Parson Gotti as Sam Tyler?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Parson Gotti as Sam Tyler?

Postby Lord Kasavin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:32 am

Something Maggie said earlier recently came back to me. I quote...

"How would you make a magic blanket?" Parson asked, gnawing on a heel of the rye loaf. "If you wanted one?"

Sizemore looked at Maggie, who was nibbling cheese, and spoke up. "That's Stuffamancy. Really versatile magic. Weapons, armor, tools...Stuffamancers just imagine it and conjure it."

"Conjure as in make it?" Parson said with his mouth full. "Create it? Or summon it from somewhere?"

Sizemore leaned forward excitedly, rocking a little as he spoke. "That's a great question, Warlord. There's a big debate about that, getting right down to the level of 'what is magic?' and 'what is stuff?' Some Casters think they're the same thing, and that Stuffamancy proves it. But even the Stuffamancers don't agree about that."

There was a British television serial (remade for America, though inferior) called Life on Mars which featured a modern detective named Sam Tyler who got into a car accident and when he came to found himself in 1973 as a detective recently transferred to the city. Most episodes feature a tension between him debating whether or not he's actually in the past, merely in coma, or something else entirely. This was intentionally left ambiguous by the creators. However, in the last episode (I'll try to avoid spoilers, but reader be ware) Tyler was confronted with evidence that he really was from 1973 and it was in fact the "present" he imagined due to his injury in the accident.

Why do I bring this up? Because Parson entered the world in a way remarkably similar to how Stuffamancy works. The caster imagines the item, and conjurers it. Admittedly, the spell that summoned Parson was a combination of Predictamancy and Findamancy, not Stuffamancy, but to me the implication is there. Parson was not summoned from a different world, but created. His atypicalness is a product of Wanda's lack of proficiency at Findamancy and Stanley's litany of odd requirements for his "perfect warlord."

I'm not saying this as FACT, but rather as an ambiguity Parson may have to encounter. Eventually, he'll realize he has no way to prove Earth existed and that he is merely a product of a spell poorly cast. Hence, Wanda claimed "[Erfworld] wished for [Parson]." To resolve this ambiguity would probably be a weaker narrative, but I'm getting vibes that the authors want to at least explore it.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Re: Parson Gotti as Sam Tyler?

Postby KiltedNinja » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:00 am

...a fairly eloquent elaboration of "Did Parson dream he was a butterfly, or is he a butterfly dreaming he's Parson".

Viable concept.. Nicely thought, with decent references - however, how does it explain Kinkos, Ashna, and the other troops in his "real life" gaming squad..?

Will be nice to see if there's further developments along these lines...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby carisbourg » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 am

KiltedNinja wrote:...a fairly eloquent elaboration of "Did Parson dream he was a butterfly, or is he a butterfly dreaming he's Parson".
Viable concept.. Nicely thought, with decent references - however, how does it explain Kinkos, Ashna, and the other troops in his "real life" gaming squad..?

That would be the butterfly dreaming he was a Parson.

There's a movie like this, "Jacob's Ladder" where a postman who's a Vietnam vet is having surreal flashbacks to the war.
carisbourg

Postby DevilDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:38 am

The idea that findamancy is involved in the spell, at face value, suggests that he was already out there and needed to be located.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby Scipion » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:28 pm

It's an interesting idea, I like it. However I think the lead up to PLOT and like Dan said the components of the Spell lead us closer to if having found him.

Findamancy - To locate the warlord the warlord needed to fufill the spell
Predictamancy - To verify that the found warlord will fufill the spell

I have a feeling that this spell was created by another caster-link. It actually feels on par with the other incredible magics we've seen come from these match ups.

One of the things I look forward to in this comic is to see what other Atomic Bomb's these links can create.
Scipion

Postby MarchHatter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:19 pm

I think with spell work and everything its possible Parson Gotti is actually in a Sam Tyler Situation, He could have gotten hurt at kinkos and then didn't remember it happening and dreamt the rest in a coma and he wouldn't be able to wake himself up like he was trying because he simply can't because Sam Tyler never could.

Or maybe the spell had a specific Stuffamancy component to it that wanda was not told about and to summon involves stuffamancy possibly.
Today's signature was brought to you by: Erfworld, SteveMB and the Letter Q
MarchHatter

Postby Lord Kasavin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:33 pm

KiltedNinja wrote:...a fairly eloquent elaboration of "Did Parson dream he was a butterfly, or is he a butterfly dreaming he's Parson".

One reason I used LIfe on Mars as oppose to the old butterfly/man bit was Sam Tyler had all these as things as well (only British cops), yet the creators managed to create this ambiguity. Now, to do this sort of thing RIGHT, it can't just be Parson who finds himself doubting. It has to be the reader as well. Now, if Parson was from Greenriver, Iowa (there is no such city), worked at BYB Comics (maybe there's a real one, certainly not a national chain), then we'd see him as a fictional archetype and merely from a world that SEEMED like ours, destroying suspense. Now, by introducing Parson in the "real world," with very little evidence of fiction other than the hidden meaning of his name, we can be open to the wonder when the evidence starts to accumulate that he and his memories are just a byproduct of the spell. Sure some will insist the early strips are proof that he really is Parson Gotti from the Midwest, others will have doubts.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby moose o death » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:39 am

i like this theory, but can't agree with it

i like it because i liked life on mars, and i've thought on a few occasions that all units might pop with memories of things that never happened that define their characters.

but parson is too different from the others. no visible stats (foolamancy?) no inbuilt understanding of mechanics, earthworld food pops, popped at a level other than 0/1. way too much evidence against. not enough for.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Return to Everything Else Erfworld