Night fight

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Night fight

Postby valce » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:37 am

So units have no move at night... but move only applies to movement between hexes.

So if side A has its turn last in a day, couldn't they move their units into the enemy's hex and end turn, then attack during the night while their enemy is sleeping?
valce

Re: Night fight

Postby raphfrk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:52 am

valce wrote:So units have no move at night... but move only applies to movement between hexes.

So if side A has its turn last in a day, couldn't they move their units into the enemy's hex and end turn, then attack during the night while their enemy is sleeping?

Charlie ended turn in GK's airspace. I wonder if he was only allowed to do that as Charlie had complete control of the zone.

Charlie was allowed to participate in the battle even though it wasn't his turn (as long as his units didn't cross zone boundaries).

I guess air units can sleep when flying. If Parson hadn't set off the trimancer volcano bomb, the Archons would have had to stay in flight for the night.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:35 am

I've always assumed that a turn cannot be ended until all fighting has been resolved.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby yay » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:37 pm

maybe a foolamancer veil could help this out.

side A sets up in a hex they know enemies will end turn in, put up a veil, and end turn. side B arrives, sees no one there, and ends turn for the day. side A unveils itself, and gets bonus b/c of suprise.
yay

Postby moose o death » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:20 pm

there is probably a number of action points available within a turn and out of turn these are not possible
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby valce » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:53 pm

moose o death wrote:there is probably a number of action points available within a turn and out of turn these are not possible

The Archons were able to attack Wanda during the Coalition's turn... it's possible that their 'action points' were refreshed by the act of creating a new alliance (and only their move was not), which closes some possibilities for exploitation, but still allows, say...

1. Side A moves some units into a hex, ends turn.
2. Side B moves into the same hex, ends turn.
3. Side C moves into the hex, forms an alliance with side B, and both sides attack side A.

1 and 2 are interchangeable, and if reversed you could set up a nasty pincer on someone who moves his troops in to hold a chokepoint.
valce

Postby atteSmythe » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 pm

"Night" seems to be the time after the last side in your space ends turn, but before the first side in your space starts their next turn.
atteSmythe

Postby raphfrk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 pm

atteSmythe wrote:"Night" seems to be the time after the last side in your space ends turn, but before the first side in your space starts their next turn.

But, can a side enter a hex with enemy units and then end turn. Do you need full control of the hex to end.

If not, then you could have 2 sides in the same hex on someone else's turn. Since in hex combat is in real time, they should be able to attack each other during that other side's turn.

Also, Jillian's interrogation could be an example of "combat" during night.

It is unclear how that works. Wanda was able to transport Jillian to the drop-off point. Presumably, that occured on GK's turn. However, Jillian still have her full move when the RCC started turn.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Yosarian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Well, back when Jillian found the dwagons, it did sound like if enemy units are in a hex, one or both sides can decide to not engage, or not engage right away, and then fight later.

So, sure, it might be possible. We don't really know for certain.
Yosarian

Postby Hari Seldon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Remember people, the only time they said "you can't attack at night" was Parson asking Maggie if they could send their units outside of the city to sneak-attack Ansom's siege engines.

They never talked about doing that stuff in the same hex, which is an interesting point you guys bring up.

And Parson being able to "stay up all night" cramming Erfworld battle mechanics proves that units are not forced to sleep through the night ...

And if you guys haven't already mentioned it, it does appear that units have "Action points" that they use up, so changing Alliaces WON'T get you APs refreshed. Remember, Charlie's Archons DID NOT ATTACK until Ansom's turn when they allied with him, and I think that was on purpose not just because Parson asked Charlie please don't attack. Also, the Royal Coalition would have exploited this if your APs were refreshed, if they had any brains at all.

I have an entirely separate question for you guys. What turn is it for Barbarians (I'm guessing it's whenever they want their turn to be)? If some of Stanley's troops became Barbarians (disbanded military), but with Loyalty bonus points to GK for being allowed to sleep there, getting Upkeep from GK, etc. then could Stanely get 2 turns? Sure those "Barbarian" troops may not have enforced loyalty but it could be useful for infiltrating and listening to enemy leaders' conversations at unexpected times ...
Hari Seldon

Postby Yosarian » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:And if you guys haven't already mentioned it, it does appear that units have "Action points" that they use up, so changing Alliaces WON'T get you APs refreshed. Remember, Charlie's Archons DID NOT ATTACK until Ansom's turn when they allied with him, and I think that was on purpose not just because Parson asked Charlie please don't attack. Also, the Royal Coalition would have exploited this if your APs were refreshed, if they had any brains at all.

I thought Charley's Archons couldn't attack on the Coalition's turn because they couldn't move, couldn't change hexes until their turn, so they couldn't go from "airspace" to "walls". They could, however, hang out in the airspace and do stuff, like bring Ansom his magic carpet and do dance fighting stuff.

I have an entirely separate question for you guys. What turn is it for Barbarians (I'm guessing it's whenever they want their turn to be)?

Well, we don't really know how turn order works for anyone. I'd guess that a barbarian who's working as mercs for a side would go in that side's turn, but who knows.
Yosarian

Postby DevilDan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Any unit can attack off'-turn as long as there´re enemy units in its hex.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Return to Everything Else Erfworld