Citation Format in Wiki

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Citation Format in Wiki

Postby No one in particular » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 pm

In catching up on wiki-work (panel framing, adding category tags, etc), I got to thinking about how things are (or should be...) cited in articles.

The current standard is to have a small link near the top of the line after a relevant claim, linking directly to wherever. However, since a lot of the links are kind of long (IPTSF Text XX or Summer Intermission XX), it really breaks up the flow of the text.

I've fiddled with the articles for Faq (side) and Charlescomm, and moved the citations to the bottom of the page, with little reference numbers linking claims/facts to citations.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Does it make for a better, less jagged wiki experience?
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Re: Citation Format in Wiki

Postby Lilwik » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 pm

I like it. I think it could be even better if multiple uses of the same page as a citation could be given the same number to reduce the length and repetition in the citations list. The citations could be simplified even further if they only cited a page rather than a specific panel within the page. Hunting for the relevant bit within the page wouldn't be troublesome, and a single panel rarely provides enough context to properly understand what's happening.
Lilwik

Postby No one in particular » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 pm

Well, there's being efficient and there's being thorough. I, personally, don't mind giving each each citation its own listing.

I'm willing to bow to popular opinion, if enough people express an opinion. :p
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby WaterMonkey314 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:25 pm

Lilwik wrote:I like it. I think it could be even better if multiple uses of the same page as a citation could be given the same number to reduce the length and repetition in the citations list. The citations could be simplified even further if they only cited a page rather than a specific panel within the page. Hunting for the relevant bit within the page wouldn't be troublesome, and a single panel rarely provides enough context to properly understand what's happening.

I don't mind letting authors choose which format to give, but I would oppose deleting panel-specific references. I think panel references are useful, particularly if you're trying to point out specifics in the detailed backgrounds of Xin's art.
WaterMonkey314

Postby Lilwik » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:27 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:I think panel references are useful, particularly if you're trying to point out specifics in the detailed backgrounds of Xin's art.
Yes, for citing subtle background details of a panel I agree that the panel-specific references are useful.
Lilwik

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:27 am

I agree that using both within context is best. Too bad I am terrible at wiki formatting...
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld