The shape of Erfworld

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

The shape of Erfworld

Postby My2Cents » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Since Erfworld is made of hexagons I've always assumed that it was flat.
But it just occurred to me, what if it's cylindrical?

Go far enough east/west, and you go back to where you started, go far enough north (or south) and you go over the edge, and end up in the magic kingdom. And if one face of the cylinder is the magic kingdom, is the other face the realm of the titans?
My2Cents

Re: The shape of Erfworld

Postby Lilwik » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:53 pm

It could also be a toroid. That would save Erfworld from all the messiness of having an edge where the land just ends, as well as saving it from the trouble of being infinite. There's another thread discussing it here: Flat Erf Theory
Lilwik

Postby 0beron » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm by no means a geometric expert, but I believe hexagons can also be tessellated to form a "sphere" (no it wouldn't technically be perfectly round, but would resemble a sphere) and Erfwolrd may exist on the inside or outside of the sphere (I would guess inside, thus allowing the soil to extend down indefinitely whereas the sky is finite, evidenced by the fact that some mountains are too high to fly over)
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lipkin » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:41 am

Has a horizon ever been mentioned?
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:29 am

In a literal sense like our world? No I don't think so. Most units do not seem capable of really seeing any further than adjacent hexes, so their concept of a "horizon" is simply the hazy imperceptible features of the terrain tow hexes away.
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Observers were able to see a good ways from the top of the Efdup tower. Just the front of it, and just barely.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F077b.jpg
However, we note that the column is a good ways away.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F097.jpg
At the base of the mountain actually.
http://www.erfworld.com/book-1-archive/?px=%2F101.jpg
Judging from this and the multi-hex nature of the column, I believe that you can see multiple hexes! It may require towers or special powers or both, but you can see through multiple hexes sans lookamancy spells.

Also I remember the haze from somewhere else. I THINK it implied multiple hexes too, but I have no idea where it would be.
Lamech

Postby 0beron » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:42 pm

The haze was described by Maggie in a Summer Update, when Parson attempted to cross a hex boundary. She describes how crossing a border feels, saying that one simply "feels" their Move drop, and the hex gains new clarity.
Based on that, I'd assume seeing more than just the adjacent hex requires a tower or similar bonus, or perhaps it's just a matter of impaired detail, so the column was only visible because of the sheer number of units.
I think Jillian comments somewhere about how far ahead she can see the terrain, it was either sometime that she was flying, or while she was a Fugitive. It'll take a while for me to find where though. That's the reference we really need, since we care about terrain, not units.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Return to Everything Else Erfworld