What was announced.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: What was announced.

Postby doran » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:53 pm

joosy wrote:<sigh>

Until I get used to it any posts from me will refer to the new artist as "not-Jamie" for now..

Why? Her name is Xin.
MarbitChow wrote: Don't you get it yet? WE ARE THE MAGIC KINGDOM.
We're the people sitting around discussing our pet theories based on nomenclature, citing references, discussing ad nauseum while Parson finds out how it works.
doran
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:00 pm

did rob actually say that was xin's work. the whole "public" reason for the guest updates was for jamie to get a headstart on pages for the next book. the page updates seemed to stop approximately when xin did her piece, so the conspiracy theorist in me is saying this is the reason for the extra month over what we were originally told and for the guest art updates stopping.

but jamie could have done the first few pages.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby joosy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:02 pm

doran wrote:
joosy wrote:<sigh>

Until I get used to it any posts from me will refer to the new artist as "not-Jamie" for now..

Why? Her name is Xin.

yes. Not-Jamie is also known as Xin. Until I get used to it, she is "not-Jamie'' to me.
joosy

Postby Welf von Ehrwald » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:06 pm

No Jamie in Erfworld... that is bad news. His artwork brought the units there to life and unlife. :cry:

It will be hard for elddonnemar to compete with that. But what I saw looks good. I'm intrigued.
I love uncroaked Dora. I love an anonymous friend even more.

Only one man has understood me, and even he has not!
Welf von Ehrwald

Postby Zebranky » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:07 pm

moose o death wrote:did rob actually say that was xin's work.

Yes.
<RobTitan> If I were Parson, I would link a Florist with a Croakamancer just so I could play Plants vs Zombies as a LARP
Zebranky
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Postby Emaria » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Wow if it takes 10 days to do a page and we only got updates once every couple weeks, I would be sad. Definatly would continue to read the comic, but it wouldn't be as much fun. Personally, I only stop reading a webcomic if I lose interest. But it might become like megatokyo, where the updates take so long that I forget wtf is going on in the plot (those strips are never very meaty either, I'm about to "lose interest" in it).
Emaria
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Lady Nerevar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Emaria wrote:Wow if it takes 10 days to do a page and we only got updates once every couple weeks, I would be sad. Definatly would continue to read the comic, but it wouldn't be as much fun. Personally, I only stop reading a webcomic if I lose interest. But it might become like megatokyo, where the updates take so long that I forget wtf is going on in the plot (those strips are never very meaty either, I'm about to "lose interest" in it).

read the news guys.

updates twice a week.

how would one do such a thing? well, different pieces of art take different amounts of time. Xin was not hired at the time she was doing the guest artwork, so she could have been trying to do a really good job and impress rob. likewise, the perspective in that piece looks to be quite a challenge, and working with a limited color palette (sepiatone) is also a pain in the butt. ive seen her draw first hand: she sketches accurately and at great speed. Likewise, this image (rated at 30 hours) is a completely different beast than a page of comics. furthermore, Rob stated that the book will be done in volumes of 25 comics separated by written entries, giving Xin time to catch up if needed.

also, "10 days on and off" does not mean 240 hours of work.

now, what i did see is that Jaime and Xin work in completely different ways. Jaime lays down a couple loose shapes in pencil and then does everything in pen from there on. Xin (at least at the party) sketched everything out in pencil and used more lines than jaime. their sketches are very recognizably theirs. the book art follows jaime's style at the end of the book perfectly, but its a rendered a bit differently and has other subtle flavors indicative of her personal style. the transition will be smooth, some readers may not even notice it (see the style difference between the start and end of the comic).
Lady Nerevar

Postby Furousha » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:50 pm

Ugh. This is one of the things I really don’t like about the internet. No Patience. Some of y’all need to calm down a little… it’s not the end of the world.

First of all, for everyone that is latching on to one line on Xin's DeviantArt page, let me put it this way, she was doing free work at the time, and it was a huge splash page. 1 - splash pages are a lot more time consuming than small cells, especially when you consider the level of detail in the splash page, and the fact that 8 out of 10 cells in a strip usually have 1-3 characters in them, and limited room for other details. 2 - free work doesn't pay the bills. I think that drawing the cell in question, while at the same time, say WORKING 8 hours a day at a real, pay the bills, kinda job is actually highly impressive.

And, perhaps more importantly, everyone who is jumping all over Xin saying "She better be able to keep up" did you just start reading Erfworld a week ago? don't you remember WHY the summer updates were started in the first place? (which i remember lots of people complaining about when they started, BTW) did you forget that they were started because JAMIE wasn't able to keep up in the first place?

I'm not knocking Jamie in any way, if the inspiration isn't there, it isn't there, you cant force it. but everyone seems to have conveniently forgot that Jamie was having a lot of trouble keeping up with the pace in the first place. So I really don't understand why you'd assume that if the artist hadn't changed we'd be getting regular bi-weekly updates, there were no indications of that being the case at all.

So why don't we all chill out, and display something that may not exist anymore on the internet... patience. Take deep breaths... everything's gonna be ok, Xin is a great artist, the comic is in fine hands. I don't want to diminish anything Jamie's done in any way, but if these summer updates have shown us anything, it's that Rob is what makes Erfworld what it is. If they start talking about replacing Rob then I'll get worried.

In the meantime, why don't we all just back off and keep an open mind and give Xin a friendly welcome, K?
Last edited by Furousha on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furousha

Postby Graydon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Furousha wrote:In the meantime, why dont we all just back off and keep an open mind and give Xin a friendly welcome, K?

Hear, hear!

All this bowel-knotting fear of getting a different kind of high-quality free beer is most unseemly.
Graydon

Postby SteveMB » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Judging from the Book 2 page 1 print and the sketches I saw (including the one I got -- Jamie drawing Jack with a with a wistful "crush" expression and Xin drawing Jillian just going about her business putting on a glove), I'm looking forward optimistically to her work on Book 2.
Is this a real holy war, or just a bunch of deluded boopholes croaking each other?
SteveMB
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Elhoim » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:04 pm

I gotta say the new art is really beautiful. Xin is a great artist and I'm sure the comic is in good hands.
Elhoim

Postby AstralFire » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:31 pm

I want to reiterate that we should be giving a friendly welcome. There are a few high quality webcomics out there with fandoms that have garnered a reputation for being highly critical - let's not make this another one.

I think the line that jarred me most was that she is 'not-Jamie.' As if she was depersonalized and not worthy of a name until she's proven herself. :\

In addition to everything else cited in her favor, Rob Balder is NOT a newbie to the webcomic business. He's more likely than not to know how to pick 'em. Have some faith in the new team.
Up the Ante.

A webcomic by AstralFire and Domochevsky.
AstralFire

Postby Lady Nerevar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 pm

i'll echo the warm welcome :D you're awesome from what ive seen of you, and im sure you'll do a fantastic job. i'd hang the sketch on the wall, but, um, im the one that rule 34'd the place XD
Lady Nerevar

Postby Sixty » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:49 am

I feel dumb, I completely forgot to welcome Xin to her new position of Titan in my first post in this topic. I like what I've seen of her work and I'm sure she'll be an excellent artist for Erfworld.
Sixty

Postby Steve-D » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:48 am

raphfrk wrote:Also, it is clear that book 2 is starting with some kind of disaster for GK.

The first panel looks like Stanley is looking at something. I wonder if it is a sneak attack on GK by the RCC, i.e. launch a decapitation strike on GK before they launch one on you.

Alternatively, he might be looking at lots of injured dwagons, if the RCC attacked the dwagon relay.

Maybe, maybe not.

Stanley looking pissed isn't exactly unusual lately. :)

Maggie seems to be conducting a thinkagram though.
Steve-D

Postby moose o death » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:09 am

stanley needs to keep taking extended holidays. wanda needs a good crushing defeat. then erfworld will be back to normal enough to be enjoyable. stanley being furious just reminds most of us of bad bosses, and wanda steamrolling all in her path is not worth reading about.

but i'm sure rob has something to make sure those things don't become problems. he's a better writer than me.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Secret » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:00 pm

If all of book 2 is as good as the first page preview there then I think everything will end up being ok.
I am confused about one thing though, I don't remember where but at one point I remember reading that the summer updates where made at least partially so Jamie could get a head start on book 2............so was that not true?

Well whatever I do look forward to seeing how Xin does with book 2.
Good luck Xin! Don't fuck this up or we'll kill you!(no pressure) ^_^
"I only exist inside those people aware of my existence." -Lain
Secret
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby gambrinus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:14 am

The sample of the new artwork looks great. There are legitimate concerns about a change in artist but the obvious quality of the first page goes a long way to mollifying me. I'll definitely give Xin a chance. Besides, haven't the summer updates shown that the comic can keep the quality up even without a, er, comic?
gambrinus

Postby Saela » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Hello! I've been lurking for over a year now, and I somehow even managed to avoid making my first post on summer update 44. Posting here seems important though, so..

I agree with Furousha completely. It hardly seems fair to criticize Xin at this point, for any reason. I personally am rather excited by this change, and I'm confident she'll do a great job.

Even if there were to be some kind of adjustment period, or the occasional missed update, so what? Jamie's art evolved consistently throughout all of book one. We've also been through missed updates before, and the comic survived just fine. It seems very unfair to both assume that Xin will cause problems, and to assume that those problems will somehow be worse than they were just a few months back.

At any rate, welcome Xin! More importantly, thank you :)
Saela
I am a Tool!
I am a Tool!

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld