Charlie is based on Foundation's Mule

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Charlie is based on Foundation's Mule

Postby gobe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm

I don't know if anyone has made this prediction before, but here it goes: Charlie's character is based on the Mule from Asimov's Foundation series.

Common features:
- Charlie performs mind control on a large scale (though quite differently)
- Charlie is powerful, much more than people imagine he is
- Charlie is elusive, avoids being seen at all cost, and keeps his appearance and location a secret
- Charlie has devoted followers that do not question him and follow him blindly
- Charlie has had a period of expansion (desired at least) followed by a period of consolidation, during which he attempts to find the enemy that could put an end to him
- Charlie has paid "a great cost to his life" to get where he is, similarly to the Mule who is malformed and infertile
- Charlie is a carnymancer, the Mule was a clown
- The GMTTA are sort of like the second Foundation: other people with similar but more limited mental abilities, although they are not really what Charlie seems to be after the most

Prediction (in case it's true!):
- Charlie will be revealed to be a well-known character of the story, and he will be identified and revealed due to some (possibly emotional) weakness

This is not a new prediction, but I am putting it in a new light (I think).

Sorry if this was brought up before, I did a search in the forums and didn't really find anything about Charlie being like the Mule.

What do you think?
gobe

Re: Charlie is based on Foundation's Mule

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 pm

I had kinda toyed with the possibility that Charlie has been seen, but not recognized by anyone. I was fond of thinking he was JoJo for a few moments until I remembered JoJo was an Unaroyal caster. Then again, he could still be both, using Carnymancy to 'bend the rules' so that he can be both a Ruler and a unit that belongs to another side.

Seems kind of unlikely though, since TGMTTA would likely have ferreted him out (even with the dish, or perhaps moreso because of it). Same reasoning goes to most casters that have been to MK. Of course, he could be pretending to be a non-caster, but there really aren't many options there since GK has virtually 0 living prominent units at the moment. There is Maggie, Sizemore, Wanda, Stanley, Parson, and Zhopa. We can fairly soundly eliminate all of those as possibilities. We can also eliminate all JS units, as they're either dead, not prominent, or fairly certainly not Charlie. Other than that, we only have a couple of other known characters. He might be one of the random Carnymancers that we've seen running around, posing as a Barbarian or belonging to another side (maybe his carnymancy lets him rig which portal he comes and goes from?), but it is hard to believe that TGMTTA wouldn't have been able to figure out something like that.

My prediction is that he'll be more along the lines of Mr. House from Fallout: New Vegas.

I do enjoy the idea of him posing as a Carnymancer or one of the other Casters running around MK, and with the dish he may well be able to avoid detection, so that'd be cool.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:09 pm

So, where's Gaia?
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Wasn't the Mule also infertile? And Charlie already has had at least one child.

drachefly wrote:So, where's Gaia?

Only the Hippiemancers know that.
mortissimus

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:21 pm

That was before he got poisoned and ended up how he is now. Before that he was the Wizard of Oz. Also, given how Erfworld works, being someone's child is.... questionable.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby randint » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:29 pm

It's an interesting theory (especially being a Foundation fan).

I just have one issue with it - so far, we've seen that the Tool users have to carry their Tool with them, and there's no evidence (as far as I know) that the effect of a Tool sticks with the attuned user over vast distances (i.e. Wanda hasn't been seen able to decrypt units while her Arkenpliers are sitting in GK)

But we've seen a picture of Charlescomm's capitol, and the Arkendish is sitting there. So, as far as I know, the only way Charlie would be able to use its powers (as he constantly does) is to stay in the tower, in near-constant contact with his Tool.

Edit: This just means that he's likely not one of the characters we've met already. But there's other ways he could still be based on the Mule.

Anyway, just my two cents.
What Parson's slogan should have been: "We break things. Sometimes that even works."
randint

Return to Everything Else Erfworld