Arkentool Suggestions

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Arkentool Suggestions

Postby CountCasimir » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 am

Hey guys, perhaps I'm stepping out a bit too fast here, being a bit of a newbie (and by "bit of a" I mean "complete"), but I'm a long-time reader and a huge fan, so I figured it'd be worthwhile to join the forums.

In any case, I just finished rereading the archives, and noted the "four known Arkentools" line. Maybe it's been brought up somewhere else, but I was curious about the fourth one. I checked the wiki and saw the 3 listed that we've seen in the comic, as well as the 2 that were otherwise suggested.

Anyway, being the suggestible sort, I started looking around my apartment for random crap that I think would make a cool Arkentool. I found a few things, and thought, "hey, I bet people on the forums have been thinking about this sort of thing a lot more than I have!"

Thus, The Arkentool Suggestion Thread. Hey, maybe something suggested here could make it into the comic.

My humble suggestions:
The Arkenjacket: A really fancy jacket reminiscent of the jackets the Titans wear, that confers some sort of awesome Defense bonus on the user.
-Special Unit: errrm...not a clue
-Discipline: Perhaps Luck or Healomancy? EDIT: Or maybe even Dollamancy.

The Arkentroller: A console controller; the ones at my house are Xbox 360, but controllers are pretty iconic no matter the shape.
-Special Unit: Probably puppets or something like that. Though that might be too much like the Pliers.
-Discipline: Thinkamancy? Lookamancy? Findamancy?

The Arkenpen: a ballpoint pen. Yeah, random crap. Not even gonna try to come up with anything for this one; it'd just be too much of a stretch for me.

The Arkensilver: Fork, knife, spoon. Either a set or one of those All-In-One camping things (in which case it'd have to be the Arkenutensil).
-Special Unit: Food-related units! Like gwiffons or marbits, except stronger.
-Discipline: Changemancy, maybe. I'm coming to the realization that completely random things don't always fit in with the disciplines.

The Arkenbroom: Exactly what it sounds like, though whether a modern broom or an old straw one I can't say. Of course, the Attuned would be able to use it as a flying mount.
-Special Unit: I'm thinking Dust Bunnies.
-Discipline: Dirtamancy, in all likelihood.

So yeah, that's what I've come up with. It'd be interesting to think of who might wield the tools, as well.

With that, kick these ones into shape or suggest your own! I know you've all thought about it before.
Last edited by CountCasimir on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountCasimir

Re: Arkentool Suggestions

Postby raphfrk » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:08 am

There have been a few other threads on this. (I was going to suggest that you use the search function, but it fails as "arkentool" is to common a word .. wow :) ).

Some threads:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=359
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=291
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=45

(I did a search for arkenshovel and arkenneedle)

However, your ideas are original, I think.

For Dirtamancy, an Arkenshovel has been considered. Also, if Sizemore is to get an arkentool, a broom seems less in character.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:38 am

i've said it elsewhere but...

the arkenboot (the monopoly boot)
escape bonds (get out of jail freecard) turn adjustements (boardgame) pop cheaper units (bankers perogative)
uses turnamancy /moneymancy

hell monopoly has so many fun things for erfworld, second prize in beauty pageant, bank error in your favour, then you have the properties. taking old kent road to the city pall mall. having cities with small green houses and larger red buildings.
a dog in a wheelbarrow, a ruler with a top hat, cane and monocle
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby joosy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:58 am

moose o death wrote:i've said it elsewhere but...

the arkenboot (the monopoly boot)
escape bonds (get out of jail freecard) turn adjustements (boardgame) pop cheaper units (bankers perogative)
uses turnamancy /moneymancy

hell monopoly has so many fun things for erfworld, second prize in beauty pageant, bank error in your favour, then you have the properties. taking old kent road to the city pall mall. having cities with small green houses and larger red buildings.
a dog in a wheelbarrow, a ruler with a top hat, cane and monocle

heh - I always thought of the Arkentools as the player pieces in Monopoly or the Simpson's Clue game :)

I mentioned it elsewhere but I suggest the
ArkenSpeculum.
Enables forum posters to open up bodily orifices large enough to stick their own head in.

Edit: no, I don't have one of those lying around. I just like saying the word Speculum.. and it sounds like 'Speculate".
joosy

Postby CountCasimir » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Yeah I wasn't sure about there being two Dirtamancy Arkentools, but are there rules that say it can't be so?

It'd make sense, I suppose, if there was one Arkentool for each discipline.

EDIT: In another thread, someone named Ichthus suggested the "Arkenmarker" for Signamancy. That seems like a better bet than an Arkenpen.
CountCasimir

Postby yay » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:07 pm

i think the arkentools have less to do with magic disciplines and more to do with aspects of erfwar, such as the hammer giving it's owner alot of bonus's for combat (giant flying mounts, Rocking out, and lightning), the pliers boosting spellcasting (hypothetical: sizemore+pliers would have sentient Golem Warlords or could make hex wide traps), and the dish giving superior intelegence ability's (can hack communications and creates excellent scout units that can see through veils)

so the next arkentool (if theory is correct) would have to do with unit production maybe (arkenwrench) or unit movement (arkenskates).

also arkendice, you roll them and crazy stuff happens depending on the outcome.
yay

Postby CountCasimir » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:11 pm

yay wrote:also arkendice, you roll them and crazy stuff happens depending on the outcome.

Arkendie or dice would be awesome. Interesting to think...would it be a set of dice, one d6, one d20, or what?
CountCasimir

Postby ftl » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:38 pm

CountCasimir wrote:
yay wrote:also arkendice, you roll them and crazy stuff happens depending on the outcome.

Arkendie or dice would be awesome. Interesting to think...would it be a set of dice, one d6, one d20, or what?

It would be fuzzy dice that hang from car mirrors.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 am

Arkenpipe, flowerpower
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby KiltedNinja » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:30 pm

The Arkenoid ;

...A rectangular hand-held bat which allows the weilder to bat the heads of enemies into other enemies inflicting +2 bonus of "Aaiiee" and "omgwtfwasthatahead?" damage...

Edit :
...I'm also including a suggestion from a usually intelligent source (the Mrs); The ArkenLooRoll... allows you to wipe out your enemies.. +3 absorbancy, and leaves you feeling fresh... (?)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...I'm still holding out for the Arkenoid...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
KiltedNinja
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:21 pm

the arkenshank.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby Kizmet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Arken-ShamWow. Prolly should be Retconjurmancy for cleaning up those inconvenient messes.
Kizmet

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:46 am

A half round bastard file:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00002N5M8/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=16310091&s=industrial

The Arkenbastard.

Maybe the Arkenboop.

The Arkenboopfile could be used for all the things any other file can do. Someone attuned to it would be able to scratch. Scratching disrupts the rhythm of musical sound tracks and negates the dance bonus in erf-world dance fighting. Combatants on the same side as the wielder of the arkenbastard would still be capable of breaking or using other hip hop dance styles.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby Kizmet » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:16 pm

ArkenFoil Hat - immune to all thinkamancy spells. :lol:
Kizmet

Postby CountCasimir » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:23 pm

hahahaha, I like the Arkenfoil hat...

I had a different headgear idea earlier today;

The Arkenshades: Big ol' mirrored aviator sunglasses that give vision bonuses and protect from all sorts of Eyemancy, and perhaps Hocus Pocus too.
Special Unit: Dunno, but I was thinking something related to State Troopers. K9s maybe?
Discipline: It's hard to decide between Lookamancy and Findamancy, but probably Lookamancy.
CountCasimir

Postby carisbourg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:52 pm

So I think here moose o death suggested the Arkencrown: neutralize control over opponents units.
carisbourg

Postby joosy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Fun speculation.

Just remember that the Arkentools are merely the macguffins of the story.

Be careful not to make them the main focus or else you will lose everthing else or it will turn into a cheap knock off of the late Saberhagen's Swords series:

http://www.berserker.com/info_swdsong.htm
joosy

Postby khyron42 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:50 pm

joosy wrote:Fun speculation.

Just remember that the Arkentools are merely the macguffins of the story.

Be careful not to make them the main focus or else you will lose everthing else or it will turn into a cheap knock off of the late Saberhagen's Swords series:

http://www.berserker.com/info_swdsong.htm

Given the writer we're working with here, I'm assuming they are actually fake macguffins... whose real meaning will come out as one of those "holy booping boop, that's cool" moments.

The Titans, on page 1, accidentally dropped an extra gem in and may have dropped the tools too. These are the Tools of the Titans - may have been the tools they used to make Erfworld, and essential in re-shaping that world once Parson understands them. What they do in the hands of attuned units may be their real ability filtered through the personality of the unit. Pliers bend and turn things; hammers flatten and break things; satellite dishes receive things. The arkendish gives me some problem with the worldbuilding tools concept, but I can make it fit, barely.

Back to playing with concepts for tools: if Plot is driving towards Gobwin Knob having all of them, I humbly suggest the Arkenvac. Dirtamancers might have some use for it.

Alternatively, the Arkensaw gives everyone a truly horrible pun to play around with, especially if you toss in a lot of other puns about the deep south related to the side that controls it...

"An arkentool has joined the RCC II! King Billy of Hills found it in his lands, and sends his heir, Beverly, to join us." "I've never heard of that side!" "Well, he was the heir of Babd, but took over another capital city south of there and started his own side. They're basically southern Babdists." Their cities could all be bad southern puns, too...
khyron42
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:34 am

khyron42 wrote:
The Titans, on page 1, accidentally dropped an extra gem in and may have dropped the tools too.

I read that differently. It is a creative way of saying the battle was close and could have gone the other way. It is framed in the way of thinking of erfworlders. "The titans caused everything" hence the gem was dropped by the titans. You could tell a history of erfworld and say that a miner worked extra hard and mined an extra gem. That would emphasize hard work as a moral. A different historian might sequence the development of marbit arms, armor and tactics leading up to a maneuverable wedge of axemen supported by crossbows. Yet another historian might dwell on the critical importance of Warchalking in the war between Gobwin knob and the RCC. Each version could be equally true in its own way.

Book one is a story about Wanda and Parsons. Wanda is loyal to fate magic and a believer in the Titans. It is Wanda's worldview that makes it caused by the Titans, caused by accident, and caused in the beginning. Ansum (pre-decryption) might have claimed that it was the will of the titans and the gem was placed there deliberately. Scholars in FAQ may have debated the question of omniscience and predetermination. I think there would several sides to the debate just like in earth-world.

I think the story told as is sets the stage well and cuts straight to the main characters. It explains why Wanda thought she needed to convince Stanley to spend the treasury to buy a spell from the magic kingdom. I do not think it gives us hard facts about the origins of Erfworld or the items found in Erfworld.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby moose o death » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:09 am

if sizemore managed to get the arkenshovel everyone is so confident was custom made for his character...would he dual wield his shovel wand as well? actually no i'm going to stop imagining sizemore in fighting poses. i forgot he doesn't seem to wear pants under the tunic.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld