What was announced.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: What was announced.

Postby Emaria » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 am

I'm not disappointed by the switch. Jamie's art was great but it looks like eldonnemar's is quite excellent. I can't wait to see more of the new style.
Emaria

Postby sentientcheese » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:47 am

To Alleviate Fears:

Having been at the party, i can say with one hundred percent certainty, we are in good hands with our new artist. besides, we all know what she looks like now. she has no choice but to be awesome!
Once is an accident,
the second time, a mere coincidence
The third time is enemy action
sentientcheese

Postby gaiaswill » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:18 am

Promising 1st page.

But I'll withhold judgement until I see Wanda. ;)
gaiaswill
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet Supporter!

Postby raphfrk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:26 am

gaiaswill wrote:Promising 1st page.

I wonder if this was part of the reason for having guest art during the summer, as a sort of audition.

The example first page seems to have returned to standard Erf proportions. The summer update has the twoll having proportions similar to Earth.

Also, it is clear that book 2 is starting with some kind of disaster for GK.

The first panel looks like Stanley is looking at something. I wonder if it is a sneak attack on GK by the RCC, i.e. launch a decapitation strike on GK before they launch one on you.

Alternatively, he might be looking at lots of injured dwagons, if the RCC attacked the dwagon relay.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Beholden » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:46 am

As much as anyone can be saddened by the loss of Jamie, and it is a loss make no bones about it, I'm looking forward to elddonnemar's contributions. You've got 25 issues to prove yourself elddonemears otherwise you're going to have the wolves at the door!

Anyone else notice Stanley has his guards on the opposite side of the door? Not total trust in Wanda then :D
Beholden

Postby raphfrk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:04 am

Btw, just noticed, the Arkenhammer is not a rendered 3d image in the example page. I guess those models are no longer available.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Justyn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:11 am

raphfrk wrote:I wonder if this was part of the reason for having guest art during the summer, as a sort of audition.

The example first page seems to have returned to standard Erf proportions. The summer update has the twoll having proportions similar to Earth.

Well, Jamie said that part of going from cartoony to comparatively more realistic art was as a result of him getting more used to the characters. (He said it yesterday at the party, and I read it in the IRC, so before you ask: no, I can't provide a quote.)

raphfrk wrote:Btw, just noticed, the Arkenhammer is not a rendered 3d image in the example page. I guess those models are no longer available.

Uh, yeah, it is actually, it's just that the picture of the page on paper is low resolution.
If I am acting as a mod, you will know it.
Justyn
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby moose o death » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:47 am

yes and it doesn't have a backlight to add the glitter to it. this whole paper thing is very lowtech.
http://moosetech.blogspot.com/ my video game art. in easy to read blog form. swing on by. laugh at my spelling.
moose o death

Postby Roketter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:36 am

raphfrk wrote:
gaiaswill wrote:Promising 1st page.

I wonder if this was part of the reason for having guest art during the summer, as a sort of audition.

Also, it is clear that book 2 is starting with some kind of disaster for GK.

The first panel looks like Stanley is looking at something. I wonder if it is a sneak attack on GK by the RCC, i.e. launch a decapitation strike on GK before they launch one on you.

Alternatively, he might be looking at lots of injured dwagons, if the RCC attacked the dwagon relay.

Stanley's only understanding of human resources is to yell at people until they fix the problem... Likely something's not going acording to plan so he's looking for someone to yell at. Funny tough, if he used his hammer to "Rock out" periodically, he could have all his subordinates with full loyalty instantly. They'd worship him like a god :P
Roketter

Postby ManoftheSea » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:47 am

The character models changing is also a form of natural signamancy. We can determine much of their character from the way they appear.

The clothes make the Wanda
ManoftheSea

Postby Lady Nerevar » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:05 am

gaiaswill wrote:

you'll get a sketch of her as soon as my parents leave and i upload images from the party :P

also, thanks to everyone with putting up with my horrible spelling :P i got there rather late and was tweeting as fast as my little fingers can type, but i undoubtably missed something (but its OK now, since the news are up).

i'll echo the comments on the new art being awesome. i'll post more about this and other things later.
Lady Nerevar

Postby Sindae » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Although her art is indeed impressive, I really wonder if Xin can keep up with the update schedule. If you look on her dA account, she mentioned that the summer update single panel image she did took her 10 days! On and off, but still even if she tones down the detail I wonder if she can manage 2 a week. Not only that, but this image apparently took her 30 hours of work, and it's not even finished.

I don't mean to criticize her, because I think she certainly has the talent, but I'd rather not have Erfworld go into the random, maybe once a week, update schedule some other webcomics have.
Sindae

Postby kwotski » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Wowee! I was really quite sorry to hear of Jamie's leaving erfworld, because the art was such a major part of what made book 1 so great (and I do think it is really great - a true classic!)

But I think that sample shows the new artist is very much up to the task, and I now have the highest hopes for book 2. Thanks for posting!
kwotski

Postby MarbitChow » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Sindae wrote:Although her art is indeed impressive, I really wonder if Xin can keep up with the update schedule. If you look on her dA account, she mentioned that the summer update single panel image she did took her 10 days! On and off, but still even if she tones down the detail I wonder if she can manage 2 a week. Not only that, but this image apparently took her 30 hours of work, and it's not even finished.

People often put more effort into stuff that they do for fun (or for an audition) then in their day-to-day work.
The pages themselves (based on the single screen shot so far) still look great, but aren't as detailed as the single panel image in general.
In addition, Rob mentions that between every 25 page issue, they'll switch to text updates, so site content can continue even if the Xin is unavailable.

Worst case, you're stuck chatting with us in here until the next update. :D
Equilateratoria is now underway. New players are welcome to join at any time! (Rules)
MarbitChow

Postby Sindae » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:45 pm

MarbitChow wrote:
People often put more effort into stuff that they do for fun (or for an audition) then in their day-to-day work.
The pages themselves (based on the single screen shot so far) still look great, but aren't as detailed as the single panel image in general.
In addition, Rob mentions that between every 25 page issue, they'll switch to text updates, so site content can continue even if the Xin is unavailable.

Worst case, you're stuck chatting with us in here until the next update. :D

Oh, it definitely looks great, but for all we know it took her two weeks to draw that. I hope she can do it, and I'm not saying she can't, I'm just worried. Irregular updates can kill a webcomic.

And given the alternative of talking to you guys, I really hope she can do it. :P
Sindae

Postby Anca » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Is that a fire flower along the wall in the war room? /random

I hadn't seen this image before. I'm impressed~.
Anca

Postby AstralFire » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:58 pm

The art looks good. As artist transitions go, this is definitely one of the smoother ones.
Up the Ante.

A webcomic by AstralFire and Domochevsky.
AstralFire

Postby Thydron » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:58 pm

I think it would be cool if instead of this episodes idea, that we could have one larger panel a day, with a small paragraph or two of text.
I'd be really interested to see if anyone could that to the book one archive.
Thydron
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

New Artist ...

Postby Roszlishan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:12 pm

It's probably a good thing, overall, however sad I am to see Jamie depart.

Rob is right, in that it will change Erfworld significantly. The artist's vision acts as an immediate and very powerful feedback to the writer in a writer/artist combination: the effect ranges from the subtle to the hit-one-over-the-head-with-the-Arkenhammer. And that is even when the artist has no direct script input - a situation I doubt very much will be the case.

Happiness,
Roszlishan
Roszlishan
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby joosy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:47 pm

<sigh>

Until I get used to it any posts from me will refer to the new artist as "not-Jamie" for now..
joosy

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else Erfworld