What was announced.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

What was announced.

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks to this tweet: http://twitter.com/LadyNerevar,

I guess we know what the big announcement is. Somebody besides Jaime will be doing the art. I can't help but think this is an enormous blow the comic and I have to see if it will recover.
"Act, and God will Act." - Joan of Arc

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Re: What was announced.

Postby doran » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Pessimistic, aren't we? She also mentioned the new artist will be the one who did the excellent Summer Updates 23 fanart.

Lady Nerevar's Twitter wrote:book 2: october 28th. 2 updates a week till then.

book 1 print contains 2 eppilogues, 5 new pages, and 1 completely world-changing page about parson in the magic
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby BCCroaker » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:51 pm

And a big thanks to the Lady.
BCCroaker
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby dholm » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:53 pm

I'll admit, I'm somewhat disappointed that Jamie won't be doing the comic anymore -- I loved his illustrations. But eldonnemar is also very skilled, so at least the successor is worthy. Congratulations to her!

Looking forward to seeing the comic return on the 28th.
--Dan Holm
dholm

Postby MarbitChow » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Based on the examples of the artwork in Elddonnemar's gallery, I'd wager that the comic is in good hands.
The summer updates have proven to me that, while a good artist is certainly a boon, it's the consistent writing that makes Erfworld what it is.

Jamie has done a fantastic job, but I would only despair if Rob was also announcing his retirement. :D
MarbitChow

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:25 pm

MarbitChow wrote:Based on the examples of the artwork in Elddonnemar's gallery, I'd wager that the comic is in good hands.
The summer updates have proven to me that, while a good artist is certainly a boon, it's the consistent writing that makes Erfworld what it is.

Jamie has done a fantastic job, but I would only despair if Rob was also announcing his retirement. :D

Comics are a product of ART and plot. I'm not saying its a lost cause, but its an enormous hurdle to overcome. Can an American football team overcome the loss of its quarterback? How much does a government change when a President dies or is incapacitated? Neither is completely irrevocable, but very concerning none the less.

"Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt." - Thomas Moore
Lord Kasavin

Postby CountCasimir » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Lord Kasavin wrote:
MarbitChow wrote:Based on the examples of the artwork in Elddonnemar's gallery, I'd wager that the comic is in good hands.

Comics are a product of ART and plot. I'm not saying its a lost cause, but its an enormous hurdle to overcome. Can an American football team overcome the loss of its quarterback? How much does a government change when a President dies or is incapacitated? Neither is completely irrevocable, but very concerning none the less.

Seems a little pessimistic, man. And to match your analogies, a football team can hire a NEW quarterback, and the Vice President becomes Pres--eldonnemar clearly does good enough work to be trusted by both Rob and Jamie.
CountCasimir

Postby Lord Kasavin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:50 pm

CountCasimir wrote:
Lord Kasavin wrote:

Seems a little pessimistic, man. And to match your analogies, a football team can hire a NEW quarterback, and the Vice President becomes Pres--eldonnemar clearly does good enough work to be trusted by both Rob and Jamie.

You clearly are not a Browns fan. If only replacing a quarterback could be done easily and without "hiccup." Yes, political administrations do continue past the top dog, but something of their essential character can change in the transition. For example, had Woodrow Wilson not had a stroke, America would probably have joined the League of Nations. Yes, I'm a pessimist when it comes to big changes. If Rob and Jamie's faith is not misplaced, I'll come around.

Lord Kasavin

Postby kin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:54 pm

So I haven't been here since the forum started, but I will say this.

The big names in comics regularly switch up artists/writers to new combos. Sometimes this tanks the comic, but more often than not, it is just as good (or better). It's a different flavor.

I've been following the mighty Angry Zen Master for a very long time now. Mr. Noguchi is the reason I started Erfworld lo those many moons ago. But Honestly? I've stayed because Rob's writing is so incapsulating, and I've been very impressed with the summer updates, art or not.

So I say cheers to Jamie, wherever he may go next, and cheers to Elddonnemar for stepping into a hefty shoe to fill.
+End Transmission+
kin

Postby carisbourg » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:05 pm

The best positive indication I'm looking at is that Eldonnemar is willing to put losts of little details in his picture that add character. This first one we get the Stanley icon on Zhopa's chest and all the other food in the pantry that they didn't take on the picnic. He shows the knife that the food was cut with, and shows that Sizemore and Maggie's interpretation of Stanley's ego mean he would want his logo everywhere, even kitchen tables. I am looking forward to his work.
carisbourg

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:51 am

it's worth noting that level of detail is overkill for most comic panels. i'd be willing to say the art will change. couldn't not change really. but that level of detail is unlikely except in full page updates. when you've gotta squeeze two of these things and a life out every week something gets cut. alot of detailled comics are once a week affairs.

there is alot more characters and species to keep on model in erfworld than your average webcomic.

i am saddened by jamie leaving. but that zhopa update was by a wide margin the best visual of them all. i'm interested where the potential new art direction is taken.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby doran » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:59 am

MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:07 am

that looks like book 2 art. no words. either way parson upset his toolship again.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Sixty » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:38 am

As someone who was at the party, that is indeed the first page of Book 2 minus the text. That or Balder was lying to us. He passed it around for us to see and said it was missing the text.
Sixty
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Menlo Marseilles » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:50 am

moose o death wrote:that looks like book 2 art. no words. either way parson upset his toolship again.
Parson, on the other hand, looks surprisingly unconcerned. Smug, even.

Boy does this page make me curious now.
and in despair i bowed my head
"there is no peace on erf," i said
for fate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on erf, good will to men
Menlo Marseilles

Postby Roketter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:51 am

Wow love it. The strategy room looks so detailed. If it's the work of the new artist, then the comic's in good hands ^ ^

I wonder what are they so upset about.. hmm...

Maggie's in it, so they either got a message from the front or Stanley's just asked Maggie to call PArson, wasting her talents on trivial messages like always :P

Oooor perhaps It's something Else. Maybe Stanley thinks it's time to do something. Or he wants Parson to explain why haven't the royals surrendered already ? Or Wanda's not sending hat reports anymore so he wants to send Parson to spy on them ? ? ? ? In any case he seems eager to put the blame on others ^ ^

OR MAYBE PARSON TOOK MAGGIE'S IDEAS AND NOW ONE OF THE ARCHONS IS DEAD!!!!! (EEEEEEK!!!!!!)
AND HIS TOOLSHIP WANTS TO KNOW WHY PARSON'S DESTROYING HIS UNITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------------------------------ :shock: :cry: :x :cry: :shock: ------------------------------------------

At least Wanda hasn't split into a new side yet, since her decrypted are guarding the door.

My guess: We'll have to wait for the last updates to have enough info to deduce what's going on. And it could still be something unexpected.
Last edited by Roketter on Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roketter

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:02 am

comically. after reading so many responses in reactions 44, that hobgobwin in the 4th panel looks like he's amusing himself.
moose o death

Postby Zebranky » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:40 am

As the person who uploaded/hosted the page... yes. :)

It is page 1 of book 2 *without the text*. I'm very impressed with the quality of the art, and while Jamie will be missed, Xin is quite excellent. :)
<RobTitan> If I were Parson, I would link a Florist with a Croakamancer just so I could play Plants vs Zombies as a LARP
Zebranky
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Roketter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:14 am

Well it's now on the main page so it's all oficial :P

The new page leaves me wondering one thing though....

Why hasn't Stanley been able to tame any Chinese Dwagons ? ? ? :D
Roketter

Postby Amplify » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:27 am

I was actually quite worried, as I highly dislike change and have very rarely seen an artist change that I was "happy" with, but if this is indeed an indicator of what is to come then my fears are greatly alleviated.
Amplify

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld