Parson + Dish = Fun.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Parson + Dish = Fun.

Postby Lipkin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:04 am

Just some thoughts I had on the hypothetical situation of Parson attuning to the Dish, and gaining all the powers that we know about it. With just the infinite thinkogram capabilities, Parson could become extremely wealthy. Contact Parson, pay a reasonable fee, and he'll go over your battle plan. Assuming he still has his bracer, he could charge the use of that as well. And that's just the obvious stuff. We've been told that if any unit on Erf thinks hard enough, they can contact Charlie, so lets say that stays the same for Parson. Imagine Parson becoming the first ever gaming company. Before coming to Erf that he designed games, and he continued war gaming with Jack later. So what if he started making games, and then charged units for the opportunity to play them in think space? If the dish can act like operator, connecting two people without Parson being there to transmit, then Parson could even set up matches between other people.

Charlie has this ability, but only uses it to manage his ability to take out military contracts. Parson could do a lot more cool stuff with it.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Re: Parson + Dish = Fun.

Postby 0beron » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:29 am

One thing we still need to have answered is how Charlie experiences Time. It's possible that if he experiences time the same way as other Erflings, his "contracting" abilities are limited because of the time it would take him to speak with the, and then think about strategy before replying with his advice. This might make his billing rate too high to reasonably afford...after all, saving GK often takes up the bulk of his time as is.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby wih » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:45 am

The way Charlie had his Archons ask Jillian and Trammennis (IIRC) to "wait for Charlie" while he was (presumably) spying on GK, and then answered each of the two in turn implies there is some element of linear time to his use of the dish.
wih

Postby 0beron » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Indeed, it's just a question of how "compressed" his time is. Do things happen in real time, or does he have unlimited time to do whatever while he is using Thinkamancy? I think it's implied he experiences time at the same rate and can still run out of hours in a day, but we haven't had explicit confirmation.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby wih » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm

I'm sure there's a way to abuse the time mechanics in Erfworld using scouting and returning to a central hex, without needing the Dish to be even more powerful than it is.
Other instances of where Thinkspace is in realtime are when Parson is negotiating with the GMTTA and the Predict/Carnies are gearing up for a fight. All signs point (as far as I can see) towards time inside Thinkspace being the same as outside.
wih

Postby Lipkin » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:27 am

I was more figuring Parson without any of the fate crap attached to him. If left to his own devices, with the bracer and dish as resources, the fun he could get up to.
Lipkin

Postby MadZuri » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:51 pm

I really like this idea. Unfortunately, we've seen that maintaining thinkspace requires a caster's (and everyone's in it) full attention. I hope that archons can maintain it after initial setup, but we've only seen them do regular thinkagrams on their own. I am not sure that they could maintain it without the full attention of either a thinkamancer or whoever is attuned to the dish.
MadZuri

Return to Everything Else Erfworld