Playing to win - speculation regarding charlie

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Playing to win - speculation regarding charlie

Postby yay » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:26 pm

pSycHOtic chICkeN wrote:The September 21 summer supplement. Dwagons pop randomly in wild hexes. Cities can pop dwagons but it is slow. The arken hammer doesn't allow the popping of dwagons. It allows the taming of dwagons. That might explain why prince ansom chose not to include any dwagons in his army.

only certain cities can pop certain units. and while Gobwin Knob may have been able to pop dwagons before the hammer, it seems much more likely that the hammer is the reason why dwagons can pop there

this thread is off topic, so charlie...
may not be human, from earth or erf. as in a non-humanoid unit. unique like bogroll maybe. could explain his relativly non-combative philosophy, which focus's more on survival than territory gain. so he may not want to win, just live. no basis for this, just thinking outside of the box
yay

Postby DevilDan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:41 pm

yay wrote:only certain cities can pop certain units. and while Gobwin Knob may have been able to pop dwagons before the hammer, it seems much more likely that the hammer is the reason why dwagons can pop there

this thread is off topic, so charlie...
may not be human, from earth or erf. as in a non-humanoid unit. unique like bogroll maybe. could explain his relativly non-combative philosophy, which focus's more on survival than territory gain. so he may not want to win, just live. no basis for this, just thinking outside of the box

As a mountain (volcanic, anyway) hex, it doesn't seem entirely surprising that they might be able to pop dwagons regardless.

Was Bogroll unique? His drives seemed similar to those that other Erf "hench-units" would have.

If Erf can have pacifists, Yay, then it can certainly have pragmatists.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby raphfrk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:20 pm

DevilDan wrote:See, I'm trying to remember where exactly it says that the hammer allows the popping of dwagons... and I can't.

Well, GK can pop dwagons and they are tame when popped (as the one which popped at the end of the book 1 didn't attack).

And, surely, popping a unit automatically makes it your own.

Probably. The question is why Stanley has so many dwagons, if they are a standard unit, why don't other sides pop them?

DevilDan wrote:As a mountain (volcanic, anyway) hex, it doesn't seem entirely surprising that they might be able to pop dwagons regardless.

Also, it could mean that the Hammer is likely to pop near its signature unit. That would explain why the ability to pop dwagons and the ability to tame them ended up on the same side.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:30 am

Well, it would be foolish for anyone to take dwagons up against Stanley, which is possibly why we haven't seen used against GK. While I'm not suggesting that any city or side can pop any unit, there's a great variety of units on Erf and there's a vast number of potential strategies, even for air-focused sides like Faq (gwiffons and megalogwiffs), Charlescomm (Archons), and Transylvito (bats, goyles, warlords, etc.).
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Retconjurer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:28 pm

I've got a more aged question. Why did Charlie know that Parson was going to come through the Battle of Gobwin Knob come out okay? He seemed awful certain of it.
Retconjurer

Postby Sareln » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:56 am

Retconjurer wrote:I've got a more aged question. Why did Charlie know that Parson was going to come through the Battle of Gobwin Knob come out okay? He seemed awful certain of it.

IIRC, Charlie made that statement before he offered Parson the net to hop into. So my basic understanding is that Charlie figured that Parson had nothing to worry about, because his Archons would arrive shortly to spirit him away from the RCC. That and combined with him contractually obliging the RCC to *capture* Parson, ostensibly to turn him over to Charlie, I could see Charlie being perfectly confident that Parson would be safely under his care in short order.
Last edited by Sareln on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sareln

Postby Mathamancer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:36 am

Interesting..does that mean that Charlie might have a means of allowing Parson to leave Gobwin Knob's hex?

So far, the only manner in which Parson has been able to leave the hex is via entering The Magic Kingdom, and it probably wouldn't be healthy for him to try and return there.
Mathamancer

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:15 am

Mathamancer wrote:Interesting..does that mean that Charlie might have a means of allowing Parson to leave Gobwin Knob's hex?

So far, the only manner in which Parson has been able to leave the hex is via entering The Magic Kingdom, and it probably wouldn't be healthy for him to try and return there.

When he offered to fly Parson out of there, the assumption was that Parson would turn and transfer his allegiance to Charlescomm.
DevilDan

Postby Decorus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Parson is a Garrison Unit he can only be in a City.
All Charles has to do is port Parson to a Charles controlled City.
Decorus

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Decorus wrote:Parson is a Garrison Unit he can only be in a City.
All Charles has to do is port Parson to a Charles controlled City.

The assumption, based on what Stanley himself said, is that he can be "promoted" from being a garrison unit. A captured unit, or one who turns, presumably reverts to the default, much like a newly popped unit probably can move out of the city immediately.

In any event, "garrison" is not a permanent thing.
DevilDan

Postby Mathamancer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:07 pm

The catch is, it seems that Parson can't fly/be flown due to his status as a Heavy Unit.

That said, Charlie's Archons may just have a workaround for that.

I'm not sure where the ideas of Charlie's Archons Teleporting comes from. I'm more inclined to believe that they have a decently high move until shown otherwise.
Mathamancer

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Mathamancer wrote:The catch is, it seems that Parson can't fly/be flown due to his status as a Heavy Unit.

That said, Charlie's Archons may just have a workaround for that.

He did have plenty of archons: if three couldn't do the job then perhaps twelve could.
DevilDan

Postby Decorus » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Did I mention Archons?
Charles takes GK, makes a Portal between GK and his Fortress and Voila Parsons is there.
Yes Teleporting is a possibility so far all we know is Parsons can go from one city to another using a portal.
Parson's special may prevent him from ever being anything other then purely Garrison.
Admitedly Parson as a High Warlord does not ever need to leave a city.
Decorus

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Decorus wrote:Did I mention Archons?
Charles takes GK, makes a Portal between GK and his Fortress and Voila Parsons is there.
Yes Teleporting is a possibility so far all we know is Parsons can go from one city to another using a portal.
Parson's special may prevent him from ever being anything other then purely Garrison.
Admitedly Parson as a High Warlord does not ever need to leave a city.

I don't think Charlie could have possibly known that Parson could use the portal.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:04 pm

Mathamancer wrote:I'm not sure where the ideas of Charlie's Archons Teleporting comes from. I'm more inclined to believe that they have a decently high move until shown otherwise.

they have less than 56 move.

parson can only scout a slightly lower range than stanley can reach using archons if he expects them to make it back to the capital.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby valce » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:03 pm

moose o death wrote:
Mathamancer wrote:I'm not sure where the ideas of Charlie's Archons Teleporting comes from. I'm more inclined to believe that they have a decently high move until shown otherwise.

they have less than 56 move.

parson can only scout a slightly lower range than stanley can reach using archons if he expects them to make it back to the capital.

Good catch!
valce

Postby Tyris » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 pm

"Garrison" is most likely a status condition needed to trigger specific abilities. The side effect of it would be reducing the unit's move to '0' so long as it remains a garrison unit.

In the case of 'standard' units, there's probably some morale bonus, damage bonus, or defense bonus (or combination thereof) that apply to units who are in "garrison" state in one of their own cities.

Alternatively, or additionally, "garrison" might also be a tag checked for bonuses from other sources. For instance, the city wall could be an upgradeable entity that grants a defensive bonus to units in the "garrison" status.

In Parson's case, he can grant various bonuses to things when he is in "garrison" mode. Likely he is unable (or simply doesn't yet know that he IS able, which amounts to the same thing in Erfworld) to freely toggle between the status and having a move rating of his own free will. Assuming he can do so by choice, it's quite likely something Stanely or Wanda has said pretty much takes that choice away from him until it is returned, by some sort of order or Duty or Loyalty effect. I'm willing to be that Parson DOES have a move score when not in Garrison mode, or potentially unlimited move based only on his body's muscles (which, of course, in his condition might get him a hex or two at most until he tones up a bit more).
Tyris

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld