Let's talk Charlescomm!

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: Let's talk Charlescomm!

Postby Lamech » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:30 am

Nnelg wrote:That brings another thought to mind:

If I were attacking Charlie's city, how would I do it?

With all of Charlie's defenses, any conventional siege will turn into a meat grinder. I see four ways to deal with it:
  • 1: Direct Assault - Accept the casualty rate, overwhelm with shear numbers. Some clever maneuvering can decrease the casualty rate, but it'll still be a bloodbath.
  • 2: Extended Siege - Effect an economic and military blockade of his city. Archons will be able to sneak through this, but over time patrols will catch and croak most of them. This combined with a cutoff of funds from mercenary work will shrink the size of Charlie's army, making a conventional assault more feasible.
  • 3: Ender Gambit - Hit hard and fast, advance forwards without regards to casualties, collateral, or securing the rear quarters. Target is Charlie (or perhaps the Arkendish). If just one dwagon makes through to croak him, it's game over.
  • 4: Fool's Mate - Trick Charlie to move the bulk of his forces out of the city, or at least out of the garrison. Then attack him from an unexpected angle.

5: Bombardment - Build Siege Weapons or even better cannons, and hurl huge chunks of rock from outside the city when its not Charlie's turn. Destroy the city without being in danger.
6: Summon Fat Man - And by Fat Man I don't mean Parson. Preferably just throw it through the MK side portal. Before hand I recommend saying the titans will smite all your foes, and publicly threaten Charlie with the Titans' wrath.
Lamech

Postby Housellama » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Nnelg wrote:That brings another thought to mind:

If I were attacking Charlie's city, how would I do it?

With all of Charlie's defenses, any conventional siege will turn into a meat grinder. I see four ways to deal with it:
(snipped for brevity)

Once again, I think Charlie's forces are less important than Charlie himself. Unless you first outthink Charlie, no attack of any kind would succeed. With that in mind, I believe that the best way to defeat Charlie is politically. His greatest asset is his neutrality. It makes him trustworthy, or at least predictably untrustworthy. Everyone knows that Charlie looks out for Charlie, and he is... if not predictable then reliable.

When Charlie makes an agreement, his unusual position practically requires him to keep it, or at least ensure that there are no survivors to tell the tale. Without his reputation, he has nothing to offer. He lives and breathes deals, and without them, he's much, much weaker. Archons are strong troops, but not that strong. They are, as people have pointed out, also very expensive. Charlie doesn't have a steady source of internal income. He has to rely on other Sides to buy what he's selling to keep his position. Which makes his biggest strength, his neutrality, his greatest weakness.

So you attack him where he is vulnerable. Use his wheeling and dealing against him. Force him into untenable positions. Engineer agreements where he can't keep his word no matter what he does. Whittle down his credibility with smear campaigns and impossible situations. If you kick his reputation out from under him, cleaning up his troops practically becomes an afterthought. What economics doesn't take care of can be solved by attrition. With his archons scattered over a wide area, they become extremely vulnerable to massed attacks. While Charlie is scrambling to repair his reputation, his troops are getting slaughtered wholesale around the land. If he moves to mass his troops to protect them, that can be used as proof that he's planning a direct attack and it's all downhill from there.

Directly attacking Charlie in any physical way while he still has a support network is a waste of men and resources. Until he doesn't have anywhere to turn, he can pull far too many favors to take on. Destroy his reputation, smear his reputation and remove his customers and he'll fall easily enough.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Housellama wrote:Directly attacking Charlie in any physical way while he still has a support network is a waste of men and resources. Until he doesn't have anywhere to turn, he can pull far too many favors to take on. Destroy his reputation, smear his reputation and remove his customers and he'll fall easily enough.

No one trusts Charlie to honor anything other than explicit contracts. Nobody is going to do Charlie any favors because they "owe" him.; that system only works if Charlie would repay in favors. He may be able to instigate enemies against you, point out your weaknesses, or hand them a big bag of shmuckers to kill you though. But he doesn't have a support network. If he runs into a side that can crush him on its own he's probably in trouble. He might be able to convince neighbors to go after them, but OTOH those neighbors might decide pissing off a super power is a bad choice.

I do agree however that for a conventional side that politics is the way to go. First, he seems to have a bigger force than any one side could reasonably take on. First 200 archons worth of blasts will rain down on you. That will be painful. The 700 golems. Each of those is probably worth several infantry, and he's in a city so you'll need to outgun him badly. He'll probably hire a casters to break out all the buff spells too. Double bonuses, big luckamancy bonus, a full lookamancy scout, endless tower shots and who knows what else. Then the traps. Then... oh plus if you devote all your forces you can't defend due to upkeep restrictions, and Charlie's much faster archons can take down your side. So you'll either need a huge alliance, or Charlie will need to be weakened ahead of time.

However a non-conventional side? Say no upkeep decrypted side, using Parson's farm plan, and taming numerous dwagons a turn? So much easier. "Hello everyone, 30,000 bounty for each archon corpse you sell us. We have these great high penalty truce contracts for 1000 turns who wants to sign? We will have several hundred dwagons show up on your door if you don't. Also TGMtTA are now offering a large number of free thinkagrams to all sides." Then after Charlie runs out of cash since no merc work, and no comm work, 1000 dwagons show up at his capital and bomb the cwap in to it.

tl;dr: Politics may be needed for a conventional side for clever maneuvering, but Charlies force are very important. Being able to kill them and defeat them is needed if you want to defeat Charlie. At the very least you need to not get wiped out by them.
Lamech

Postby Housellama » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Lamech wrote:
Housellama wrote:Directly attacking Charlie in any physical way while he still has a support network is a waste of men and resources. Until he doesn't have anywhere to turn, he can pull far too many favors to take on. Destroy his reputation, smear his reputation and remove his customers and he'll fall easily enough.

No one trusts Charlie to honor anything other than explicit contracts. Nobody is going to do Charlie any favors because they "owe" him.; that system only works if Charlie would repay in favors. He may be able to instigate enemies against you, point out your weaknesses, or hand them a big bag of shmuckers to kill you though. But he doesn't have a support network. If he runs into a side that can crush him on its own he's probably in trouble. He might be able to convince neighbors to go after them, but OTOH those neighbors might decide pissing off a super power is a bad choice.

Re: support network. As long as there are sides willing to deal with Charlie, he's a hard target. That is what I meant by 'support network'. While Charlie still has people willing to work with him, it would be very hard to beat him.

Lamech wrote:tl;dr: Politics may be needed for a conventional side for clever maneuvering, but Charlies force are very important. Being able to kill them and defeat them is needed if you want to defeat Charlie. At the very least you need to not get wiped out by them.

The key to defeating Charlie's archons is to catch them before they can form large groups. As far as the Archons at his base, that's where economics is your friend. Shut him out long enough and that force will eat itself. Assuming golems don't cost upkeep (something I'm not entirely convinced of), Charlie still will be in dire straits. Without air support, golems can be picked off at range with little danger. The Archons are dangerous, but if you catch them in small groups and starve his income, they cease to be a factor.
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu, Chapter 1, Line 18, The Art of War

"The principle of strategy is to know ten thousand things by having one thing." - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Earth, Go Rin No Sho
Housellama

Postby Nnelg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Lamech wrote:5: Bombardment - Build Siege Weapons or even better cannons, and hurl huge chunks of rock from outside the city when its not Charlie's turn. Destroy the city without being in danger.
6: Summon Fat Man - And by Fat Man I don't mean Parson. Preferably just throw it through the MK side portal. Before hand I recommend saying the titans will smite all your foes, and publicly threaten Charlie with the Titans' wrath.

The first one probably isn't possible under Erf rules, but even if it is that siege artillery will have to come within range of lightning raids from archons based in the city. The second assumes the existence of a WMD, which TBSs usually abhor. Besides, you'd probably need a shockmancer-hat magician link-up just to explain where the idea came from.

Lamech wrote:However a non-conventional side? Say no upkeep decrypted side, using Parson's farm plan, and taming numerous dwagons a turn? So much easier.

Ah, but there's a reason such things are unconventional: they're unique. While we can still ponder how such a side would have an easy time of things, it'd be akin to wondering if Napoleon could have conquered Russia if he had diesel trucks to keep his army supplied during the Russian winter. (And the answer to that one's probably yes, if the trucks could withstand the cold themselves that is)

Hmm... Well, as far as reputation goes, Parson's got a great start for all sides in direct contact with GK. Of them, the only one they're on anything close to good terms with is Faq. Transylvito's been unwilling to deal since TBfGK, as far as I can tell, and he's very recently threatened Haggar. ATM he's trying to ease relations with Jetstone by means of the archon bounty, but all that effort may yet be for naught. I suppose it'll take a while for the rumor of tool-wielders leading a 'crusade' of sorts to circulate to the far corners of Erf (which actually might have corners), but it's only a matter of time until it does. As that happens, Charlie will become a subject of suspicion, and find it ever-harder to make good contracts. Suddenly withdrawing most of his mercenary archons couldn't have helped either.

Housellama wrote:
Lamech wrote:tl;dr: Politics may be needed for a conventional side for clever maneuvering, but Charlies force are very important. Being able to kill them and defeat them is needed if you want to defeat Charlie. At the very least you need to not get wiped out by them.

The key to defeating Charlie's archons is to catch them before they can form large groups. As far as the Archons at his base, that's where economics is your friend. Shut him out long enough and that force will eat itself. Assuming golems don't cost upkeep (something I'm not entirely convinced of), Charlie still will be in dire straits. Without air support, golems can be picked off at range with little danger. The Archons are dangerous, but if you catch them in small groups and starve his income, they cease to be a factor.

I fear it may already be too late to stop his archons from assembling, but you're right about needing to catch them in smaller groupings. Instead, hit-and-run tactics could be used. I'd suggest interceptor air patrols as well, but archons are just too good at flying under the radar, so it'd take more force than it's worth.
"The Wizard is Charlie!"
Nnelg

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:43 am

i skipped over most of the text before i posted this so it might of already been answered:the archons that wanda had were placed in a really bad position and usually charlie is providing a 5 or so bonus that the archons did not have.the archons also did not have the army that they usually bolster and couldnt use most or all of their usual versatility because of spells not really being able to cross zones. also slately had 2 casters custom make him weapons for dealing with the archons. in point: the archons were in the worst possible situation and the enemy in one of the best. also: remember that all units are pretty much glass canons. jack took a few punches and that lowered him to a point that wanda was asking if she could decrypt him. im saying that the archons are really powerful, also dove had an upkeep of 75 and that was a caster. in porportion that means archons are REALLY UBER MEGA strong.
conmor

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:49 am

oh and remember that dove and probably every other person warns against attacking charlie. charlie has a high level city with bonuses adding to what i think should be a 12 and enough tactical insight that if you counted it it would make his city an 18. all he would have to do is scatter the archons in the immediate hexes to either be doing jobs elsewhere or surround the army and sit in his bunker while the archons pick off every single unit that happens to be in the wrong place.
conmor

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:58 am

MarbitChow wrote:
GJC wrote:That means that the oldest of these archons absolutely has to havepopped at least 400 turns ago.

Artemis (a level 8 in a major side) was almost 1900 turns old. 400 turns is not that significant.

GJC wrote:Given that a lot of archons we've seen so far seem to have multiple specials, I think higher-levels Archons are more of a norm than an exception.

Narrative bias. You're generally not going to see the low-level ones involved in the story, because Charlie wouldn't be positioning them near the action - it would be too easy to croak them.

GJC wrote:I can buy you saying that archons would level fairly slowly 'cause they have problems getting kills or stuff like that. But you can't argue that they're throwaway units when it's mathematically impossible for half of them to be less than 200 turns old.

Age has no bearing on level. Most units don't train, so they only level when actually getting kills. 20% stay behind and guard Charlie's city, so they're not leveling at all. Artemis' account shows that it took almost 700 turns to reach level 6, and she was Noble - they level faster. http://www.erfworld.com/book-2-archive/ ... -06-02.png

I think you've got a good summary here. I just think you're overestimating the Archon's *average* level, and thus Charlie's average upkeep. Having more than 10-15% of his forces being level 4 or higher seems really high to me; I'd place the *average* between 1 and 2 (closer to 2), as the bulk of his units are probably level 1.

in that same passage it says that it took ansom a bit more than 400 turns to get from 2 to 10. Artemis was not really allowed much action as jetstone was not in any major war at the time. ansom led a war and leveled 8 times. not much of a stretch to say that most archons having fought almost constantly in low risk battles have leveled to 4 at least in a short time
conmor

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:07 am

Balerion wrote:(maybe we will get a hard number for Jillian's typical contract so we can start estimating).

... we do have a solid number of her average income. it is around 1k or more when she is on a job and she is seen as a cheaper alternative. i would put and archon at 2k or more because they do have a lot of stuff going for them.
conmor

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:26 am

people are talking about archons frailness. how they are taken down by 1 strike. archons are not taken down by 1 arrow they are taken down by 1 volley of arrows. dwagons are taken down by 1 or 2 volleys of arrows. archers do not really have individualized attacks. like any unit they attack on mass. the reason it is shown that they are taken down by one wound is that 4 stacks of archers (40 or so in number) shoot a volley at one dwagon. in optimal circumstance the dwagon takes 40 wounds and dies. in bad one it takes only 1 or two wounds. they have more health but the same chance of being taken down from a volley as an archon does. the archons are just smaller. if it was one dwagon against one archer the dwagon would croak the archer no contest. same with archon. with 40 archers it is a different story.

what i am trying to get across is that the archon is not fighting the one archer that happened to get lucky, she is fighting stacks of archers that get lucky. stacks with warlords leading them. it is an arrow with a plus 10 or maybe more on top of what the archer already has. (10 because cw have a bonus to troops in general to troops in hex and troops in stack. the archer is getting the in hex bonus and the bonus of the warlord leading the stack. 5cw+3w+stack bonus which is probably 3 or so.)
conmor

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:14 am

Saladman wrote:I figure Charlie's got an artifact bonus to Archons from attuning to (or from being) the Arkendish. Stanley gets an unspecified artifact bonus to Dwagons. Wanda provides a known bonus to all Decrypted units: 1 to all on her side, 4 in her hex, 8 in her stack. Apparently tied to level except that 1 doesn't scale against the way Chief Warlord leadership works, which is by thirds.

I have no idea what level Charlie is but 10 from repeated casting is possible (and he could even be one of the very few Erf units who go higher). Say for the sake of argument 10, and say artifact bonuses to favored units all work the same (they don't have to, but Wanda's are the only numbers we've got). That's a bonus of 1 to field archons, 5 to archons in his hex, which is to say the entire city he has to defend if attacked, and 10 to archons in his personal stack (though I expect he'd grind away his garrison rather than rushing to the fight). That's not bad.

Charlie doesn't use warlords, to the extent the Decrypted archons were unsure how to treat Parson, but clearly archons with the Leadership special are effectively commanders and warlords. Its unclear whether Charlie can designate a high level leadership archon as Chief Warlord, but if he can he should and almost certainly has. Fox Force Five would be a good place to park her, since from his standpoint there'd be little to choose between different mercenary jobs once she's leveled, so best to keep her home to defend and just use her bonus.

And thats the other thing we really don't know enough about, Fox Force Five. Are they just high level archons with the thinkamancy special? Archons old enough to have seen Charlie before his current turtling? Or something more?

Golems "gain bonuses when commanded by their creators or another of the same class" (Glossary) Limited forms of casting might possibly be an exception, but if the plain reading holds for archons as well as full casters then those 700 mostly cloth golems are eligible for another bonus that apparently stacks with regular leadership.

If all my hypothetical bonuses apply, Charlie's garrison starts to approach Parson-like levels of stacking bonus on bonus. And it is an if, but we know Charlie's always out for more power and more security, so whatever his exact defense plan is I assume its respectable, at least against normal Erworld opponents.

I have no strong preference on the question of leveled or level 1 garrison archons, but if they are leveled that adds another dimension of boni. More leveled archons gives you more archon stacks with dance-fighting in their own right. More multi-special archons who can lead a dance fight. (Dance-fighting stacks of cloth golems with leadership and caster bonus, even?) Any other combo effects we don't know about; Vinny Doombats wish-cast panel of dancing on Stanley's head with the archons throwing blasts might be a combo of dance + shockmancy for instance, unless I'm reading the art too literally. Could a lead stack of all dance-fighting, all foolamancy special archons do something similarly impressive?

it gives the bonuses that the leadership archons and the arkendish give. archons have a maximum leadership of 3 which is rare. charlie is able to give a plus 5 artifact bonus to any fight he uses thinkamancy-arkendish to direct. he does not use cw so wven though he can promote any unit to a w he doesn't. also do not try to use standard calculations and say that is the archons average level because archons have limited forms of specials and this includes limited leadership bonus. it would be 3+5+4df+3stack+10city bonus (if not more because the city has a lot of bonuses described as "muderous")+ regular stats of around 4 for low level and 14 for high level. so around 39 As a low estimation. remember that charlie has guns. also if tactical genius has a bonus i would put charlies at 4 and parsons at 5. so i would give charlescomm a 44 as a low estimate of the defenders stats. in wandas elite strike force, her top stack had a low of 30 and a high of 33. do the math. if charlie is pressured with gk attacking him he would certainly promote his top archon (lets say a level 10) to cw giving his troops a further 5 in hex and 7 in the stack(minus 3 for the stack leadership for the leadership she is replacing.) that is a low of 49 with a maximum i would place at 60
conmor

Postby conmor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:24 am

this has been me trying to answer every question every one of you have asked.
conmor

Postby wih » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:52 am

...you do realise when these threads are from, right?
wih

Postby drachefly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:32 pm

conmor wrote:dwagons are taken down by 1 or 2 volleys of arrows.

I see no evidence for this whatsoever, and quite a lot against it. If you have something you think supports this, provide it.

I don't mind necroing, but I do mind nonsense.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby conmor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:33 pm

in book 2 battle for spacerock, the people talking about hoping about the volley hitting a unit and talking about personnel arrow hitting a unit something that is not generally thought of. they refer to their volleys as their attack not the individual arrows. a dwagon takes more individual arrows to kill than an archon. in a volley a dwagon is likely to be hit with more arrows than an archon so it evens out. when talking about how many arrows it takes to kill a unit versues how likely it is for the unit to be hit, it makes sense to have their hp (in terms of how many attacks it takes to croak the unit) in terms of volleys.
conmor

Postby conmor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm

also in book 1 the dwagon trap with dwagons poking their heads down to attack people, one dragon was taken down by one volley of arrows by a led stack.
conmor

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Yes, in the Book 2 example the archers weren't encouraged to worry about their individual attacks. But, that doesn't mean they aren't there. Later in Book 2, after all, there was an archery warlord (whose name escapes me at the moment) that was definitely firing individual archery attacks.

As for the Book 1 example, weren't those dwagons already weakened by attacking heavies?
Godzfirefly

Postby Alpha the White » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:52 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:Yes, in the Book 2 example the archers weren't encouraged to worry about their individual attacks. But, that doesn't mean they aren't there. Later in Book 2, after all, there was an archery warlord (whose name escapes me at the moment) that was definitely firing individual archery attacks.

As for the Book 1 example, weren't those dwagons already weakened by attacking heavies?

No, the weakened dwagons were in the lake hex the dwagons in question were guarding.

However, the dwagon that fell only went down on the second wave, iirc there had already been a wave of elves through that hex, so they could have gotten some shots off.
Alpha the White

Postby drachefly » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 pm

Also, they were directly led by Ansom. Remember what Vinnie said about Caesar? That goes pretty much across the board for Ansom, since they're of similar level, except that these archers started much stronger than bats. So even if that did go down in one volley, that had a lot more to do with Ansom than with the archers.
drachefly

Postby Selexor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:47 am

On the subject of Charlescomm and Charlie...

Charlie is all about acquiring power and wealth, as we know. He wants to be powerful so he can be wealthy, so he can buy more power to attain more wealth, and the great circle of life goes on and on, amen. But in the middle of all this comes one very important fact.

Charlie knows about the Arkenshoes.

More to the point, he's only one of four living units in all of Erfworld who knows what happened at the fall of Haffaton. Every Haffaton and FAQ unit present when Judy used the Arkenshoes has since croaked, except for Jack (who technically did but now he's back, yadda yadda), Marie, Wanda and Jillian. Jillian had her memory carved out and erased as part of the Deal Of A Lifetime, the three FAQ casters were forbidden to act on the knowledge in any way even between themselves... which just leaves Charlie.

There's been speculation in the past that units in Erfworld are popped with the instinctive knowledge of the Arkentools, but that's not precisely true. Recall Jillian's reaction to the Arkenshoes when she first saw them - she had no idea what they were or what they did until they were described to her. Ditto the Arkenpliers, where nobody imagined that they possessed the ability to Decrypt croaked units. At least the 'Pliers were famous beforehand, but the 'Shoes were a complete unknown. So even if every unit in Erfworld knows there are Four Arkentools (and even that's not certain at this point), they may not know the form or function of any of them - just that they exist.
If we draw along that line of thought, then we have an Arkentool that only five living units in Erfworld have ever seen, one of whom no longer remembers, and three of whom are so strongly prevented from acting on that knowledge that they might as well not have it. Which leaves Charlie as, for all intents and purposes, the only unit in Erfworld with knowledge about the Arkenshoes.

Now, it's possible that the Deal Of The Century binds him in the same way that it bound all the other signatories. He had to hide his knowledge of FAQ and Haffaton the same way that they all had to hide their knowledge of Haffaton and Charlescomm; perhaps he, too, cannot act on the knowledge he possesses of the Arkenshoes. But then, even if the contract does bind him in the same way it binds the others (which is not proven), he's a (presumably) Master-Level Carnymancer rendered nigh-omnipotent by the Arkendish and its command of Thinkamancy. If anyone could find a loophole for that contract, it's him.
And if that's true, in the hundreds or thousands of turns since the Fall of Haffaton, Charlie has had the full might of Charlescomm to do as he pleases. And he knows the 'Shoes are out there, somewhere. So... what might happen if he finds them?
But of course that's just my opinion.
Selexor

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld