What do you suppose a Buttress looks like?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

What do you suppose a Buttress looks like?

Postby Abnaxis » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:51 am

The title says most of it.

When I read the text updates, I find myself wondering what shape the units take, based on their pun-filled names. I have a rough sketch in my head for what a sawhorse looks like, based on what they are IRL--basically, a headless thin wooden construct with four legs. But in real life, a flying buttress isn't anything even remotely resembling a mount you can ride, though the name itself sounds funny. I wonder what one looks like...?
Abnaxis

Re: What do you suppose a Buttress looks like?

Postby Mrtyuh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:07 pm

A buttress is also a type of root found on trees that live in areas of shallow soul, such as rainforests. They can spread out over a very wide area. So, since we have nothing upon which to base their appearance, I'll make the wild, unsubstaniated guess that Flying Buttresses are tiny Gumps that have really long roots. In flight, those roots move like the tentrils of a jellyfish in motion, pushing it up. Of course, I'm inventing wildly here.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Kaed » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm

What if they are like flying butt rests.

:geek:
UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
Kaed
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BLANDCorporatio » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Kaed wrote:What if they are like flying butt rests.

:geek:

*ba-dum-tish*

Or they may well look like this. Well, it's what Google image search suggested anyway.

(Yes it's SFW.)
The whole point of this is lost if you keep it a secret.
BLANDCorporatio
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

BLANDCorporatio wrote:*ba-dum-tish*

*ba-dum-tush*, I think.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Azukar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 am

Mrtyuh wrote:A buttress is also a type of root found on trees that live in areas of shallow soul, such as rainforests. <snip> Of course, I'm inventing wildly here.

I like the invention of rainforests with "shallow soul" ;) Yes, I know what you meant.

As for the Flying Buttresses, why not a stone column, kind of like Ansom's flying carpet only solid? I can imagine troops riding them like extremely thick witches' brooms.
---

-Az
Azukar

Postby Mrtyuh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 am

Azukar wrote:I like the invention of rainforests with "shallow soul" ;) Yes, I know what you meant.

As for the Flying Buttresses, why not a stone column, kind of like Ansom's flying carpet only solid? I can imagine troops riding them like extremely thick witches' brooms.

Unfortunately, I've had way too much experience dealing with shallow souls, but never in a rainforest. ;)

Anyway, Ansom's carpet is a magic item, so it can't be croaked. In Episode 20, it specifically refered to the Buttresses as units and to them being croaked. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't look like Ansom's carpet, but they don't function the same way.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh

Return to Everything Else Erfworld