Let's Talk About Dance Fighting

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Let's Talk About Dance Fighting

Postby carisbourg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:12 am

On a a thread about another topic a question was made "How can dance fighting help?"

One thought I had was the whole rhythym of the battle thing. In combat, if you can force yor opponent to fight according to your pattern, you win. Maybe dance fighting gets a rhythym going thatdisrupts your opponnents actions, giving you bonuses to hit and them minuses to dodge. In hand-to-hand combat it's best to keep moving so that you can react to your opponent without having to de-tense your muscles from a stance.

maybe if you do a critical success and they do a critical failure on the dance fighting, they even start dancing with you, guaranteeing your attacks success.
carisbourg

Re: Let's Talk About Dance Fighting

Postby MarchHatter » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:20 pm

I think Dance fighting works as more of a shock and awe tactic, or more or less decreases morale.

A sort real world example of this could be seen in the movie ZULU, which has the Zulu warriors warchanting as they attack ´the welsh soldiers, which then eventually has the welsh soldiers singing a welsh folk song.

Also I believe they don't have to be specifically dancing persay, it probably is that it needs some song or music work worked into it. For example with the KISS soldiers, they were dance fighters, but did not dance really persay, they had well music, which they used to fight the transylvanians while they were Grease dance fighting up. There is a great panel of a Knight in Stanley's Service knife fighting a vampire.
Today's signature was brought to you by: Erfworld, SteveMB and the Letter Q
MarchHatter

Postby DevilDan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:49 pm

It doesn't have to make sense by Earth logic. It just gives bonuses...

That said, I've suggested that dance fighting increases the speed and agility of troops, means that their movements are more highly coordinated.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:00 am

i've said it before and i'll say it again, this makes less sense than the sun debate did.

rcc troops were dropping like flies in that dance fight so dance fighting has potential to be fatal/crippling speed stats wouldn't cause disabled units
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:31 am

Sense or not, it's one of the funniest oddball ideas in the comic.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby taltamir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:42 pm

DevilDan wrote:It doesn't have to make sense by Earth logic. It just gives bonuses...

That said, I've suggested that dance fighting increases the speed and agility of troops, means that their movements are more highly coordinated.

+1

dance fighting obviously just gives you bonuses... in real life dancing during combat will give you swift death and the lamentation of your women.
taltamir

Postby DevilDan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47 pm

taltamir wrote:
DevilDan wrote:It doesn't have to make sense by Earth logic. It just gives bonuses...

+1

dance fighting obviously just gives you bonuses... in real life dancing during combat will give you swift death and the lamentation of your women.

If you're out there dancing, then I have to think the women won't be doing too much lamenting.
DevilDan

Postby MarchHatter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:16 am

Last update just added another level of complexity to dance fighting.
If rocking out is better than dance fighting, what does it actually do? Can you dance fight and rock out at the same time?
MarchHatter

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:24 am

MarchHatter wrote:Last update just added another level of complexity to dance fighting.
If rocking out is better than dance fighting, what does it actually do? Can you dance fight and rock out at the same time?

Something tells me that they're not compatible... unless we go for my idea of moshing as advanced dance fighting.
DevilDan

Postby Anton Gaist » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:27 am

MarchHatter wrote:Last update just added another level of complexity to dance fighting.

I think it's more like rocking out is to dance-fighting as decrypting is to uncroaking. It gives a higher bonus than your regular music number.
Gentlemen, I like war.
I like trench war, I like Blitzkrieg, I like the offensive, I like the defensive.
I truly love each and every kind of war man can wage on a tabletop game.
Anton Gaist

Postby carisbourg » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:00 pm

It could also lead units in dance fighting that originally couldn't do it like Ansom and the Archons did during the battle of Gobwin Knob.

PS I did not plan that band name, it just came out.
carisbourg

Postby Raza » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:02 pm

I interpret dance fighting as a challenge kind of thing, giving a morale bonus to combat to whichever side danced more impressively equal to the difference between performances. It is not initiated as a generic buff to be used for every combat, or Jillian, Vinnie and Ansom would have used against the dragons, but a challenge made between compatible units. If the challenge goes unanswered, the unwilling party gets served and the dancers collect a major bonus - seen in the courtyard battle - but if both sides dance it cancels eachother out rather than adding to both sides' offensive effectiveness. Quite possibly there is a bonus for the side answering a dance fight initiated on them, as it seems like a psychological thing where having the initiative counts for a lot, and both times we've seen a dance fight answered in kind the battles between dancers have gone towards the last performer. Dance fighting probably doesn't even help against a unit, like a dwagon, that is naturally incapable of being humiliated by the suggestion of inferior dancing skills.

Rocking out counts as dance fighting in that it answers or poses a challenge, but scores structurally higher.
Raza

Postby taltamir » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:08 am

notice that wanda did one sort of dance... while ansom did DDR thing. So how many kinds of dance fighting are there? is ansoms and wanda's dancing equal?
taltamir

Postby moose o death » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:55 am

ansoms was stronger? but he had an artifact and archons. i mean c'mon that would obviously make you a better dancer?
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby MarchHatter » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:46 am

I think how awesome you look and your dance skills you have effect how well you do in a dance fight against another dance fighter.
MarchHatter

Postby DevilDan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 am

Ansom was a powerful chief warlord: it's no surprise his dance fu was strong. That said, it wasn't necessarily that his dancing really be superior, just that it be enough to negate the bonus of Wanda's dance fighting, because this is what was putting the weaker uncroaked at an advantage over the living RCC units.
DevilDan

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:07 am

Erfworld time is turn based. Combat could also be round based. Erfworld-fencing night look much different from earth-fencing. In earth fencing-both opponents execute actions simultaneously. If a erf-fencer has uses all of his/her attacks and parries in a round then he/she becomes extremely vulnerable. Running out of parries in a mass combat would be a bad situation. Dancers have an advantage in round based combat because they present a difficult moving target throughout the round. The dance routine could also incorporate patterns that deliver incidental damage without needing to consume an attack.

Another possible advantage is combat fatigue and damage suffered by front line units. A large formation could use a choreography that rotates fresh individuals up to the front line and merges front line units.

Both ideas could be combined. A dance routine could rotate the front line so that several ranks can use all of their attacks every turn.

It should also be pointed out that ancient Greek armies really did use music to synchronize movements. Spartans were supposed to be especially good at it.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby DevilDan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:14 am

Whatever it is, dance-fighting gives an overwhelming advantage even in the case of weaker, dumber units.
DevilDan

Postby Cadrys » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:45 pm

Dance Fighting. Is there any kind of battle it can't give bonuses in?
Cadrys

Postby Decorus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 pm

Ansom could not dance fight. The Archons gave him the ability to dance fight which they obviously have by projecting the moves and he just followed the arrows.
Ansom has the advantage of his warlord leadership bonus is higher then Wanda's bonus for uncroaked troops. Wanda had the advantage of being able to Dance Fight which gave her the advantage until the Archons assisted Ansom. It was clearly stated that no one in the RCC there could dance fight.
Decorus

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld