Sorry, can't stab things tonight, got tickets to the play

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Sorry, can't stab things tonight, got tickets to the play

Postby Crarites » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:45 am

Has anyone given thought to what happens when GK begins to use the "city" as something more then just a facade. Its something I've been curious for a while and Parson seems to be curious as well. Whats the point in the empty buildings? Why have an empty vault? Why have an empty slaughterhouse? Or the ice delivered? Do these things exist merely so someone can look at them each turn for a production bonus? The obvious next question is what happens if they are actually used for their intended purpose?

From the last update Parson seems to slowly be trying to make the city be more like what he expects the city to be. So what happens when a play is performed at the auditorium? Or the money stored in the vault? Erfworlders have little experience it seems other then war and are lacking in ways to experience anything other then war. No arts? No education? No sports? No science?

Some of the answers that came to me where initially

plays and performances raising moral and or duty and or loyalty.
Vaulting creating interest on investment.
Slaughterhouse providing enhanced rations.

But the interesting part is that these activities would by nessecity require a unit type that could only be defined as workers, which would in turn create essentially citizens with possibly a mayor acting in the role of warlord. I guess what interests me about this situation is that it represents(at least to me) the most radical potential change in the story line.
Crarites

Re: Sorry, can't stab things tonight, got tickets to the play

Postby raphfrk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 am

Crarites wrote:But the interesting part is that these activities would by nessecity require a unit type that could only be defined as workers, which would in turn create essentially citizens with possibly a mayor acting in the role of warlord. I guess what interests me about this situation is that it represents(at least to me) the most radical potential change in the story line.

I wonder if there is a basic unit that can be popped by cities. However, nobody every pops them as they are "useless". If you pop one, you have to immediately pay to upgrade the unit so that it can fight.

Also, I wonder how unit pop selection is handled. Is it a menu, or does the Ruler have to know that the unit type exists.
raphfrk
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby joosy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 am

so far, it seems that the buildings provide bonuses regardless of their actually being used or not.

The animals appear on the farm, get fatter for a few turns then they pop out of existence and food related to each animal appears in the larder of the capitol and to some degree the other cities. Same for agriculture - things grow and then disappear and then prepared foods from each type of agriculture appears in the larders. When Parson peeks in each building then the production of each building improves. (he even muses if that makes the building more productive or just dooms more animals out on some remote farm)

However, actually hauling the animals all the way to the capitol, killing and dressing and then processing them, disposing of offal, etc, would take a lot of resources and a lot of manpower. We have seen Jillian kill and dress game in the field (and in the reflecting pool) so we know that manual preparation is possible. Even though it is POSSIBLE, its doesn't appear to be done for simplicity's sake. The Erfworld way is much cleaner and neater. Also.. what advantage would that give to a city? Where would they get these extra animals and why wouldn't they just pop on their own into the larder? Too many questions which I believe is overthinking the concept.

Parson is a city kid who worked at Kinko's and lived of off fast food. I don't think he'll be too keen on the messy process of animal slaughter. I would see him talking to the twolls to fabricate a Big Mac before he introduces an abattoir into the mix. He may use the ampitheater just for amusements sake, but I don't think that will affect the overall morale. I also don't think they have any actual physical money from what we've seen. We've seen mention of treasuries being converted to gems for travel and that an Overlord cannot 'take the treasury with him' if the capitol falls. Also, most units other than Royalty don't have any need for money and their only possessions are their armor and weapons and field gear which they appear to be able to collapse and carry on them. They are paid in rations and upkeep. Ergo, the concept of a bank to actually store things for an individual would require some other major changes in Erfworld society.

I also don't think Rob would dwell much on this anyway unless it added to the story in some fashion. I think the whole point of the mention of these buildings was to show that this world is a game-based world and the cities function much like Civilization, Rome, and other sim games.
Last edited by joosy on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
joosy

Postby AstralFire » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Food production no, but I could see events that were set-up solely to provide amusement, like a play or something. We're running out of time for this in the 2009 Summer Updates, but a similar set of updates for the next book could do something like that.
Up the Ante.

A webcomic by AstralFire and Domochevsky.
AstralFire

Return to Everything Else Erfworld