Speculations: What is the Jester?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Speculations: What is the Jester?

Postby bladestorm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Starting a separate thread so that we can site our references and make our arguments spanning multiple updates. I may even aggregate the possibilities once we have enough sources and I get a bit more time.

Mentioned so far:
1.) Jillian's Duty
2.) Jillian's free will
3.) King Banhammer
4.) an instrument of Fate
5.) the potential to Attune to a Tool
6.) Part of Jillian's personality
7.) Jillian's perception of Banhammer
8.) Banhammer's parental influence on Jillian
9.) Something planted by Wanda, possibly during the box escapade
10.) An abstract concept inherent to Erfworld, such as perpetual warfare, that Charlie is working against
11.) A Maxwell mental construct
12.) Something made by tGMtTA
13.) Something formed by the Titans, but not specifically 4 or 5 above
14.) Attunement to the Arkenhammer, a more specific version of 5 above, which due to this eradication, spawned Stanley
15.) a representation of a PC, and by killing the Jester, Jillian reverted to NPC status
16.) the will to fight
Last edited by bladestorm on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bladestorm

Re: Speculations: What is the Jester?

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Something Made by the GMTTA was mentioned too.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:43 pm

0beron wrote:I think there are several possibilities here, all equally possible based on current evidence but listed in order of my personal opinion of likelihood:
  1. Charlie is lying, he is simply claiming there is some enemy so that he has an excuse to do something to Jillian. The possible motive could be that he knows some part of Jillian's Fate and is trying to avoid it by removing whatever part of her personality the Jester represents (free will, instincts, ect).
  2. Charlie is speaking metaphorically, the “enemy” is actually an idea or concept that Charlie wants to eradicate. Based on the Jester’s behavior, and Charlie’s past shift away from world domination, we can infer this idea is something aggressive.
  3. Since in the past the Jester has seemed to represent Banhammer, perhaps it is Jillian’s idea of her father formed by her own mind. Whether Banhammer actually has the qualities of the Jester deep down somewhere or not, this perception could motivate Jillian to act a certain way that Charlie doesn’t want her to. This is similar to #1 & 2, just a bit more specific.
  4. There actually is some enemy interfering on Jillian’s behalf and opposing Charlie. Possibilities include:
    • Wanda (she knows Thinkamancy, was present when the Jester first appeared, and the Jester has shared information that Wanda would have also known.)
    • Maxwell (I don’t think Wanda ever actually said he croaked, simply that Olive let him become lost. It’s possible he’s still out there somewhere, or that he continues to exist mentally despite his body croaking.)
    • GMTTA (We know they oppose Charlie at least in the future, so they certainly have motive and means)
    • The Titans (Fits with the Hammer idea)

Some of these kinda overlap with the list Blade already compiled, but here is all my ideas that I previously posted.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:54 pm

0beron wrote:
0beron wrote:I think there are several possibilities here, all equally possible based on current evidence but listed in order of my personal opinion of likelihood:
  1. Charlie is lying, he is simply claiming there is some enemy so that he has an excuse to do something to Jillian. The possible motive could be that he knows some part of Jillian's Fate and is trying to avoid it by removing whatever part of her personality the Jester represents (free will, instincts, ect).
  2. Charlie is speaking metaphorically, the “enemy” is actually an idea or concept that Charlie wants to eradicate. Based on the Jester’s behavior, and Charlie’s past shift away from world domination, we can infer this idea is something aggressive.
  3. Since in the past the Jester has seemed to represent Banhammer, perhaps it is Jillian’s idea of her father formed by her own mind. Whether Banhammer actually has the qualities of the Jester deep down somewhere or not, this perception could motivate Jillian to act a certain way that Charlie doesn’t want her to. This is similar to #1 & 2, just a bit more specific.
  4. There actually is some enemy interfering on Jillian’s behalf and opposing Charlie. Possibilities include:
    • Wanda (she knows Thinkamancy, was present when the Jester first appeared, and the Jester has shared information that Wanda would have also known.)
    • Maxwell (I don’t think Wanda ever actually said he croaked, simply that Olive let him become lost. It’s possible he’s still out there somewhere, or that he continues to exist mentally despite his body croaking.)
    • GMTTA (We know they oppose Charlie at least in the future, so they certainly have motive and means)
    • The Titans (Fits with the Hammer idea)

Some of these kinda overlap with the list Blade already compiled, but here is all my ideas that I previously posted.

I was trying to work off of memory of everything that was posted over there, which ended up being quite a bit.
bladestorm

Postby 0beron » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:56 pm

bladestorm wrote:I was trying to work off of memory of everything that was posted over there, which ended up being quite a bit.
Oh no problem, I wasn't trying to come across as negative, just figured quoting myself was the fastest/easiest way to add my ideas to the discussion. There are indeed a LOT of ideas floating around so I didn't expect you would have remembered them all.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby bladestorm » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:03 pm

0beron wrote:
bladestorm wrote:I was trying to work off of memory of everything that was posted over there, which ended up being quite a bit.
Oh no problem, I wasn't trying to come across as negative, just figured quoting myself was the fastest/easiest way to add my ideas to the discussion. There are indeed a LOT of ideas floating around so I didn't expect you would have remembered them all.

Updated with 0beron's contributions, which were neatly packaged for me to pick apart, and the GMtTA reference.
bladestorm

Postby Shai_hulud » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:42 am

I know what the jester is.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Sir_Dr_D » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 pm

After thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that what the Jester has said to do, has been consistent to what is best for FAQ, and has not been consistent with fate.

Jillian was fated to kill the ruler of halfaton. We do not know if that means she was fated to kill Olive specifically, or if she could have killed Judy. But we do know that one time fate did not want Jillian to shoot down Olive user the tower. So at that time anyway, something else had to happen first. So fates intentions are a bit ambiguous, but everything the Jester said has been the most logical thing to do for the side of FAQ.

So it could be:

An aspect of Jillians personality, such as duty that some people said. The fact that the Jester only appeared while she was under flower power is an indication of that. But what leans against this idea is that Charlie called it the enemy and the nature of the Jester was still left as a mystery at the end of part 2. If it was just Jillian trying to fight flower power by talking to herself, would that not have been clarified by now.

It could have been some other external entity. Maybe a Titan, or some player who is invested in the side of FAQ. Maybe it is some internal construct in erfworld, (either conscious or unconsios ) whose purpose is maintaining balance in Erfworld. and because of the extreme nature of the circumstance wanted to protect FAQ. What ever it is I do not think it was fate. Since fate does seem to act a bit like a GM, there also could be forces that act like players, or work to maintain sides.

I am going to throw out more speculation and say that what ever the jester is, was also responsible for sending that yellow dragon. The dragon came at just the time it was most needed, which seemed to coincidental. I do not believe in coincidences that strong in erfworld, so I will conclude something helped her at that moment.
Sir_Dr_D
Tool + YOTD Supporter!
Tool + YOTD Supporter!

Postby effataigus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Nice list, Blade!
Last edited by effataigus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am, edited 239044 times in total.
effataigus

Return to Everything Else Erfworld