parson's "earth stats"

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

parson's "earth stats"

Postby moose o death » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:03 pm

someone mentioned something that resonated very clearly with me. parson doesn't have move because "earth" has no hexes.

no hexes to cross so he has 0 move. when in erfworld his earth stats got converted directly. so 0 move.

so i figured it might be fun to work out the rest of his stats and how the relate. eg what gave him a 2 for leadership bonus?

my personal thoughts

combat-low
move 0
leadership 2 (DM and something else, maybe he was a manager or something at kinko's)
what stats even exist is up in the air.

i have my doubts he earns experience either, he'd be the only unit that can improve his stats by hard work.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Re: parson's "earth stats"

Postby taltamir » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:18 pm

level 2... how is he level 2? i think it happened when he killed that mount of that guy who broke into GK after tearing down the city
taltamir

Postby moose o death » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:04 pm

he's had a 2 leadership bonus since being plotted. it upset stanley at the time
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby zz_tophat » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:31 am

Following this line of logic it's safe to assume that his combat abilities have improved since coming to Erfworld. It was mentioned in the recent update that stairs had became easier for parson, to me "easier stairs" means more stamina (let's hear it for exercise!) and greater stamina directly equals greater combat prowess.

Could losing the spare tire be the same as +1 or maybe even a +2 to his fighting ability?
zz_tophat

Postby taltamir » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:24 pm

moose o death wrote:he's had a 2 leadership bonus since being plotted. it upset stanley at the time

i know that... i said LEVEL 2, not 2 leadership
taltamir

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 am

taltamir wrote:
moose o death wrote:he's had a 2 leadership bonus since being plotted. it upset stanley at the time

it's mentioned in one of the klogs, I guess Nr. 7

I think Parson's figthing abilities are realitive low, but only for a person of his size. He is nearly twice the size of a normal erfworld man, so he has probably a impressive strngth modificator. And a really low agility stat. He is effectively an ogre to erworldians.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Welf von Ehrwald wrote:
taltamir wrote:

it's mentioned in one of the klogs, I guess Nr. 7

I think Parson's figthing abilities are realitive low, but only for a person of his size. He is nearly twice the size of a normal erfworld man, so he has probably a impressive strngth modificator. And a really low agility stat. He is effectively an ogre to erworldians.

coupled with what maggie implies in 31 he might be very effective in combat. as a garrisoned unit, could he be put in with the training troops to gain combat experience?
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:09 pm

moose o death wrote:coupled with what maggie implies in 31 he might be very effective in combat. as a garrisoned unit, could he be put in with the training troops to gain combat experience?

We still don't know what constitutes gaining experience: probably killing is the best way...
(We do know that units retreating from an engagement garner no experience...)
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:30 am

DevilDan wrote:
moose o death wrote:coupled with what maggie implies in 31 he might be very effective in combat. as a garrisoned unit, could he be put in with the training troops to gain combat experience?

We still don't know what constitutes gaining experience: probably killing is the best way...
(We do know that units retreating from an engagement garner no experience...)

while i do agree it's unknown

quote:
The cool breeze carried in the occasional distant sound of marching bootsteps or the clang of swords and pikes in drill exercises.

is an excerpt from update 25, while i agree we don't know what constitutes experience gain.perorming drills would be considered training and practise. doing so in a reality sense would improve a troops prowess in combat and would effectively be the equivalent of gaining exp in an rpg/tbs hybrid erfworld appears to be.

now in reference to parsons direct earth stats being converted to erf stats. that "should" count as exp gained for parson even if it didn't for an erfworlder. but really why run drills if your born as a fully functional killer with ingrained knowledge of how to use a sword badly. it's either to upgrade you to using a sword properly or to stave off boredom.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Practice could well affect the performance of units or their ability to operate in coordinated manners. It might be that they're drilling on specific techniques, almost like upgrades.

Or it could be custom: what do soldiers do when they're not in battle or acting as guards? They drill.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby President_Allosaurus » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:33 pm

I imagine that even though they know how to fight, they can still learn tactics and strategy, so they do drilling for basic stuff. Or maybe they need to maintain their practice to keep their hits up?
President_Allosaurus

Postby fleazilla » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:20 am

You people are forgetting that this is based on a game world. I know that sounds ridiculous especially since you are trying to work out game stats--but Parson is the only PC as far as I can tell. And NPCs are plot devices, merchant/monsters, or eye candy. The troops are not gaining experience or learning new techniques: they are ambiance. The clang clang was necessary at that moment to keep the PC immersed in the game.
fleazilla

Postby DevilDan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:35 pm

fleazilla wrote:You people are forgetting that this is based on a game world. I know that sounds ridiculous especially since you are trying to work out game stats--but Parson is the only PC as far as I can tell. And NPCs are plot devices, merchant/monsters, or eye candy. The troops are not gaining experience or learning new techniques: they are ambiance. The clang clang was necessary at that moment to keep the PC immersed in the game.

It's a game-like world. As our games become more sophisticated, so necessarily will the AI characters grow and develop. Wanda, Stanley, Vinny, Jill, Sizemore, Maggie, Charlie... they cannot be treated as NPCs. For one, they change and learn. Wanda may feel that she's tied to fate, but that makes her more rather than less predictable.

As I wrote above, maybe they just drill because it's their custom or instinct to do so. That would correspond to your idea: "It's just the way things are" even if it doesn't make them stronger.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:42 am

yes , lets not raise the erfworld is not a game thing again. erfworld is a game like world with a unique set of physics.

parson is not naturally from that universe and his body clearly underwent some level of physical reconfiguration when he was plotted into it. there was alot of pain involved it would seem and he is now bound by a particularly unnatural set of physical laws. 32 confirmed parson is too heavy to travel by dwagon...at least as a rider.

so do we think he's a heavy unit now or simply a unit that is heavy ? without seeing his combat prowess, he strikes me as too soft a target to be a heavy unit. eg he scratched his ankle when playing around with a pickaxe before the battle for GK. i'm basing my experience of crpg's when i say i'd expect him to hit himself very hard with a pick axe to produce blood if he were a heavy unit. and the way vinny describes each bat in ceasers direct stack being as tough as heavies and that would leave the two forces roughly on par with dwagons and an artifact endowed overlord.

parson seems to not be tough enough to be a heavy unit. but then again he's popped as a warlord not a combat unit. but on the same token the last chief warlord was in battle and collected an arrow through the skull. and the current one is off to warchalking again. so chiefwarlords are clearly meant for field battles.

as for practise, i've never seen a game where practising levelled you up, trainers have levelled me, but none have ever let me beat a tree to death to practise the swing. and i would agree that would be the case here. just like many of GK's houses are simply "being the city" the garrisoned troops are simply "being garrisoned troops"

but i don't see the harm in parson joining in to learn some moves...
moose o death

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:00 am

moose o death wrote:as for practise, i've never seen a game where practising levelled you up, trainers have levelled me, but none have ever let me beat a tree to death to practise the swing. and i would agree that would be the case here. just like many of GK's houses are simply "being the city" the garrisoned troops are simply "being garrisoned troops"

I did, a few actually. My (non-DnD) gaming group has the house rule of giving the GM half of the XP of the adventure, so he can give it to one of his characters. In that game it is possible to find books or teachers, that make it cheaper to increase a skill score. I played some online browser games, where one could spend money on a trainer and get some XPs after a hour of practice. In Civilisation IV you can build a barrack, that gives new troops a experience boost.

Important note from word of the titans:

Titans wrote:Higher levels cost more, on a kind of exponential scale that may vary by a large number of factors including the type of unit leveling, the type and number and levels of units croaked, and other activities involving the leveling unit's special abilities that may not even constitute combat.

it is possible to level without combat - Sizemore the prime example - and I guess training is one of these activities.
Last edited by Welf von Ehrwald on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby zz_tophat » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:37 am

moose o death wrote:...

as for practise, i've never seen a game where practising levelled you up, trainers have levelled me, but none have ever let me beat a tree to death to practise the swing. and i would agree that would be the case here. just like many of GK's houses are simply "being the city" the garrisoned troops are simply "being garrisoned troops"

but i don't see the harm in parson joining in to learn some moves...

Off the top of my head: the dungeon master games (RTS) allowed units to train out side of battle using either a training room or the combat pit, while pax imperia (TBS) allowed ships stationed around planets to train when the proper facilities were available. There are other examples of purely strategy games allowing for the training of units outside of combat but I can't name them off of the top of my head (a R6PG example would be morrowind, wherein swinging a sword around does literally make you better at that).

As for what can give units experience there are no hard and fast rules, it varies from game to game.

I like to look at parson as someone from another game, so different rules apply. He may as well be from the Sims, as far as applicable Erfworld stats apply.
zz_tophat

Postby moose o death » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:43 am

i don't recall morrowind awarding misses with experience. let alone swinging at nothing. your not thinking of a mod are you?
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:56 am

I've played one or two were misses garnered XP, but only the tiniest amounts. Still, why not in Erf? It's far more sophisticated in nearly every aspect than any actual game of Earth.
DevilDan

Postby zz_tophat » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:58 am

moose o death wrote:i don't recall morrowind awarding misses with experience. let alone swinging at nothing. your not thinking of a mod are you?

sword swinging may have been a bad example, a better one would be casting spells at nothing and getting better at it just by doing so, or running round and jumping. Parson has already gotten better at "stairs" presumably by climbing a lot of stairs, so perhaps giving him a morrorwind model is not unreasonable. I think his lack of stats is due to his stats simply being different and completely incompatible.

what's his hp? 0, non-existent
what's his equivalent? I dunno 10 pints of blood?

Is he a heavy unit? Nope, cloth golems are heavy units, Parson is just heavy.

One thing that does confound me is that I figure his stats can't be seen because there are no stats to be seen. Like how when looking at bogrol he saw regeneration (fabrication is it now?) and on a units with no special abilities you would see nothing in that space. Parson has no stats, so it's not that his stats can't be seen, it's that there is nothing to see. This line of logic is almost without flaw excepting one thing, if he has no stats how the hell is he a hippiemancer, and how did the abby know? ...unless she was lying.
zz_tophat

Postby DevilDan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Honestly, I don't think that his physical stats have necessarily improved. His lifestyle, on the other hand, is far less sedentary. He's just eating (slightly) better and doing a lot more exercising. Maybe if he loses enough weight the game will no longer consider him "heavy"; or maybe he'll always be heavy by game rules because he was popped as a heavy and there's no mechanism to change that.
Last edited by DevilDan on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
DevilDan

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld