[speculation] 9th magic class; nothingmancy

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

[speculation] 9th magic class; nothingmancy

Postby Telva » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:58 am

Long time reader, first time poster.

http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F038a.jpg

In the above charts there is no magical class that contains nothing from all of the elements (life, motion, and matter). I find this unsettling.

Now before we decide that it can't be magic because it doesn't contain those elements let us not forget that people from erfworld do not even know everything there is to know about magic, they debate about it. They do not know where stuff comes from. Perhaps it comes from nothing?

Also, since it wouldn't be tied to the elements it would almost be impossible to figure out, to cast, particularly if casters were looking for an element. Because they limit themselves to those elements it'd be almost as if it didn't exist. I suggest the only casters to master nothingmancy are the titans themselves.

With my previous theory that stuff comes from nothing, perhaps the titans created enough nothing in order to create enough stuff for a world. All worlds. Let's also say that for something to exist on such a scale there needs to be a lot of nothing. it would more or less explain why there's so much space between celestial bodies.

So, nothingmancy.

ERF: The Void
FATE: Clairvoyance
NUMBERS: Infinity

Thoughts?

EDIT: I'll also note, if anyone hasn't, that Clevermancy and eyemancy use the same elements
Last edited by Telva on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telva

Re: [speculation] 9th magic class; nothingmancy

Postby Justyn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:05 am

Telva wrote:EDIT: I'll also note, if anyone hasn't, that Clevermancy and eyemancy use the same elements

They "use" the same elements because that's a mistake; Clevermancy doesn't use any of the elements, the person uploading the comics forgot to upload the fixed version of the page on this site.

Here's the link to the fixed version of the page over at Giant in the Playground, where the comic was originally hosted: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0040.html.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby carisbourg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:09 am

No, the comic on this site is the fixed version. It has Retconjuration in it. The change of the axes for Clevermancy is an example of Retconjuration. The Titans Retconjured it at the same time they deleted Deletionism and inserted Retconjuration.

I'm sure one of the debates in the Magic Kingdom Sizemore was talking about would go like:

"Since you're not using any of the elements you're not casting magic. That's why there isn't a school like that."

"But since magic itself is not one of the three axes and almost all of the classes are cast without at least one axis you should be able to cast using magic directly aligned by Erf, Fate or Numbers"
"Just becasue you can cast without one of the axes doesn't mean you can't cast without any of them."

"Yes it does."

Yadda, Yadda Yadda.
carisbourg

Postby SteveMB » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:18 am

carisbourg wrote:No, the comic on this site is the fixed version. It has Retconjuration in it. The change of the axes for Clevermancy is an example of Retconjuration. The Titans Retconjured it at the same time they deleted Deletionism and inserted Retconjuration.

That was the intended change. The original typo fix (to correct Clevermancy to 0-0-0) was mistakenly undone.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:48 am

SteveMB wrote:That was the intended change. The original typo fix (to correct Clevermancy to 0-0-0) was mistakenly undone.

... or maybe that is what they want you to believe :). How long has the updated typo been left unfixed?
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Guurzak » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:52 am

The Titans have specifically posted on this forum that the reversion of Clevermancy was an error, and that it is indeed supposed to be unaligned with any axis.
Guurzak

Postby Darkside007 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Guurzak wrote:The Titans have specifically posted on this forum that the reversion of Clevermancy was an error, and that it is indeed supposed to be unaligned with any axis.

Where?
Darkside007

Postby SteveMB » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Darkside007 wrote:
Guurzak wrote:The Titans have specifically posted on this forum that the reversion of Clevermancy was an error, and that it is indeed supposed to be unaligned with any axis.

Where?

A post from the GitP forum that had apparently slipped through the cracks in compiling the Word of the Titans page; now added here.

I'm guessing that when Retconjuration was retconjured into the table, Rob worked from the earlier version of the page (to avoid copy-of-a-copy degradations to which lossy-compressed formats such as jpeg are heir), and the earlier error was re-introduced.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB

Postby carisbourg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:29 pm

I stand corrected. I wonder how the Luckomancers, Healomancers and Moneymancers are adjusting during this period, if they even know that they used to have unaligned magic.
carisbourg

Postby Guurzak » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:54 pm

Reconfirmed here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=463&p=8743#p8743

"It's a mistake that was corrected once and re-messed-up in the Retconjuration. I will get to it."
Guurzak

Return to Everything Else Erfworld