Cultural Evolution: Faq turns into a Royal Switzerland?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Cultural Evolution: Faq turns into a Royal Switzerland?

Postby Glenn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:52 pm

I predict that the current members of the RCC will not be able to stop Wanda's advance anytime soon. They don't yet understand what Wanda is doing. They don't yet know Stanley is creating a large Dwagon army. Except for Jillian and Vinny, they haven't yet had to face the innovative strategies Parson can come up with. And they don't yet have the full support of Charlie, or of whoever has the Fourth Arkentool. Most of Erfworld doesn't yet consider Gobwin Knob to be a serious threat, which is why the current RCC isn't much bigger than the original RCC.

If I'm right, what will happen as Wanda advances across Erfworld? Each of the members of the Royal Crown Coalition will fall in turn, but many of the leaders and troops of the different sides will manage to escape, and join forces with the members of the Coalition that haven't yet fallen. They will find some way to conserve the money in the treasuries. If money can be transferred from one side to another, then perhaps any side that is about to fall will agree to transfer its money to a Coalition member that has not yet fallen, in return for a binding promise to return the money later.

Eventually, a fairly large group of Royals, Nobles, Casters and troops from different defeated countries will find themselves in the last of the members of the RCC to fall to Wanda's advance. Given the Terrain, and the fact it is the weakest member of the RCC, I believe that final stronghold will be Faq. What will all those Royals who find themselves exiled to Queen Jillian's court do? By this point, Jillian's treasury will be as full of other people's money as a Swiss bank.

There are currently three small cities in Faq. There may be room for more cities in Faq, and it seems likely that the current cities could be expanded. Given that each side has the ability to create different units, I think Jillian will agree to let the other Royals use the money they put in her treasury to found new cities in Faq, each of which will produce the best units which that side is able to pop. Each side will be bound by an agreement not to fight with each other, and the choice of what units are popped will be coordinated, to avoid wasteful duplication of production. I think this concentration of Royals and casters, combined with the production of these new cities, and coupled with the fact that you need to fly or go through a tunnel to reach Faq, will be enough to allow Faq to have a real chance to survive. And I think Jillian's Heir may eventually play a major role in this struggle.
Last edited by Glenn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Re: Cultural Evolution: Faq turns into a Royal Switzerland?

Postby Guurzak » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:16 pm

Glenn wrote:I predict that the current members of the RCC will not be able to stop Wanda's advance for at least 55 turns (Which is when Jillian's Heir will pop).

We know that Jillian was "requested"/ordered to pop an heir. However, we don't know that she complied, and we certainly don't know that she complied immediately. I don't think it's safe to assume that heir production started on turn 18 A.V. (anno volcani). In fact, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it didn't.
Guurzak

Postby Glenn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:41 pm

Guurzak, based on Erfworld 041, you're right. Good call!
Glenn

Postby Raza » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:07 pm

I don't think you can just found and build cities. You get city hexes that have apparently been there since the start of Erf time, that can be build on and sacked or conquered and rebuild again; you don't just build a city in an empty space, or everybody would be doing it instead of starting dangerous conflicts over lvl 1s and 2s against opponents they can't really handle, since cities are the base source of erf resources and would quickly pay for themselves.

I also think that you get base city hexes and capital city hexes, and there might be a lower cap on the strength level of non-capital city hexes
Raza

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Raza wrote:I don't think you can just found and build cities. You get city hexes that have apparently been there since the start of Erf time, that can be build on and sacked or conquered and rebuild again; you don't just build a city in an empty space, or everybody would be doing it instead of starting dangerous conflicts over lvl 1s and 2s against opponents they can't really handle, since cities are the base source of erf resources and would quickly pay for themselves.

By that logic, there wouldn't be any wars on Earth.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby SteveMB » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:56 pm

Guurzak wrote:We know that Jillian was "requested"/ordered to pop an heir. However, we don't know that she complied, and we certainly don't know that she complied immediately.

Evidently she has not complied, and does not intend to do so unless she gets certain concessions:

SU037:
...Don King wanted her to dedicate the next 60 turns of her capital city's production to pop a Royal heir.

SU041:
...[The megalogwiff] was a fine beast. Three times the size of mount she was used to. It had popped in the capital that morning...
...Maybe [Don King] was ready to meet her demands on the heir thing.....

(emphasis added)
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby DevilDan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:06 pm

To him who has ears, let him hear.
They could not possibly win. Every man knew this with certainty, and lo it was glorious.
DevilDan

Postby valce » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:54 pm

DevilDan wrote:
Raza wrote:I don't think you can just found and build cities. You get city hexes that have apparently been there since the start of Erf time, that can be build on and sacked or conquered and rebuild again; you don't just build a city in an empty space, or everybody would be doing it instead of starting dangerous conflicts over lvl 1s and 2s against opponents they can't really handle, since cities are the base source of erf resources and would quickly pay for themselves.

By that logic, there wouldn't be any wars on Earth.

DevilDan is right -- cities may not 'produce' resources so much as give you control over surrounding resources and the ability to 'refine' resources (like cities in a bunch of different games, and cities in real life :))
valce

Postby Darkside007 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:04 pm

I also think that you get base city hexes and capital city hexes, and there might be a lower cap on the strength level of non-capital city hexes

Maybe not. In EvE Online you can set up stations (cities) in any non-Empire space, but the costs and resources are so high that often, it's better/easier to take over other stations.

And also, the resources each station can access may overlap. The more overlap, the less advantage.

At the very least, we know that, once established, cities cannot be completely eliminated. (In EvE completed stations can only be only be seized, they are invulnerable) This results in permanent city tiles, which may be easier to build on. (and have already been analyzed for resource efiiciency.)

We do know, however, that there is no special cap on non-capital city level, as Jetstone has three level 5s, the max city level. Gobwin Knob receives both in-world bonuses and tactical advantages which give it the theorectical capacity of a non-existent level 8 city.
Darkside007

Postby Guurzak » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:02 am

valce wrote:DevilDan is right -- cities may not 'produce' resources so much as give you control over surrounding resources and the ability to 'refine' resources (like cities in a bunch of different games, and cities in real life :))

He circled over the rows of green rye beside the road. The farms around this city were its real value. It would be good to reclaim them for Gobwin Knob.
Guurzak

Postby Glenn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:37 am

Guurzak wrote:
valce wrote:DevilDan is right -- cities may not 'produce' resources so much as give you control over surrounding resources and the ability to 'refine' resources (like cities in a bunch of different games, and cities in real life :))

He circled over the rows of green rye beside the road. The farms around this city were its real value. It would be good to reclaim them for Gobwin Knob.

This is true, but it's also beside the point. We don't know if there are any areas inside Faq where it would be both possible and desirable to build a fourth city, if they had sufficient resources to do so. Is the reason there are only three cities in Faq because:
1 It is only possible to build three cities in Faq?
2 Because there's no point in having more because the three cities already give full access to all the resources in Faq?

or

3 Because the Faqians have simply never had enough money to build more than three cities?
Glenn

Postby DevilDan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:32 am

Given how Faq survived then by remaining hidden, it is logical that they, at least, would approach the possibility of expansion with reticence.
DevilDan

Return to Everything Else Erfworld