Farms might not have pest random encounters?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Farms might not have pest random encounters?

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:12 pm

We don't know if scavengers or decomposers exist in Erfworld, but we do know that decomposition is mostly hidden (if not entirely).

In real life, scavengers find prey every day (unless they're not birds or mammals so they need even less food than that, more like food every few weeks or months) to eat and if they behave similarly in Erfworld they could get prey to eat every day (and if they have to tag along stealtily behind predators/armies hex-by-hex or sit by death hotspots like Dungeon Crawling areas or something, so be it) ...

As for if Erfworld has true, visible, decomposers and not just "random fungus groves" or something, we don't know. Every dead person we've seen was uncroked or decrypted by Wanda, we haven't seen the natural decomposition process (ex: perhaps dead bodies that are "cleaned out" for the next turn might leave some fungus or at least compost/+1 to soil quality behind).

About the scavengers, what if a Farm has a random encounter with a wild creature (like Stanley going out to tame Dwagons except the creature comes to the farm and not the other way around) and the wild creature eats some of the food there? Is this at least one place in Erfworld where the production facilities are not necessarily totally devoid of action (if person patrols farm(s), +X to pests/wildlife not stealing food and they may actually have to fight off random encounters?), aside from Crafting which does seem to involve some action as well (ex: Twoll weaving picnic basket instead of it popping out of thin air).

Unfortunately the flaw in this idea is that there are no "bank robbers" that Parson has to deal with robbing the "empty banks" in Gobwin Knob so these kinds of random encounters in production facilities don't seem to happen.
Hari Seldon

Re: Farms might not have pest random encounters?

Postby Ferrous » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Check the strip where Misty gets buried. Misty the lookamancer is the only one who isn't uncroaked or decrypted, and apparently if left dead, bodies disappear like trash or grime. I don't they they decompose as much as they simply disappear.
"Those who live in fear deserve what they get." -Ivan Moldavi
Marooner | Banjoist | Mapamancer
Ferrous

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Bodies in cities may disappear without a trace... bodies elsewhere, probably but it's not certain.

If there are creatures that pop up like those ram-things and there are carnivorous creatures that also pop, then there's room for scavengers.

The scavengers that usually follow armies aren't going to get a lot of food out of GK supersized strike force, I bet.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Thank you both of you, you were helpful.

So what about Farms? Are they like the other "empty" buildings and not have "action" going on in them (like random encounters with pests nibbling on them?).

I have to say, though, perhaps epic-level pest encounters *might* happen (ex: Nova: Plague of Rats (every 48-years) we just don't know (you know like we don't know if random events like "Black Plauge! All Sides have serious problems!" exist).

Nova: Plague of Rats (every 48-years) wrote:Once every 48 years, forests of the bamboo known as Melocanna baccifera go into exuberant flower in parts of northeast India. And then, like clockwork, the event is invariably followed by a plague of black rats that spring from nowhere to spread destruction and famine in their wake. For the first time on film, NOVA and National Geographic capture this massive rat population explosion in the kind of vivid detail not possible in 1959, when the last invasion occurred.
KEN APLIN: ...rat burrows going down here. There's a big one down this side. This one's got nest...old nest material in there; underneath the surface here, I think.

This field blows me away.

We've got a rat burrow on the surface, maybe one every yard, and that's what? Two, three thousand rats per acre?

And we add to that all rats that would have been living up in their leaf nests, up in the trees, in the bushes, in the bamboo, we may be looking at something like 10,000 rats per acre or more.

Now that's a number that is off the scale. I've never heard of that sort of rat density in forests, in rice fields, any kind of habitat anywhere in the world.

When was the main period of damage in the field?

NARRATOR: By interviewing the farmers who were hit last year, Ken is trying to establish a timeline, from when the bamboo fruit appeared to when the rats ravaged the fields.

It seems to take about six months until the rats attack.

Over the course of three nights, as the villagers sleep, rats erupt out of the ground by the thousands, overrun the fields and eat everything in sight.

This year, there won't be a harvest.

Please note this is not as apocaalyptic as it seems, the villagers only have to harvest their crops and put it in rat-unclimbable elevated sheds for everything to be ok. The problem is that they don't know when the rats are coming and the rats tend to come (and in some bamboo forest groups (the bamboo all drop their fruit at once as a way to ensure some fruit remains uneaten) the rats unluckily arrive during harvest time.
Last edited by Hari Seldon on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hari Seldon

Postby moose o death » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 pm

unless the farm is occupied by twolls, there isn't any units to have a random encounter with.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Hari Seldon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Yeah that's the big question isn't it? We have a Twoll blacksmith but apparently not Twoll Bankers ... Prison guards were hinted to exist though they are no longer useful for GW with Decryption. Twoll Lumber Yard woodcrafters ... the recent update wasn't clear but it could very well be empty, just like the slaugherhouse.

It seems that the "empty" buildings (though they still have "The clacks and rings of city activities carried on the breeze.") are limited to harvesting natural resources except the Ampitheater is empty ...

I just can't figure out the system of what makes City (or farm) buildings empty or not. Maybe Twolls assigned to civilian jobs actually phase into a different reality of civilan life that is invisible to the Erfworld military ... my head is gonna explode now ...
Hari Seldon

Postby DevilDan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:47 pm

I actually had a similar mental image of barely visible but intangible "ghost workers" doing all the work, but that's just fanciful thinking.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Return to Everything Else Erfworld