The building and architecture thread.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The building and architecture thread.

Postby Malanthyus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:11 am

Heya. Since reading summer update 36, had a couple questions buzzing, thought I'd make a place here. What do you think the reason is for the unused buildings in Gobwin Knob? Are they completely useless? Or is there something we're missing? Could these bulding types be simply the shape of a lync to a city function? Post your crazy theories here. :D
Malanthyus

Re: The building and architecture thread.

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:21 am

decorations, and also waypoints for parson to need to check to validate his duty is completed. what good is a concert if no-one has free will?

what good is a gaol, if your murder and decrypt every unit you capture?

what good is a piggeery if your meat arrives fully slugtered in the pantry
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:02 pm

One key question is the history of Erfworld. Have the rules changed at any point? We've all assumed Uniformitarianism is a feature of Erf, but we are talking about the possibility for powerful magics and the existence, apparently, of actual creator deities.

As I've asked, do the "rules" of Erf get an occasional upgrade?

Perhaps some of these building actually do boost some unknowable morale statistic just by being there?
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Lady Nerevar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:47 pm

for the same reason as Universities in Age of Empires i think. No one ever studies, but you get to advance technologies. An amphitheater might boost morale (loyalty? units are more likely to be loyal if they are happy), an ice house could decrease the cost of popping food, a bank might be needed to store your smuckers (like in Black and White i think... you stored materials in storehouses and when you filled one up you had to build more).
Lady Nerevar

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 pm

We've no hint that a bank affects the storage of money per se, but perhaps it improves the rate of exchange between gems and shmuckers or like transactions.

My comments from another thread: Maybe the "civilian" unit is not enabled at the moment. Maybe there used to be a merchant unit? It's entirely possible that all these "useless" buildings give some sort of bonus to X or Y activity or "allow" certain things to happen. Think of all the buildings in RTS games that serve only to enable you to research technologies or produce special units. Others allow greater stockpiling capacity.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:46 pm

civilians would have no purpose though. they get popped and cost upkeep under current rules. if they were to be of any use they would have to reduce upkeep by fulfilling all the roles that the city is charging the side for.

if that were to happen, then you hit the next problem of needing three times as much civilians as soldiers to make the food required to support armies. then when someone takes your cities they get 4 times as much experience slaughtering your whole city.

but really in it's current state, civilians would just complicate the process. the city pops food for the units, it cleans everything up, and those buildings are probably only used to gain a bonus
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Which leads us back where we started, with a world built solely for war.

I could argue that civilians could have a bonus-like purpose. Their mere existence could grant a city X or Y bonus. Popping an entertainer could give a hypothetical morale boost; for all we know he wouldn't even need to perform, just enter the auditorium every day.

Popping an "engineer" could mean that your trebuchets have improved range, accuracy, or attack. Architects make your walls stronger. Etc.

Of course I don't expect that I'm right, but this is one mechanism that would justify the existence of civilians.
DevilDan

Postby Malanthyus » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:04 pm

The question of "civilians" aside, the more I think about it, the more I get the impression that the "empties" are sort of a "flavor choice" or simply a design choice for something that is functional. IE the prison does -something- in addition to the traditional holding prisoners bit. Possesing one might enable the ability to capture units after a successful siege for example.
It then becomes no longer a question of how useful or useless these buildings are, but rather, why were these particular shapes and names chosen for them? Are they leftovers from an earlier model of the game, or are they simply meant to be familiar to someone?
Malanthyus

Postby opal » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:59 pm

I think Erfworld's AI (manager?) uses buildings to help it keep track of stuff. Having a warlord manage a city means the AI doesn't need to check everything individually it just checks the warlords mind (who did check everything individually), so it spends more attention on producing things.
opal

Postby DevilDan » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 am

opal wrote:I think Erfworld's AI (manager?) uses buildings to help it keep track of stuff. Having a warlord manage a city means the AI doesn't need to check everything individually it just checks the warlords mind (who did check everything individually), so it spends more attention on producing things.

If there is something equivalent to a central AI, whatever its nature, it keep track of the fall of every spawwow, erm, sparrow, the flight of every arrow, and much more. Keeping track of what a unit in each city does hardly seems like a challenge.
DevilDan

Postby moose o death » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:01 am

especially in a tbs, no latency issues either.

also spawwow, made me think of sham wow. i see an info mercial about that stuff every sunday at bowling, the alley only plays music though so everytime i see it it looks like a cheap filmclip spoofing infomercial's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns4mnmNBk1Y

watch it without sound, or better yet play something horrible like a beyonce song, or 99 luftballoons
moose o death

Return to Everything Else Erfworld