Guesses on book N° 2

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Guesses on book N° 2

Postby Roketter » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:33 am

When do you think it will begin ? (Story wise)

The battle at Unaroyal's capital. If unaroyal decides to call for Jetstone's help then there'll be lots of action, and we get to see the Jetstone bros in action for the first time!

After the battle of unaroyal. Gobwin knob is building up forces and so is the coalition.

Battle at Jetstone's Capital! Either an epic battle or a surprise attack to put the good guys in trouble from the start so they have to fight it out to survive after *loosing?*.

some other point ?
Roketter

Re: Guesses on book N° 2

Postby Lord Kasavin » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:36 pm

The main purpose of the Summer updates should be to a) tie up loose ends left from Book 1 (such as Stanley returning) and b) foreshadow what's to come in book 2. Hence, if Rob Baldur brings up a RCC2, it ought to be because its going to be present in book 2. With that in mind, my guesses...

1) Parson finds a way to physically leave GK. He's still the main character and all the action is somewhere else. Its OK for him to be behind the lines and not fighting on the front. Its less acceptable for him to not be able to have regular conversations with those at the action.

2) Parson joins another side. I don't like this thoery. He seems to have an interesting dynamic going with the GK cast. However, the current trend is GK getting stronger with more and more advantages while the opposition weakens. Parson belongs on the weak side. Now, I don't have a clue how he'd flip other than Stanley ordering him to the dungeon and Parson somehow getting the Magic Kingdom Portal and pleaing for asylum.

3) Unaroyal falls. Book 2 is suppose to begin 90 turns later or something like that. Unaroyal is 2 turns away. I have a feeling they are going to evacuate the capital and ally themselves with whoever can help pay upkeep.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby Ruttiger » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Guesses?

Well, my first guess is that Stanley will approve Ansom's plan, they'll try it, and it will fail miserably. They'll know what Ansom is going to try, have big ol' ambush waiting, and it will wipe out the decrypted and probably capture Wanda and the pliers. The other possibilty I see is Wanda defecting, but I don't see that as likely, except maybe towards the end as a twist. Third possibility I see, is Parson figuring a way out of Gobwin knob and leaving, maybe starting his own side (probably through the magic kingdom portal).

I could very much see him trying to use Maggie and Sizemore to try and build contacts in the Magic Kingdom, maybe as a way out of GK, or even just as a tool for later use (he's demonstrated what magic can do in Erfworld).

As to when? Well, all the players seem to be lined up, I can't imagine them needing more than a few more summer updates before they start making the comic again (unless this is the new format for Erfworld).
Ruttiger

Postby pSycHOtic chICkeN » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:04 pm

It may or may not be book 2, but I think some book should start with or contain the popping of Wanda. I would like to see a full history of FAQ.

The early days of sizemore and misty would be interesting too.
pSycHOtic chICkeN

Postby mea culpa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:The main purpose of the Summer updates should be to a) tie up loose ends left from Book 1 (such as Stanley returning) and b) foreshadow what's to come in book 2. Hence, if Rob Baldur brings up a RCC2, it ought to be because its going to be present in book 2. With that in mind, my guesses...

1) Parson finds a way to physically leave GK. He's still the main character and all the action is somewhere else. Its OK for him to be behind the lines and not fighting on the front. Its less acceptable for him to not be able to have regular conversations with those at the action.

I don't know whether anyone else has already suggested this but isn't the ideal and perfect solution to 'fool' the world itself? Remember how he linked up maggie, sizemore and wanda to uncroak the vulcano (which hadn't tried before either); sizemore doing the earth-parts, wanda the uncroaking and maggie the thinking and linking.
What is needed to fool the world? Maggie obviously. Sizemore for the contact with the earth aka world itself... and a foolamancer! Exactly the casters currently around.

edit: fooling the world as in; fooling that Parson is actually a unit with movement and/or a normal heavy and thus able to fly a dwagon

If it hasn't been thought out like that it's some massive coincedense.

Now for what happens for the rest, I'm not really sure. Looking at the importance thus far and the potential I think we agree that the Tool was quite important... but even though he is attuned to the hammer I just don't see how he can continue on fulfilling a worthwhile role. The only role of real importance he had was being Tool but now with Wanda definately undermining that... would normally say his days of story-importance are numbered but still, can't really throw out an attuned character can you?

Wandas finest hour has finally come so expect to see a lot more from her. She seems to become the classical big invincible baddy which obviously suits for a nice guerilla war... With leads me to think that Parson will have to go against her... On the other hand, at Gobwin Knob are currently many fliers with probably all a load of movement (suits fliers) and the idea was cast to increase the amount of airforce... And that in turn would suit a moving target (guerillas) very well. Especially with the help of a foolamancer.

So yes, in short I think Wanda will be the big unbeatable land force with Parson guerilla warring against her while flying around (after having thus fooled the world that he is a normal heavy ;) )
mea culpa

Postby Roketter » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:57 pm

I look foward to seeing PArson interact with other characters, like Jillian, Vinnie and others.
Roketter

Postby JoshuaWhite » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:54 pm

I think the friction between Stanley and Wanda will come to a head in the beginning of book 2. Wanda will keep conquering, and somehow she will shake free of Stanley. What would be really cool is if Parson, Sizemore, and Jack would reunite after Stanley under Jillian Zamussels - but that sounds more like endgame for Book 2. As Stanley stop being a ruler, look for him to do something really GOOD, on accident.

And somewhere, we will see an Obama fist bump.
JoshuaWhite

Postby BCCroaker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Likely it will begin after Capclave. The updates have dried up, Robs probably travelling there now to sing his songs and the lucky buggers who are there will have the answers to all the questions the forums have been worrying at all summer.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby mea culpa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:32 am

JoshuaWhite wrote:Wanda will keep conquering, and somehow she will shake free of Stanley.

the Somehow-part isn't hard since she doesn't have to be loyal to stanley; she has a free will

see: http://www.erfworld.com/wp-content/uploads/book1/095.jpg
mea culpa

Postby noxharrington » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:29 pm

With a huge army, the Arkenhammer, Arkenpliars, and bracer on one side and just usual Erfworlers on the other there is no challenge. Everyone Stanley croaks is -1 their side +1 us, infinite powerful flying units, and knowledge of the future - it doesn't take a tactical genius to win a battle like that, and that's what Book 1 was about - watching a fine gamesman figure out a way to beat the odds through nontraditional means.

So, there are a couple possibilities, but they all mean the same thing: book 2 will start when there's an interesting (in terms of odds, not characters. The characters are already interesting.) fight on the horizon. So,

1. a new, very powerful enemy presents itself.
2. infighting - Wanda vs. Stanley seems most likely, but it could also be Parson vs both of them.
3. Charlescomm reveals himself to be even more powerful than anticipated. Maybe he asks 7 more questions and then breaks the bracer with the 8th. Shows a reliable way to permanently croak the decrypted - and in big numbers.
4. The Tool and his forces vs the Magic Kingdom? I'd read that.
noxharrington

Postby raphfrk » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm

noxharrington wrote:3. Charlescomm reveals himself to be even more powerful than anticipated. Maybe he asks 7 more questions and then breaks the bracer with the 8th. Shows a reliable way to permanently croak the decrypted - and in big numbers.

Interesting, so something like:

Parson: Your plan has a 94% chance of success. I guess you won't need to use you last question at all.
Charlie: I will use it now. What is the last digit of PI? Contact me when you have it.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Roketter » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Haha the bracers are magical, they'd either tell him the last digit, or explain why it doesn't have a last digit. And PArson's the one bound to give the answers, not the bracer.
Roketter

Postby carisbourg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:39 am

What about the possibility that on Erfworld pi has a finite number of digits. If you use non-Euclidean geometry, there is more than one value for pi.
carisbourg

Postby noxharrington » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:49 am

Roketter wrote:Haha the bracers are magical, they'd either tell him the last digit, or explain why it doesn't have a last digit. And PArson's the one bound to give the answers, not the bracer.

I think the problem is this is a non-probabilistic question.
noxharrington

Postby raphfrk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:52 am

carisbourg wrote:What about the possibility that on Erfworld pi has a finite number of digits. If you use non-Euclidean geometry, there is more than one value for pi.

True, for a hex, the value of PI is exactly 3 :).
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld