Arkentool

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Arkentool

Postby Trost » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Bobby Archer wrote:On the other hand, just as Stanley Tools makes hand tools (like hammers),
Wanda Snap-on (Zhejiang) Co., Ltd specializes in pliers,
and Charlie Ergen founded Dish Network,
Rockwell Tools (as in Sizemore Rockwell) makes power tools, particularly drills and saws.

Of course, there are only 4 known Arkentools. There could be a mysterious Arkenspatula hidden away...

Perhaps it's the Arkendrill, allowing them to do references to Gurren Lagann?

also, each tool does allow a version of a unit to be made, which can be game-breaking... Perhaps it allows the caster to create a type of golem that doesn't need upkeep?
All I have are my ideas.
Trost

Postby vector121 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:23 am

If signamancy has that much to do with it then the sizemore bit would definitely be possible.

I think it will be a throne/chair that attunes to Parson. hehe

From the wiki of the pedia:

"A parsons chair is a type of curving wooden chair, named for the Parsons School of Design in Paris, where it was created. It is widely copied today."

I also think for some reason that it will take place in Transilvito, with Mr. Gotti taking Don King's place somehow. So a throne in Transilvito. Of course I'm probably just making too many name based connections. LOL
My deviantArt - Blog-ity blog

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
vector121

Postby Selexor » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:18 am

I wholeheartedly agree with the theory that the one whom an Arkentool attunes to have a big effect on the power it displays - with the exception that it sticks to a certain theme. I guess the best way I can explain my thinking is to suggest that the Arkentool in question will allow the wielder to do whatever it is that they most want to do, but they will do it in a way that fits that tool's motif.

Take Charlie. A power-gamer who enjoys finding ways that bending the rules will allow him to become obscenely powerful. He only bothers with one city, but that city is insanely powerful. He only bothers with one unit type - with the exception of summoned units - but that unit type is also insanely powerful. He's a mercenary who does most of his trading on information. So what would he want most? The ability to know what people were thinking, to rule his empire from the one seat of power, and to control an army of his favourite unit type. The Arkendish accomplishes exactly those things through the theme of Thinkamancy.
Wanda is the opposite of Charlie. She loves to get her hands dirty, wants everyone to know she's there, and has a fondness for Naughtymancy. The Arkenpliers, therefore, work best when she's on the front lines of the battle, they make an army of minions that are fanatically loyal to her and her alone, and they let her Uncroak pretty much anything - again, accomplishing exactly what she wants doing it through the theme of Croakamancy.
Even Stanley makes sense. He was popped to fight, it's what he does and what he loves, and regardless of the fact that he's dumber than a week-old ham sandwich, he's extremely good at it. Of course, he's also extremely sensitive about his height, and he wants people to fear his awesome power. So what does the Arkenhammer do? It makes him an unstoppable fighter, allows him to fly as high up as he wants, and allows him to control the biggest, baddest units on the battlefield. It gives him exactly what he wants, in its own unique way.

Now it may be that I'm confusing cause and correlation, but that's three from three - if you asked that character what they wanted most in the world, the answer would pretty much be, "Exactly what my Arkentool has given me." When it applies to all three attuned wielders, that's a large coincidence to just ignore. The Arkentools shaped Erfworld, after all, so it makes sense that someone attuned to an Arkentool would be able to shape the world to whatever they want most... or, at least, shape themselves within that world.

All of which also does raise an interesting, secondary thought.
If my theory holds water, consider that the #1 candidate for our Fourth Attuned Wielder seems to be Sizemore. Or at least, it seems to be him until we get another candidate. Now, if attuning to an Arkentool grants your fondest wish, I'm guessing Sizemore's fondest wish would be substantially different to that of Wanda. And I'm guessing she wouldn't appreciate if he did anything about it.
Sizemore attuning to an Arkentool might not be a good thing for Gobwin Knob at all. It might actually split the side apart.
But of course that's just my opinion.
Selexor

Postby Nihila » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 pm

@Selexor: Maybe an Arkentool only attunes to a person whose desires are fulfilled by the Arkentool's preset abilities.
"The Infantrymen of Erfworld have nothing to lose but their chains. They have Erfworld to win. Infantry of all sides: Unite!"--Kawl Mawx, Master-class Moneymancer
Nihila

Postby Selexor » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:24 pm

Hmm, that's a good add-on to my theory. It also explains Ansom: the Arkenpliers couldn't offer him anything he really wanted while keeping to their "theme" of Naughtymancy. The closest they could come was being exceptionally good at destroying the magic that binds the Uncroaked together. So he never attuned properly.

I guess that comes down to the big question of how, exactly, the Arkentools choose who they will attune to.
But of course that's just my opinion.
Selexor

Postby the_tick_rules » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:44 am

Indeed. The pliers and dish sure seem to have ties to a specific magical area so odds are they were "waiting" for the right caster in their field to find them. the hammer is a bit of a question mark as to a possible magic prefrence. I guess it's whatever's erf's equivalent of destiny is, titan's will I guess.
I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
the_tick_rules

Postby IronDino » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:50 pm

If I may add my two-cents. To Recap;

Each Arkentool is related to a 'rare' unit.
The Arkenhammer with Dwagons
The Arkenpliers with Uncroaked (Decrypted)
and The Arkendish with Archons

In addition each Arkentool is best wielder by a non-royal unit. Stanley was a Warlord when he found and attuned to the Arkenhammer. Wanda was a Croakamancer Caster. Charlie is presumed to be a Thinkamancer Caster. Now as Casters are seen as the antithesis to Warlords my assumption is that the fourth Arkentool would likewise best attune to another non-royal Warlord (hinting at Parson).
If we assume Parson and that the fourth Arkentool is related to a unit he has synched with, I see three possiblities; Twolls - Parson's friendship with Bogroll early on as well as his attempts to relate with Zhopa indicate a possible connection. There's also the fact that Twolls specialize in Fabrication. (Propsed tools that can relate with Twolls - Arkenwrench, Arkenallenkey, and Arkenlathe, three very multifunctional tools. Arkenwrench and Arkenallenkey follow the Even Simpler (funny shaped sticks), while the Arkenlathe falls with the Missing Step Theory).
Secondly, we have Casters. In strictest sense, they are a unit and are extremely rare when it comes to popping. Parson has exibited Caster abilities himself, and has formed bonds with many Caster across different fields; Sizemore the Dirtamancer, Wanda the Croakamncer, Misty the Lookamancer, Jack the Foolamancer, Maggie the Foolamancer, and has made an impression on Charlie the (purputed) Thinkamancer as well as Caster's in the magic kingdom especially Janis the Hippiemancer. (Proposed tools in relation, Arkenwelder (I dunno), Arkendice, Arkenwiki - Save the welder, all deal with higher levels of capability as well as understanding that Erfworld is essentially a game. Arkendice follow the Even Simpler train of thought (a block), Arkenwelder follows the Missing Link Train of thought, and the Arkenwiki indicates that they have superceaded everything (if it exsist's it has been wikied somewhere).
Thirdly, we have the yet unintroduced Daemons. Little support, but looking back at the arrival of a volcanic region as well as the descruction (sacrifice maybe) of the Sword of Ruthelessness into the lava could segeway into Daemonic territory. (There's also the fact that there is no real counterpart to the Archeons yet). Plus, if we go with the classic portrayal of Demons in the Real World, wouldn't they want nothing more than to 'break' everything. (Proposed tools in relation, the Arkenshovel, Arkenfork, Arkensaw. This takes a little more leeway, Arkenshovel obviously because 'Daemons are underground' you've heard the drill. Arkenfork. This theory is three-fold. The tool is a pitchfork, an actual tool used to bale or pitch hay, is also associated with Demons, and is a possible counterpart to Charlie's plate. Finally there is the Arkensaw, this tool banks mostly off of the pun, but also serves as an analogy to Charlie's Plate. The Arkenshovel (unless a largw powershovel, would conflict with the Arkenhammer in terms of complexity. The Arkenfork follws the Even Simpiler, beig a pointed stick. The Arkensaw could either be a reforged serrated blade (using the Sword of Ruthelessness) sticking to the even simpiler, or a jigsaw (as an electric carving knife) supporting the Missing Link.

Personally, I'm a believer that the Fourth Arkentool is going to be the Arkensaw, weilded by a Warlord.
Going with the Missing Step theory stating that the fourth Arkentool requiring a degree of complexity involving springs, gears, clockwork, steam, or even an engine, it would appear that the Arkensaw doesn't fit this mould. However, this in normally because most assume a handsaw design. Their are mechanical saws, three of which come to mind, circularsaws, jigsaws, and most importantly, chainsaws.
IronDino

Postby IronDino » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Profound apologies for the double post, it stopped letting me type. I had to delete part of my closing statement.

Personally, I'm a believer that the Fourth Arkentool is going to be the Arkensaw, weilded by a Warlord.
Going with the Missing Step theory stating that the fourth Arkentool requiring a degree of complexity involving springs, gears, clockwork, steam, or even an engine, it would appear that the Arkensaw doesn't fit this mould. However, this in normally because most assume a handsaw design. Their are mechanical saws, three of which come to mind, circularsaws, jigsaws, and most importantly, chainsaws.

From my arguments previous, an Arkensaws Relative Complexity can fall either alongside with Even Simpiler (single serrated blade), or Missing Link (Chainsaw or Jigsaw).

I did not touch upon other Warlords who might weild an Arkensaw (i don't see a Decrypted weilding an Arkentool) but it's not beyond the realm of speculation. A likely candidate in my book would be Lady Sylvia Lazarus, as she's strongly associated with flames and seems quite passionate about warfare and toolism. She could also seeingly feel the strength of a tool when she touched the Arkenplies indicating a possibility of attunement to a more 'destructive' unit type.

---

Finally I see the speculation of a Fourth Arkentool following two thought patterns, who will the wielder be and what tool matches them, and what the tool will be and who would wield it best.
IronDino

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld