What to do with 2000 defective copies of B2, I3

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

What to do with 2000 defective copies of B2, I3

Postby Knott » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:01 am

:idea: What to do with 2000 defective copies of B2, I3

So Rob casually asked us a question in the news field. Not sure if he actually wanted some answers, but "If life gives you crap; make crap golems". Right?

I actually have some ideas, it might be the sleep deprevation talking, but eh, if a thousand idiots starts brainstorming, then mathamancy has it on good authority that at least one good idea will pop up ...eventually. So let's get cracking skulls shall we? :mrgreen:

• When you have ruined most of the other copies while experimenting with all the other suggestions, keep 100-200 surviving copies and number them, get 'em signed by both Rob and Xin, and then sell them as the infamous ultra-rare signed misprint versions of Issue 3.
  • Take about 11 copies and cut off their backs. Make a wish, and then start folding a thousand paper birds. (Cranes? Tranes?)
  • Cut out panels with no text or very descrete text and have Xin sign them. Then sell.
  • Cutting out an entire page (they can't all be defective right?) sign it by Rob and Xin. Then sell.
  • If the epic misprint is that you sent the file without the speech bubbles. Then they are not unsellable.
  • Make paper maché dwagons.
  • Cut out a couple of panels from here and there and then glue them back on to a paper in an order that makes it fun. (adding some cut-out speech bubbles might be allowed). Sign, then sell for the lols.

Now, these might, by some people, be seen as desperately squeezing profit out of a failure, but Rob, you got to eat. And eat healthy so that brain of yours can keep on writing.

Crap remains crap until you give it new stats and someone loses a limb!
Knott
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins Supporter!

Re: What to do with 2000 defective copies of B2, I3

Postby Lamech » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:43 am

Knott wrote:If the epic misprint is that you sent the file without the speech bubbles. Then they are not unsellable.
Ditto. And by ditto, I mean I will buy the fuck out of it.
Lamech

Postby drachefly » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 am

It really depends what the defect is. Rob, could you be a mite more specific? It's not like you can spoil this since we've seen it on the web already.
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby MadZuri » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:46 am

Unless the mistake was in some form of bonus material meant only for backers. Or the wrong bonus material. Or Charlie's dossier. Or...
MadZuri

Postby No one in particular » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 pm

I replied to the twitter announcement, but I'll repeat myself here:

Build a con booth out of 'em!
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby Lor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Knott wrote::
[*]Take about 11 copies and cut off their backs. Make a wish, and then start folding a thousand paper birds. (Cranes? Tranes?)

Mobiles?

Seriously, though ... I 2nd the "signed copies" idea.
Another idea (failing that), take to Kinkos or a similar store. Unbind them and intersperse calendar/schedule pages.

I must have been a librarian in a past popping or something -- just the idea of unbinding a book made me cringe there!
Sir Cedric: Delayed? How so?
Wamba: Well, when I heard Normans were approaching I ran to lock up my wife. But, she'd also heard they were approaching, and locked me up instead.
Lor

Postby drachefly » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:53 pm

My mom is a librarian. Back in the day they had a special room for unbinding and fixing up books - 'tech services'. I think that might mean something different now.

That said, it's quite likely that this volume does not lend itself to this.
drachefly

Postby j_scheibel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:32 pm

sell them. A nice novelty for the erfworld collector who has everything!

winter heating!

use them as background decoration in booths. need a few random pages to put on the booth wall cut them out and stick them up.

use any unblemished pages as kickstarter rewards in future projects (sign and distribute.. probably want to take apart the book at the spine if you do.)
j_scheibel
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Postby Finn MacCool » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:54 pm

advertise by donating them to kindergardens. the kids are bound to like the pretty pictures (possibly enough to buy later comics once they can read) and any book in the hands of children that age is bound to quickly become defective, anyway.
Finn MacCool

Postby -D- » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:38 pm

On a logistic level. Getting 50 - 100 of defective issues signed would be nice. Rest of them could serve as... Postcards or paper goop.
-D-
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby bigGoon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Wrapping paper for Holiday gifts. 2000 copies would probably be enough to a lifetime of gift wrap. You could wrap all 500 copies of issue 3 with it, or send a nice little 'bonus gift of wrapping paper' with everybody's item.
bigGoon

Postby No one in particular » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:19 pm

Finn MacCool wrote:advertise by donating them to kindergardens. the kids are bound to like the pretty pictures (possibly enough to buy later comics once they can read) and any book in the hands of children that age is bound to quickly become defective, anyway.

Considering how Book 2 is the one where Parson can swear instead of saying Boop, kindergartens might not be the best choice. Having the teacher explain why the potato man said "Chuck you, Farley" miiiiight be asking for trouble. (also, all the hells, damns, and son of a bitch!s, you know)
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Postby passiontiger » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:09 pm

You could get 'crafty' with them and sell the crafts at an even higher price :P

so thing like a book 'bags' and then turning the pages into wreaths or make it into book art , mind you book art would be ridiculously priced as it is so intricate and lovely and people would be willing to pay more for it
passiontiger

Postby bpzinn » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Wallpaper a room, either entirely, or as a runner.
Crumple pages as packing when you sent shipments from the store.
Use to wrap small gifts (already said)

Edit: Yes, please tells us what the misprint is!
bpzinn

Postby wih » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:13 am

drachefly wrote:It really depends what the defect is. Rob, could you be a mite more specific? It's not like you can spoil this since we've seen it on the web already.

I believe on Facebook he said that one page was misprinted as a copy of the previous page.
wih

Postby Haplo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:29 am

wih wrote:
drachefly wrote:It really depends what the defect is. Rob, could you be a mite more specific? It's not like you can spoil this since we've seen it on the web already.

I believe on Facebook he said that one page was misprinted as a copy of the previous page.

Build a list of 500 libraries. Send 4 copies to each library. Include a note that page x is duplicated due to a printing fault.
Free publicity!

OR

Take them to a con and hand them out. Sign each one at the front, make a note that page x is duplicated due to a misprint.
You could do this for a couple of boxes and have people walk around the con handing them out.
Again, free publicity.

OR

Offer them for sale in your shop for $1 each plus domestic / international postage. Win / win!

I like the 'turn them into wallpaper' idea.

Donate a stack of them signed with note about misprint for a bunch of local schools and university libraries?
Haplo
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Selling for $1 would be too little. I think even 50% off would be too little. The book is 99% there.

I do approve of the promotional handouts though. Maybe stamp the website on the bottoms of individual pages, rip them out, and pass out selected cool pages?
drachefly

Postby Finn MacCool » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

No one in particular wrote:
Finn MacCool wrote:advertise by donating them to kindergardens. the kids are bound to like the pretty pictures (possibly enough to buy later comics once they can read) and any book in the hands of children that age is bound to quickly become defective, anyway.

Considering how Book 2 is the one where Parson can swear instead of saying Boop, kindergartens might not be the best choice. Having the teacher explain why the potato man said "Chuck you, Farley" miiiiight be asking for trouble. (also, all the hells, damns, and son of a bitch!s, you know)

i meant "kindergarten" as it's used in british english (and german, of course). the american term would be "nursery school", i think. and the children there (3-5 years old) are usually not able to read.
Finn MacCool

Postby drachefly » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Their parents and older siblings can. And some of those pictures are not really all THAT suitable. You'd have to be picky. That's too much work.
drachefly

Postby Shadowwolf102 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:42 pm

My suggestion would be to use them as a backer's reward for the next Kickstarter for Book 3. Label it a collector's item ONLY available as a reward.
Shadowwolf102

Next

Return to Everything Else Erfworld