The text updates really cut into the regular comic

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The text updates really cut into the regular comic

Postby Ruttiger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 am

I just re-read the second book using the archive (I.E. couldn't see any of the text updates). I gotta say, the text updates aren't doing anything for the main story, though they are telling as much about the story and Erfworld itself in their own right. Maybe it was the slow update schedule during book 2 but the urgency of the situation in the magic kingdom, the urgency of the battle in general was kinda lost in the fact that we read what amounts to maybe an hour of events over the course of a year or two of release time.

Its kind of a shame. Erfworld speak to me of the quality that could easily survive in the monthly comic release world just as easily as the best Vertigo titles that I love.
Ruttiger

Re: The text updates really cut into the regular comic

Postby mortissimus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:00 am

Ruttiger wrote:I just re-read the second book using the archive (I.E. couldn't see any of the text updates). I gotta say, the text updates aren't doing anything for the main story, though they are telling as much about the story and Erfworld itself in their own right.

I think it has been stated that that is on purpose. They are essentially fillers which Rob can produce on his own when comic production has been slow for one reason or another, but since it is a comic Rob didn't want to make them necessary for reading the comic.
mortissimus

Postby drachefly » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 am

Ruttiger wrote:we read what amounts to maybe an hour of events over the course of a year or two of release time.

I think it was a bit longer than that. Probably not worse than Grace's birthday party.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:31 am

The main difference between the two being that Grace's party left the characters questioning their own sexuality, where as Erfworld2 left everyone else questioning Charlie and Trem's.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 am

mortissimus wrote:I think it has been stated that that is on purpose. They are essentially fillers which Rob can produce on his own when comic production has been slow for one reason or another, but since it is a comic Rob didn't want to make them necessary for reading the comic.
They definitely were not fillers. Rob stated from the very beginning (Text updates have been around since before Xin's troubles) that they were there as extra details and info very curious fans could read to learn more about the world/mechanics/characters, but that reading them was not necessary to understand the comic story on a casual level.
So basically, if the OP feels they offer nothing valuable, then he shouldn't bother reading them...but don't imply that they're useless.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby mortissimus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:29 pm

0beron wrote:Rob stated from the very beginning (Text updates have been around since before Xin's troubles) that they were there as extra details and info very curious fans could read to learn more about the world/mechanics/characters, but that reading them was not necessary to understand the comic story on a casual level.

Yes, that is what I meant by fillers.
mortissimus

Postby Eji1700 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:22 am

0beron wrote:
mortissimus wrote:I think it has been stated that that is on purpose. They are essentially fillers which Rob can produce on his own when comic production has been slow for one reason or another, but since it is a comic Rob didn't want to make them necessary for reading the comic.
They definitely were not fillers. Rob stated from the very beginning (Text updates have been around since before Xin's troubles) that they were there as extra details and info very curious fans could read to learn more about the world/mechanics/characters, but that reading them was not necessary to understand the comic story on a casual level.
So basically, if the OP feels they offer nothing valuable, then he shouldn't bother reading them...but don't imply that they're useless.

My only issue with this is that as someone who was reading the comic itself casually, and skipping most of the text updates, at some point I felt i really didn't understand what was going on in the comic. I can't exactly tell you when it was, but there were multiple references to things that were only revealed in text updates, which eventually led me to the wiki to fill myself in(i do plan on eventually reading all of it, but it's just not something I feel compelled to do at the moment).

I don't really mind the alternating updates, and understand why it's been a part of this process, but at the same time I think it's past the point where you can just read the comic and not feel very out of the loop.
Eji1700

Postby jbevermore » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:52 pm

I think even Rob would agree with this. Erfworld has been a fantastic webcomic continuously hamstrung by art issues (and by that I mean consistency. The quality has always been top notch).

I really hope that the new artist can hang in there and deliver regular updates. I adore Xin's work, but her departure has really hurt this comic.
jbevermore

Return to Everything Else Erfworld