Language speculation

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Language speculation

Postby Didgin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:30 am

Hi there, I'm kinda now here, so this might be something disscused before (although when I searched for it here I've found nothing).
What is the spoken language is Erfworld? It's English in the comic, but this might be just for our convinience. I believe it is English, only Erfworlders probably call it "Engwish".
You're not your character class.
You're not how much GP you have in the bank.
You're not the airship you fly.
You're not the contents of your item list.
You're not you fuggin' armor.
You are the all-fighting, all-spellcasting heroes of the world.
Didgin

Re: Language speculation

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:01 am

given erfworld pops the meals the unit likes eating i'd guess they could all be sepaking whatever the heck they wanted. you'll just hear thing the way they were meant to sound.

so to further elaborate.

they all hear correctly, except when the speaker is incohherent. ie stanley getting names wrong.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby carisbourg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 am

Based on the capitalization here in panel six I'd say that they're speaking Language. I can't tell whether Stanley wants someone who already speaks Language or whether the spell Wanda is casting supposed to teach him Language though.
carisbourg

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:24 am

carisbourg wrote:Based on the capitalization here in panel six I'd say that they're speaking Language. I can't tell whether Stanley wants someone who already speaks Language or whether the spell Wanda is casting supposed to teach him Language though.

The Perfect Warlord Summoning spell just found another world where they speak something close to their own language, in the same way that it presumably found a world with a similar atmosphere, carbon-based dextrorotary chemistry, gravity, etc. (And a similar source of light and heat?)
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Didgin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:19 pm

carisbourg wrote:Based on the capitalization here in panel six I'd say that they're speaking Language. I can't tell whether Stanley wants someone who already speaks Language or whether the spell Wanda is casting supposed to teach him Language though.

You're right. Forgot all about that line.
You're not your character class.
You're not how much GP you have in the bank.
You're not the airship you fly.
You're not the contents of your item list.
You're not you fuggin' armor.
You are the all-fighting, all-spellcasting heroes of the world.
Didgin

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:33 pm

i didn't, i just figure language meant what it does and wasn't the name of their language.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Return to Everything Else Erfworld