Something to do with Defective Comics

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Something to do with Defective Comics

Postby NastySasquatch » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:09 pm

Put the comics on eBay, then donate 100% of the proceeds to the families of the American tradesmen you put out of business sending your printing to China.

It puts a smile on my face every time your printing and shipping gets messed up by this choice.

Love your comic, just wish I could purchase it without having to morally bankrupt myself.

Micah, former Journeyman Bookbinder
NastySasquatch

Re: Something to do with Defective Comics

Postby Shai_hulud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby NastySasquatch » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Yea it's a bit of that but...

In all honesty Rob told me he had zero interest in using American printers because Chinese printers were cheaper. So he doesn't even gather quotes from Americans.

At the time told me this, I considered what it would cost my company to print Erfworld Book 2 in a comic book form (Zine style). Using very nice paper stocks, a Heidelberg all-in-one (even makes its own print plates) 6 color printer, A 6 step program on the Polaris guillotine cutter, and then a Horizon all-in-one auto-stitcher (it folds and stitches and does final trim) I got the cost down to, if memory serves, 4 dollars a book at less than 1000, and 1 dollar a book over 5000, with a 72 hour turnover from final artwork to shipped to customer. I did that just for myself to know, I never asked Rob what he was paying the Chinese.' (for reference: 3 machines, 50 hours of labor and machine run time)

Hardbound books would have depended entirely on the cover material, and about a $1 per book increase to fold for the perfect binder instead of flat sheets on the Horizon. Perfect binding for us was only about a $0.25 difference over the Horizon because of glue. So it would have cost us 5.25 (plus price of hard cover material) to make the hardbound books at the 1000 books price.

And the company I was working for at that time did and still does comic books for DARK HORSE.
NastySasquatch

Postby wih » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 am

Are you saying that his statement that Chinese printers are cheaper is incorrect? Or that you dislike the fact that he didn't look?
wih

Postby NastySasquatch » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Ever hear the saying Penny wise Pound foolish.

I don't know if the price per book for printing is cheaper, but I know I've never seen an erfworld book ship on time.
NastySasquatch

Postby mmooneybsa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:01 pm

I know for a fact that Rob did look at US printing costs (from casual conversation), looking at costs doesn't require obtaining quotes when the difference is more than 3 to 1 including shipping. You don't seem to have looked at why your industry is failing in the US, you openly admit to having not looked at China's prices at all, yet you're calling Rob foolish.
I don't talk on forums much, because I'll be a dick ;)
mmooneybsa
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby drachefly » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Well, if he could deliver at that price, just the headache and delivery delays he actually experienced cost around as much as the whole print run. So assuming that the Chinese didn't do it for free or cheaper...
drachefly
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby NastySasquatch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:07 pm

mmooneybsa wrote:I know for a fact that Rob did look at US printing costs (from casual conversation), looking at costs doesn't require obtaining quotes when the difference is more than 3 to 1 including shipping. You don't seem to have looked at why your industry is failing in the US, you openly admit to having not looked at China's prices at all, yet you're calling Rob foolish.

I never said I hadn't looked at Chinese prices at all, I said I don't know what Rob got for quotes. The difference in prices I have looked at has been on print runs in the hundreds of thousands to millions, those are the prices where the Chinese are killing us. For a small 20,000 or less print run Americans are highly competitive in pricing in my experience. My own conversation with Rob was on this forum, on which he told me he didn't look at US quotes anymore.
NastySasquatch

Return to Everything Else Erfworld