked to predictamancy though.
Kaskah

Postby Sean Clannery » Mon May 18, 2009 7:09 pm

This is probably pure speculation that will lead to nothing, but does anyone else wonder if the different ends of the Arkenhammer - green and red - do different things? Some of you are far more diligent about pursuing leads like this than I am, but it's an idea that popped into my head while looking at page 4 a minute ago. It'd be cool if it did behave differently.
Sean Clannery
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld