Creation of a Side: Opinions on units, please.

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Creation of a Side: Opinions on units, please.

Postby BakaGrappler » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:44 am

I'm making a side at the moment for a little project I'm working on and I'd like input on the unit spread. As you read this, please keep in mind that the side's terrain is all Heavy Forest. No roads, just forest, so any unit too large to fit between trees is completely impractical. The side's general strategy is "Ambush, Ambush, Ambush." Scouts find and sap the enemy, and then large numbers of units attack at opportune times, disappear, rinse, repeat, so Jetstone style straight forward combat is not something this side would ever do.

Please read and give your thoughts, fellow Erfians.

Casters:
Chief Signamancer - Minor Flower Power, poison crafting.
Dirtamancer - Heavy: Prefers field combat. Very minor Dollamancy (Raiment and Stuffed-Shirts only, see below)
Shockamancer - Experimenter. Been experimenting with 3 way links by contracting MK casters.

Basic:
Basic Infantry: As per normal, bare bones unit.
Basic Archery: As per normal, bare bones unit.

Heavy:
Were-woofs:
Cute waggly tailed doggies that can walk on two legs, and tear out throats with fang or claw. Basic Language skills and cannot form battle plans on their own, but follow commands well enough. Cannot equip weapons or armor. Forest Capable. Special: Pack mentality - Gain combat bonuses from having more Werewoofs in stack, up to an 8 unit maximum bonus.

Servants and Courtiers:
Servants: Stuffed-Shirts
Almost mindless servants made of fabric. 1 hit, 0 Attack, 0 Defense. Super cheap and harmless. Can perform basic servant tasks, and parrot back messages meant to be delivered, otherwise, has 50 total words it can speak.

Courtiers:
Only exist to manage the Stuffed shirts, and keep inventories and armories stocked and up to date according to the Signamancer's spreadsheets. When the ruler wants advice on ruling, the ruler speaks to warlords and casters.

Knights:
Only normal knights, the side does not use Heavy Knights outside their capitol site.

Ground Mounts:
John Deeres:
Green fur with yellow saddles, forest special. No armor, but can attack with it's antlers. Agile, large jump, and favored by the Side's Warlords as ground mounts. Females have antlers anyway, and are John Does.

Flight Mounts:
Blue Bird:
Chronically depressed fowl that act as mounts for the aerial based knights of the Side, being much easier to travel by air in their territory. Can attack with beak, but even more so with clawed legs. Can do a jousting charge on land or in flight. Cannot wear armor heavier than Medium.

Heavy Flight (name withheld):
Larger bird unit. Flight capable despite all standard laws of physics. Wings double for arms, and can punch, kick, and smash like the Heavy and Siege dolls that Jetstone enjoys using. Feathers are a natural armor, wears no equipment. very fearsome and "intimidating."

Natural Allies:
Shady Elves:
Field archery units for the Side. Special - Concealment bonus: Being of a shady nature, this Elf brand gets bonuses to it's stealth and hiding rolls. Special - Sneak Attack: Should the Shady Elves not be able to be seen by the target of their attacks, the attack does additional Sneak Attack damage.

Eager Elves:
Go to units for field combat when possible. Special - High Morale: Having more heart than any other unit (see wut I did thar :mrgreen: ) the unit suffers no penalties to combat for being outnumbered. Special - Higher level units gain damage protection, both in general and to one additional element at random, this elements being reflected in the color of their clothing. Every Energetic Elf is popped with a Sword Master blade and shield.

(I know what people will say, "Why not Woodsy elves, who have the Forestry special?" Well, as we can all see in Book 1, they are straight forward combatants, not sneaky at all. Their combat style does not mesh with this Side's strategy.)

Golems:
Various Hard Rock golems, and a smattering of metal. Used where they are most effective, not seen much in the field.

Fabrication: ???
Can sides have units without the Fabrication special make saddles, armors, weapons, and normal everyday life items? I don't know if it's been addressed about what sides without guys like Twolls. If so, please enlighten me.

Now, what have I missed in the creation of the side?
Hey, have you read Shadows of the Evergreen? It's my ErfFic. People say it's pretty good over here, and who am I to argue? Check it out, and then tell me what you think of my hack writing.
Last Updated: 6/16/14
BakaGrappler

Re: Creation of a Side: Opinions on units, please.

Postby Prodigial_Knight » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:09 pm

I know this thread might be a bit old, but this looks good to me.

Is there a template we know the sides follow, I remeber Parson giving a basic breakdown of what a native GK city can produce, but the list seemed to be pretty sparse I kind of expected the Sides to be more diverse (at least having as manny individual types of units as a Heroes 3 castlle).

But again if we only know the template for GK that faction might be balanced in that it has a smaller unit selection but the individual units are stronger, there might be other factions which are "wider" or even "narower".

I know that there ways to dd new unit types to your side, like natural allies,casters and capturing the cities of different sides but you know those are problematic from a game design standpoint and can leave an unlucky "player" with a really boring side.
Prodigial_Knight

Postby Lipkin » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 pm

I'm almost positive that the fabrication special isn't unique to twolls. I think fabrication is needed to make stuff though.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:55 pm

It's hard to say. No other side has been specifically mentioned as having a unit with fabrication, but all of them have things that would theoretically take fabrication to make (saddles being a big one). Having fabrication might make those sorts of things cheaper, or of a higher quality. Or it might be more of a verity thing. Like units that need saddles pop with them, but you need fabrication to add a saddlebag or something like that. It's something that hasn't really been explained much in the comic.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:09 am

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:It's hard to say. No other side has been specifically mentioned as having a unit with fabrication, but all of them have things that would theoretically take fabrication to make (saddles being a big one). Having fabrication might make those sorts of things cheaper, or of a higher quality. Or it might be more of a verity thing. Like units that need saddles pop with them, but you need fabrication to add a saddlebag or something like that. It's something that hasn't really been explained much in the comic.

The implication that Sidemore gave when he was describing the Twoll's Fabrication during the Summer Update was that you do need the Fabrication special to make things like the Twolls do or have some other form of Natural Stuffamancy/be a Stuffamancer. But, keep in mind that cities pop a lot of things, and units tend to pop with the equipment they need to do their jobs. (Mounts pop with saddles, Stabbers pop with swords, etc.) Stanley certainly felt it was important to have a lot of lackeys around to get things done after Gobwin Knob was rebuilt, so it is quite possible other sides may also have things/want to have things like the Twolls, too. (Though, admittedly, Stanley doesn't always make the best choices.)
Godzfirefly

Postby Shai_hulud » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Sizemore never said anything about fabrication. You're confusing him talking about Changemancy with Maggie talking about Dollamancy. Which isn't to say Stuffamancy doesn't also do Fabrication given comments by Digdoug.
Shai_hulud
Pins Supporter!
Pins Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:00 pm

This is probably far too late to be of any use, but I would suggest one change and one rethink.

I would change the Dirtamancer to a Dollamancer. First of all, the Stuffed-Shirts seem like something a Dollamancer would make. In order for the side to have a significant number of them, they'd probably need a Dollamancer on hand. Second, while there are casters like Wanda that are competent in cross-class casting, I would imagine it is fairly rare. While it is fine for the Signamancer to minor in Flower Power since they're both Hippiemancy, it seems weird to have a Stuffamancer with a minor in Spookism. Also, I imagine a plush cloth golem to be stealthier than rock and metal golems stomping through the woods. Tchotchkes also look like animals, so there can be many furry woodland creatures that can be created as them. Anyway, it just seems, to me, better to just make that caster a straight up Dollamancer.

As for the Shockamancer, there is nothing wrong, per se, with him/her being interested in 3-way links, but it isn't something he could just do, especially given the inherent risks involved and the costs associated with hiring a Thinkamancer. The Shockamancer would have to justify it to both the side's ruler and the Chief Signamancer, enough for the ruler to be willing to occasionally spend schmuckers on it.

Anyway, the side looks interesting. Also, this is all just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth, which probably isn't much.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby conmor » Fri May 30, 2014 5:00 am

why not have mini spidews that have the fabrication special like twolls. they would be able to rove in packs like bats and make traps. they are small so they would be able to sneak very well. they might even be poisonous which would let them be effective on their own in combat. if they don't have the poison ability naturally than maybe ones personally looked after by the hippiemancer could be poisonous. imagine how it would go though. a hundred spidews descend on a sleeping camp of hapless scouts. first step: weave a trap through the trees to catch any fleeing troops. next step: drop down and poison any sentries. final step: descend on masse to poison sleeping troops. a troop of these mini spidews consists of 100-200 of the minis, 2-3 shady elves to retrieve items left by the dead troops, and 1 warlord. the warlord would be something spidew related too like a humanoid unit with spidew legs sticking out of its back. able to climb trees and spin webs.
conmor

Return to Everything Else Erfworld