So, uhm. Book 3 Kickstarter?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Re: So, uhm. Book 3 Kickstarter?

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:56 pm

Well, it is very rare to get a published scientific paper as a response to a question on a forum, so I'll have to accept it, despite my brain being convinced it can manage it somehow.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Lamech » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:07 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Well, it is very rare to get a published scientific paper as a response to a question on a forum, so I'll have to accept it, despite my brain being convinced it can manage it somehow.
Also it seems the theorem holds when you use distorted hexes as well. I'm guessing if Erfworld has wrap around its of the standard doughnut variety. Leave from the top end up on the bottom and visa versa. Either that or Erfworld has the pentagons hidden in unpassable terrain.
Lamech

Postby Lilwik » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Lamech wrote:I'm guessing if Erfworld has wrap around its of the standard doughnut variety.
Don't forget that "firmament" was mentioned in the beginning of Book 0. The firmament is a mythical dome that is supposed to hold the sky above a flat Earth. How can the sky be held up by a dome if Erfworld is shaped like a doughnut? Since we have no particular reason to expect that Erfworld wraps around, for now I'm going to take the firmament as an indication that Erfworld is flat and has walls at its edges.
Lilwik

Postby Lamech » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:54 am

Lilwik wrote:
Lamech wrote:I'm guessing if Erfworld has wrap around its of the standard doughnut variety.
Don't forget that "firmament" was mentioned in the beginning of Book 0. The firmament is a mythical dome that is supposed to hold the sky above a flat Earth. How can the sky be held up by a dome if Erfworld is shaped like a doughnut? Since we have no particular reason to expect that Erfworld wraps around, for now I'm going to take the firmament as an indication that Erfworld is flat and has walls at its edges.

Really, if I was designing this I wouldn't bother with making Erfworld Euclidean. Erfworld would be flat, but do the wrap around we see in TBS games sometimes. The firmament could still hold up the sky.
Lamech

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:44 am

Lamech wrote:
Lilwik wrote:

Really, if I was designing this I wouldn't bother with making Erfworld Euclidean. Erfworld would be flat, but do the wrap around we see in TBS games sometimes. The firmament could still hold up the sky.

The fact that we have an area of the world that is known as the west, and an area known as the east, actually makes me think it somewhat unlikely that the world wraps around, unless it does so with a huge ocean. Otherwise people aren't really going to necessarily accept that they're the 'east' or 'west'. We got that naming convention back when the world was believed to be flat, and have mostly kept it because 99% of world maps show Europe in the center.

Granted, most sides aren't going to have the ability to explore that much due to the constant warfare, but I seem to remember one of the characters besides Charlie referring to their area as 'the west'
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:04 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:We got that naming convention back when the world was believed to be flat[...]

No, we really didn't. No one ever actually believed the world was flat, it was just a myth developed in the 1600s that people from hundreds of years before them believed the Earth was flat.

The naming convention comes solely from Euro-centric language. The reality that the world wrapped around didn't mean anything to the Europeans, after all, since it wasn't really practical to do at the time.
Godzfirefly

Postby Lamech » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:
Taikei no Yuurei wrote:We got that naming convention back when the world was believed to be flat[...]

No, we really didn't. No one ever actually believed the world was flat, it was just a myth developed in the 1600s that people from hundreds of years before them believed the Earth was flat.

The naming convention comes solely from Euro-centric language. The reality that the world wrapped around didn't mean anything to the Europeans, after all, since it wasn't really practical to do at the time.

Erfworld might even have that naming convention hard coded into the world. Like you might in a war game with coordinates.
Lamech

Postby 0beron » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:24 pm

OH
MY
TITANS

WHYYYYYYYYYYY are we back to the firmament debate, in a topic about the Kickstarter?
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Keighvin1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am

More on topic, it looks like we're going to have Steve Jackson in Erfworld, so that's a thing.
Keighvin1
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
YOTD + Erfabet + Pins + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Innovan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Keighvin1 wrote:More on topic, it looks like we're going to have Steve Jackson in Erfworld, so that's a thing.

I vote for a Stevie Wonder/Michael Jackson half-and-half character who powers up into Don't-Mess-With-Texas Lone-Star mode. Even though I have not been a fan of dance fighting, Stevie Wonder's song Superstition just seem like a natural fit for a Erfworld. Plus The Secret Life of Plants and so many other twists in his career. And MJ... references already exist to MJ.
Innovan
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby 0beron » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Yes I 100% agree this will be awesome to see! I wonder whether the character he goes for will be more of a name pun like Innovan suggested, or related to his work/interests instead.
"I'm afraid I don't understand. And also afraid that I do."
GJC wrote:Two guys with basically the same name in a discussion about a character getting cloned.
There's gotta be a good joke in here somewhere.
0beron
YOTD + Pins Supporter!
YOTD + Pins Supporter!

Postby Chaotic Descent » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Not sure where to ask this, but will book 2 hardcover:
* be sold outside the kickstarter?
* cost less than on kickstarter including shipping? {You would think not, but considering the extra added on kickstarter, perhaps not. Also, shipping within the USA.}

I was already a member for a year or two, bought both softcover and hardcover copies of book 1, so I feel just buying book 2 even if it's the cheapest method is still support. I was pretty discouraged that book 2 would be $75. I don't remember how much I spent on book 1 hardcover, but I thought it was well below $50. I know it's got more pages, but those more than book 1 are mostly text so... I don't know. It just doesn't feel like the same value. {despite loving the text updates and being fine with them not having illustrations.}
Chaotic Descent

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't remember exactly, but about $75 is what I paid in the store for book 2. I'll see if I can find my receipt email.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Chaotic Descent » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:I don't remember exactly, but about $75 is what I paid in the store for book 2. I'll see if I can find my receipt email.

... what? It was in the store already? I thought it wasn't even out yet.
$75 PLUS shipping? I wonder if the Kickstarter option will end up being the same price but with added bonuses, or cheaper. Bleh.
I wish the stretch goal was to lower the price on the hardcover book. :( I mean... the 3 separate softcover issues costs $30. $30 or $75, which would you rather pay?

I don't really care about the bonuses, but I'd might as well... assuming I can sign up for Kickstarter without a delay. I hope there's no requirement of like linking to a bank account and taking a long time to verify. I got PayPal and a Mastercard. :P
Chaotic Descent

Postby Mrtyuh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Book 2 will definitely be available through the Erfworld store. That's half the reason there is a Kickstarter, to get the book published so that Rob can sell it. It was already available for preorder for Tools. It cost me $45, plus $13 shipping, and I live in the United States. I don't know if Tools got a bit of discount, but I doubt it will much more expensive when it goes on sale for the general public. Book 1 hardcover is currently $40, so it's comparable.

The Kickstarter payments are through Amazon payments. If you have an Amazon account and a credit card, you're all set to pledge. If not, you can contact Rob by e-mail and arrange to pay through PayPal. If you get the book through the Kickstarter and live within the United States, that $75 includes the shipping. So, $58 for just the book through the store, or $75 for the book and other goodies through the Kickstarter.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Yeah, I double checked my info and Mrtyuh has it right. So it might be a bit cheaper to wait till it is out in the store, assuming tools didn't get a discount for the early order. So really it is up to you to determine if the extra $17 is worth the various bonuses you get from the kickstarter, such as the fridge magnet (which I am seriously excited about because my most visited wiki page is by far the erf magic page) or not.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby KonradKnox » Tue May 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi, I didn't read most of this site in a long while, I think since last year, last I recall is the end of book 2.
Is this webcomic still a thing? In terms of the story, I skimmed through it, and looks like the last year was mainly spent on backstory that has little to do with story at hand.
Are we getting back to the real time story, about Ansom and Parson and Stanley?
KonradKnox

Postby Silversought » Tue May 20, 2014 6:12 pm

KonradKnox wrote:Hi, I didn't read most of this site in a long while, I think since last year, last I recall is the end of book 2.
Is this webcomic still a thing? In terms of the story, I skimmed through it, and looks like the last year was mainly spent on backstory that has little to do with story at hand.

You probably could stand to skim through the Site News before wondering if the comic still exists. XD

Anyway, to give you a more direct answer:

Book 3 Kickstarter finished a little less than a month ago. Book 3 will start as soon as the new artist has finished up some current stuff, and the author has done another Backer Story.

For info on what the comic has been doing lately:
Text Updates covering Book 0 (yes, backstory. Finished another part a while ago, waiting for next one)
Text Updates for Lord Crush (This is an Erfworld story about and for Kickstarter backer Curtis Shaw, who is awesome and part of the reason we still get Erfworld! It appears to take place prior to the main story but after the fall of FAQ)
Text Updates for DigDoug (Another Erfworld story, this time for Kickstarter backer Douglas Molla, who is also awesome and a somewhat bigger part of the reason we still get Erfworld! We have even less clarity on the chronological position of these events.)
Text Updates for _____ (One more Kickstarter inspired Erfworld story, this one for somebody who is as yet unknown. Then Erfworld Book 3 should begin!)

If you enjoy the story of the comic updates, I recommend reading through all of these stories and Book 0, as well as any text updates you missed. It's quite a rich world.
Silversought

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Tue May 20, 2014 6:14 pm

KonradKnox wrote:Hi, I didn't read most of this site in a long while, I think since last year, last I recall is the end of book 2.

Yes. Rob recently posted that the new artist just recently finished/is about to finish some other projects that he needed to wrap up before he could get on Erfworld full time, so we should be seeing fairly regular comic updates again soon. I've heard there are two pages left on the current story, and he has been doing about 1 a week lately (likely splitting time between this and getting the comic ready), with another page due todayish. So I'd imagine in 2-3 weeks we're likely to start seeing the regular comic again.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Previous

Return to Everything Else Erfworld