The definition of erfworld's "Royalty"

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The definition of erfworld's "Royalty"

Postby Malanthyus » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Hiya, getting straight to the point, started this thread to both review, and create the current definition of what the term "Royalty" means in erfworld.

The reason I feel this is important is because I don't personally believe it means the same thing as the assumptions we're making about it, even those of use who realize it -is- just a gaming term.

Royalty on Earthworld: a. A person of royal rank or lineage.
b. Monarchs and their families considered as a group.
2. The lineage or rank of a monarch.
3. The power, status, or authority of a monarch.
4. Royal quality or bearing.
5. A kingdom or possession ruled by a monarch.
6. A right or prerogative of the crown, as that of receiving a percentage of the proceeds from mines in the royal domain.
a. The granting of a right by a monarch to a corporation or an individual to exploit specified natural resources.
b. The payment for such a right.
a. A share paid to a writer or composer out of the proceeds resulting from the sale or performance of his or her work.
b. A share in the proceeds paid to an inventor or a proprietor for the right to use his or her invention or services.
9. A share of the profit or product reserved by the grantor, especially of an oil or mining lease. Also called override.

Royalty on ERFworld:
Known facts:

Units designated "Royal" require 60 turns for a level 4 city to pop.

Units designated "Royal" level an unspecified amount faster than other units.

Units designated "Royal" have -on average- higher stats than other units.

From recent summer updates we know that Royal units are "Popped" with knowledge of things like diplomacy, etiquette, and other training that falls under the category of "leadership".

'Training'. Or this case knowledge that the units come with. That's something important to focus on, particularly as relevant to the "idealogical" war we seem to be seeing going on here.

To put it in terms we might better understand, Erfworld royals are 'engineered' to be stronger, faster, and smarter than other units. They've had the knowledge of how to lead and interact with other leaders implanted into their brains. There's just one small problem.

From what we've seen, the differences between jillian and her father, wanda, bogroll, stanley himself; there is a -wide- variance in the random number generation of unit "stats".

Things like personality, and "how much" better or worse are given to random chance. Stanley might have been intended to be a piker, but he lucked out in stat generation, giving him high end combat abilities, and a frightening about of tactical talent.

Now, let's return to "training". The idea of experience and level gain aside, the concept is a bit foreign in erfworld. Knowledge is expected to already be in place. The current royals don't believe anyone but a royal should lead from their point of view, simply because no other unit type -has- that implanted knowledge of how to lead.

Have I missed anything?
Malanthyus

Re: The definition of erfworld's "Royalty"

Postby Wyvern » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:02 am

Malanthyus wrote:From recent summer updates we know that Royal units are "Popped" with knowledge of things like diplomacy, etiquette, and other training that falls under the category of "leadership".

I would like to point out at this juncture that Jillian was popped as a Royal. I would not list diplomacy or etiquette amongst her innate talents.

I think the most directly important aspect of royalty (apart from the hard statistical benefits and the fact that they can found sides with the "royal" attribute) is that natural thinkamancy most likely applies differently to them than other units, with more (or at least differently-focused) free will than similarly-ranked non-royals.
Wyvern

Postby Malanthyus » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:17 am

Wyvern wrote:
Malanthyus wrote:From recent summer updates we know that Royal units are "Popped" with knowledge of things like diplomacy, etiquette, and other training that falls under the category of "leadership".

I would like to point out at this juncture that Jillian was popped as a Royal. I would not list diplomacy or etiquette amongst her innate talents.

I think the most directly important aspect of royalty (apart from the hard statistical benefits and the fact that they can found sides with the "royal" attribute) is that natural thinkamancy most likely applies differently to them than other units, with more (or at least differently-focused) free will than similarly-ranked non-royals.

If you reread her conversation with the Don, you'll realize that she -did- know how to take Tea. Jillian may not know the etiquette as well as othe royals, or even have any desire to remember it, but she does know a great deal more of it than a simple piker.

Edit: Also, we're not speaking of "talent", we're speaking of trained information implanted into the unit's memory at pop. Jillian is also a prime example of how you can have the training without the ability to use it well.
Malanthyus

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:04 am

Or, rather, she was less than interested in employing said knowledge or abilities.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Wyvern » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:30 am

Well, she seemed to legitimately not know what the salad fork was way back in the day (until Ansom told her). I get the impression that her knowledge of proper royal behavior is mostly just what she's picked up from observation, not an innate understanding of all the finer points.
Wyvern

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:18 am

Which, at the end of the day, goes to show that there's more to being a royal than knowing that this is a salad fork ---->
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby carisbourg » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 am

Wyvern wrote:Well, she seemed to legitimately not know what the salad fork was way back in the day (until Ansom told her). I get the impression that her knowledge of proper royal behavior is mostly just what she's picked up from observation, not an innate understanding of all the finer points.

Want to bet that Ansom couldn't hold a pair of chopsticks properly? Or paint sumi-e. If the Japanese motif of Faq holds true then Jillian could probably do both of those. I think that each of them could be taught to eat properly in the other culture's manner though; <snob>they are royals after all</snob>

Her response about the salad fork is also interesting when she finds out. To me it sounds as if she was curious about it, but never wanted to ask anyone. After all, a barbarian wouldn't care which was the salad fork, and she didn't want to blow her persona.
carisbourg

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:46 am

In the grand scheme of things, a world that drives its inhabitants to warfare—much like Margaret Mead's descriptions of Samoans who feel that they must fight each other unless they can find some familial linkage—is one in which royals don't necessarily need to be born knowing all rules of etiquette. Etiquette may well be a refinement, a set of customs, that the royals themselves developed and "refined." As such, it may not be part of a royal's innate complement of knowledge. In other words, salad fork lore may not be considered as important by Erf.

Carisbourg's chopstick argument is excellent.
DevilDan

Postby Malanthyus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:37 pm

RE:Summer update 40

The physical differences between the Jetstone brothers seems to indicate variance in stats between popped units.
Malanthyus

Return to Everything Else Erfworld