Your Job in Erfworld

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Your Job in Erfworld

Postby CarniDollMancer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 pm

If this is a repost, I apologize. I also do not care if it is. Reposts should not be offensive, and anyone who thinks it is one, will live.

Moving on, I want to know what people think their work would translate to in Erfworld. This is not what you want to be or what you would be suited to. This is a direct translation of your CURRENT and actual job into the rules of Erfworld.

For example:

I make Properties and Furniture, etc. for Theatre. This is my actual job. I make pretty much anything asked for out of pretty much whatever I can find. As a result, I am obviously at least partly Dollamancer (accessories, modifications, creation with existing objects) with a nice smattering of abilities in Carnymancy (Theatre). Not necessarily my first choice, but knowing what we know now about Dollamancers, there are endless possibilities to what could be done combining it with Carnymancy (especially since we know approximately nothing of what those casters can do).

I like my Erfworld job. What is yours?
"To have talent is to be in demand, I well know... The talent itself supplies the demand." - The late, great Jack Snipe the Fool(amancer)
CarniDollMancer

Re: Your Job in Erfworld

Postby TokraZeno » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Currently, I'm a lifeguard which I guess the closest erf version would be saving from incapacitation? That would be Healomancer.

But I'm a student studying chemical engineering, which would be a Stuffamancy and Changemancy sounds most suitable but we haven't heard anything about them yet.
TokraZeno

Postby ftl » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:13 am

We're mostly cogs in a large capitalism machine.

I bet that we're all basic infantry who dream of being casters.
ftl
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 am

We're not required to do a 1:1 map - it's not mapping the whole society, it's just mapping you.

So, I guess I'd be a dirtamancer cross-casting as thinkamancer and mathamancer.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Doctor Foreman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:26 pm

At the moment I'm working as a travel agent. In terms of the magical disciplines, that might put me somewhere between a Findamancer or a Lookamancer.

I do however aspire to be a professional actor, which may fall under Signamancy.
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby cloudbreaker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:29 pm

I work in food production, so I guess I would be a unit who goes out and forages for food or harvests other units.
Bored? Read The Adventured of Melissa Ray. An Erfworld fanfic. comment here

Or A Tale From Traz. (Now complete!). comment here.
cloudbreaker

Postby Finn MacCool » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 pm

programmer - that's partially mathamancy, but what else?
Finn MacCool

Postby Doctor Foreman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Finn MacCool wrote:programmer - that's partially mathamancy, but what else?

Though we have little evidence to go on, I think a decent argument could be made for Signamancy as well (as my guess is Signamancy encapsulates Language).
"If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless." - Hemingway
Doctor Foreman

Postby MarbitChow » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Finn MacCool wrote:programmer - that's partially mathamancy, but what else?
With all the crap we deal with, I'd assumed we'd be Dirtamancers, honestly.
MarbitChow

Postby wih » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Programming creates tools that people use to do things. I'd say that programming would come under some kind of Stuffamancy. Mathamancy would definitely be another option tho.
On the other side, I'd speculate that Testing would fall under Signamancy, as it is figuring out how things actually work and could be used to do, despite whatever they're expected to do or be used for.
wih

Postby Shai_hulud » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 pm

wih wrote:On the other side, I'd speculate that Testing would fall under Signamancy, as it is figuring out how things actually work and could be used to do, despite whatever they're expected to do or be used for.
Except the only thing we've ever seen signamancers do is arts and crafts. =/
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby wih » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:42 am

Shai_hulud wrote:
wih wrote:On the other side, I'd speculate that Testing would fall under Signamancy, as it is figuring out how things actually work and could be used to do, despite whatever they're expected to do or be used for.
Except the only thing we've ever seen signamancers do is arts and crafts. =/

Arts and crafts is more dollamancy. As far as Signamancy being the investigation of reality, I'll point to the speculation about Parson being a Signamancer, and all of his activities, especially in the Summer Updates.
wih

Postby Zippy the Squirrel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Hmm... I would be a ... production outfit for hire, I'd say. A small, secluded Side that specializes in cheaply producing or reselling units or equipment that other sides can't afford or don't have the ability to produce on their own, and loaning, selling, or financing these specialty units. Mercenary, in other words.
Zippy the Squirrel
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:15 pm

I'm going to say a type of caster :ugeek: I'm a programmer in my first year of masters and I'm trying to find a job, again, in research so it would be:

Programming, in general it is done to help people achieve their work faster,better, open up new oppportunites with software tools this sound to me like what Thinkamancers do with caster link-up ( 3 or 2 version).

On the other hand I've created programms for a loot of different uses, it doesn't feel right to group them all under the generic "improve performance" label the discipline which covers enough ground for everithing would be the very stretcheable carnymancy so Carnymancer.

For the research part I think that would be a general caster thing.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby TokraZeno » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:04 am

ftl wrote:We're mostly cogs in a large capitalism machine.

I bet that we're all basic infantry who dream of being casters.

Casters might be a bit over the top but Specials are what make erfworld units unique and Mancy's are the easiest way of expressing it. My two from earlier could be simplified to
a healing special (which hasn't been named yet so leaving it at that) and Fabrication respectively.
TokraZeno

Postby GhostBustier » Wed May 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Let's see... I do document control and graphic design. I somehow doubt that there is some pencil-pusher in Erfworld who writes down and reviews manuals for everything so maybe that part is moot. I'd say the design part falls under signamancy easily though - someone who can help new sides or sides looking for a new look come up with fresh new livery?
GhostBustier

Postby LTDave » Wed May 01, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm a Salvation Army Officer, so I guess some kind of heal-o-mancy special, since I mostly counsel people in distress and provide for basic needs.

I think the programmers are more likely to be closely related to turnamancy, since they get things to move (or move quicker, ideally).
LTDave

Postby Tarvok » Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 pm

I'd probably be a signamancer, with some level of ability with flower power, particularly poisoning. Though my preferred activity would be arguing with other casters about the importance of integrity of words and symbols with regard to the concepts they represent, I'd likely be primarily used for making poison traps that guard the barriers between hexes wherever needed, particularly at city walls.

IRL, I do pest control for a living, but have been known to argue about matters of state policy, constantly frustrated about how difficult the corruption of language makes it to get concepts across.
Tarvok

Postby Lipkin » Fri May 17, 2013 2:17 am

Tarvok wrote:IRL, I do pest control for a living, but have been known to argue about matters of state policy, constantly frustrated about how difficult the corruption of language makes it to get concepts across.

Possible a low level Shockmancer...

Anyway, I'm an improv theater performer, technician, and stage manager. As it doesn't involve hats or rhyming, and is clearly Stagemancy, I'm shoehorned into Carnymancy.
Lipkin

Postby Nueamin » Fri May 17, 2013 2:30 pm

I think I would have to be one of those warlords who is managing a city. No not one of those cool retired warlords in Transylvito. More like one of those annoying bureacrat type warlords from old FAQ. Mid level management isn't exactly glamorous.
Nueamin
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld