Links : Parson himself

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Links : Parson himself

Postby Phylan » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Okay, newly registered user here, so please be forgiving if my ideas are not new. After reading through some of the threads about magic-user linkups here, I wondered :

Hey, Parson's a caster of some sort, right? So what would happen if he was in a linkup?

First, I think it would have the advantage of clarifying which type of caster he is. The thinkamancer could probably help him sort out through what he can and can't do. While it is not that important immediately, it would probably be very useful in the long run.

Second, it would bring Parson's mind into the link, and Parson's mind is one of the most creative minds of Erfworld. I think in a three-man linkup, Parson could develop magic in ways unthought of.

For example, with dirtamancy, he could build micro-golems (for scouting, or in ant-like swarms, for example), or sandstorm-golems, that kind of things. With dollamancy, he could probably bring the ideas of the industrial age and build not magic items, but magic items that mass-produce magic items by themselves.

As for what Parson could do in a link with a carnymancer, I shudder even to think of it...

What do you think? What else would happen, or what could Parson do, in a linkup?
Phylan

Re: Links : Parson himself

Postby wih » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:35 pm

He's not yet in a state to be involved in a link. Note how people get brought into a link, being told to remember the first spell they cast. Parson has a while to go. Maybe he could be brought into an involuntary link, though I'm biased on that topic.
wih

Postby 0beron » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Wellllllll, that's a tricky thing. We have been told Thinkamancy is more complex than the casters like to admit. Casters joining a link are told to remember the feeling of casting in their school...because that is their core unit type and what defines them. However, being a caster is not what defines Parson. So it may be possible to bring him into a link by having him focus on something else, something central to who he is. If this is possible, then he need not have cast a spell before joining. (And also means that perhaps Warlords can be linked as well, which is an idea that has been proposed before, use the 'Dish to link all the 'Tool wielders, including Stanley.)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby wih » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:15 am

There's bound to be more than one way to skin this metaphorical cat, no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if the person to first link with Parson was either a Master-class Thinkamancer, or if it is what pushes Maggie into Master-class. But as it stands right now nothing in the comic has been shown that would allow Parson to link. That is, however, bound to change.
wih

Postby Lipkin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:11 am

It would be pretty funny if Parson actually already had cast a spell. The words of the spell?

"FUCK... YOU!"

He altered his signamancy from that a of a game piece, to that of a player. Or maybe the spell was "I'm a player!" and he altered the signamancy of profanity.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby wih » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:23 am

...that's actually a really interesting concept I would be interested to keep an eye on. Not something I'd bet for, but definitely interesting.
wih

Postby Lilwik » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:55 pm

0beron wrote:Casters joining a link are told to remember the feeling of casting in their school...because that is their core unit type and what defines them.
As far as I can tell, we don't actually know why. Feel free to guess, of course.

0beron wrote:However, being a caster is not what defines Parson. So it may be possible to bring him into a link by having him focus on something else, something central to who he is.
It may also be possible to bring him into a link by countless other means based on all the vast complexities of Thinkamancy that we've only seen hints of. A bigger question is: would he actually be able to accomplish anything in the link when he has no knowledge of magic to contribute? Perhaps he could use a link as a tool to come up with brilliant new strategies, just as long as he writes them down while linked so he can remember them afterward.
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Lilwik wrote:
0beron wrote:Casters joining a link are told to remember the feeling of casting in their school...because that is their core unit type and what defines them.
As far as I can tell, we don't actually know why. Feel free to guess, of course.
It's called a logical conclusion mister contrary. Sizemore popped as a Dirtamancer unit, and in the link he needed to do Dirtamancy. It's a pretty basic connection. Or perhaps if you'd like to approach it from a slightly different connection, the unit has to focus on what they will be needed to offer the link in terms of skills and abilities. Either way you wanna phrase it, it still points to non-casters theoretically being able to participate in links.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Two person links lead to greater understanding of the discipline of the non-Thinker caster. I suspect Parson and Maggie might link on their own just to find out what Parson is. With plenty "does this remind you of something" subtext mixed in.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:08 pm

I do not understand the message you are trying to convey.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Lipkin wrote:I do not understand the message you are trying to convey.
Phylan wrote:what could Parson do, in a linkup?
Hamsters. Giant hamsters everywhere. With rocket launchers. The hamsters are actually fur suits.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:31 am

Shai_hulud wrote:
Lipkin wrote:I do not understand the message you are trying to convey.
Phylan wrote:what could Parson do, in a linkup?
Hamsters. Giant hamsters everywhere. With rocket launchers. The hamsters are actually fur suits.

Huh. I guess I was just so shocked by the imagery I failed to see the obvious. Anime is weird, man.
Lipkin

Postby Shai_hulud » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah, I was mostly laughing at the idea of military grade battle bears, in the form of fur-suit power armor. You know, because fur-suits, but Ace hates pervert stuff and fluffy stuffed animals. I wasn't being exactly serious.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Lipkin

Return to Everything Else Erfworld