Pointlessly poetic presentation of Disciplines

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Pointlessly poetic presentation of Disciplines

Postby No one in particular » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I thought it might be a fun little exercise to have a thread for describing disciplines how an erfworlder might. Which is to say, with an incomplete understanding and relying heavily on simile.

For instance:

Predictamancy
Predictamancy's like... like a lookout on a boat, right? They see what's coming.
Fate is like the tides, the currents. It pushes you around, and you can fight it, but it can last a lot longer than you.
Small events, unimportant events are like flotsam & jetsam... they can be avoided, or handled, or even flipped over!
Big things are like... like continents. You can't flip an continent. You can just adjust how you approach it. You can try to dock at the pier or you can wreck yourself on the reef that the tide was hiding.
The lookout can let you know what's coming... and depending on how fast the tide is carrying us, they can tell us to crop the sail or brace for impact.

Rhyme-o-mancy
    So, just, imagine a road, right?
    Through valley's low and mountain's height
    Guiding units from hex to hex
    easing move from one to the next.

Rhyming's like that, but for the mind
    Easing thoughts and moods in kind.
    Leader's dance and caster's juice
    A good rhyme can let them loose

Smooth and flowing are the best;
    An ill-made rhyme is a test.
    A wandering road, filled with holes
    Saps your move and hurts your soles

Paths can be made by many feet
    But rocks are needed for a street
    Rhyme-o-mancy paves the grade
    So that verses may be laid.

Moneymancy
How do you promote your units? Shmuckers.
Where do your rations come from? Shmuckers.
How do you improve your cities? Shmuckers.
What do you get for mining? Shmuckers.
What do you save by farming? Shmuckers.
What do you croak without? Shmuckers.

All casters are just cost-cutting measures, and we moneymancers just cut to the heart of the matter.
The natural allies are right.
With enough time and shmuckers, you can do anything. And with enough shmuckers, you don't even need much time.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Re: Pointlessly poetic presentation of Disciplines

Postby No one in particular » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:44 pm

Predictamancy
Predictamancy's like... a road, okay? We're all walking down the road. Most units are walking along, just taking whatever turns they feel like when they come up. Some predictamancers, they can see that there are signs at the forks and crossroads, and can tell you what's coming up. Better predictamancers can see further down the road, read more signs for ya. Some predictamancers, the really good ones, they have maps and can see where we're all heading. They can tell you shortcuts and bad roads and all the rest of it. Doesn't change what the destinations are, and you can try to take a detour, but if the Titan's want you somewhere, they can toss down a roadblock big as a house.

Dirtamancy
Dirtamancy is like the whole world is a giant puzzle. You can see how everything fits together... every rock, every clod, every brick in a city, every spice in a soup. The power of dirtamancy comes from seeing how ELSE things can fit together. Bricks can be stacked, but you can stack more like THIS. Food can grow on a farm, but it'll grow better if I add more of this to the soil, or take that out. Everything wants to settle into place, and dirtamancy helps you pick the place.

Weirdomancy
Weirdomancy is... okay, everyone's got switches. They control what a person is, what they can do. When you're popped, when you level, the Titans flip certain switches. Some switches are on/off, like Flight or Heavy or... or... sex! Boy/girl. Some are more like dials, like Move or Hit, and can go up when you level. Some are... okay, I don't have a good idea for stuff like TYPE of Caster, or Piker vs Archer or whatever. Weirdomancy lets you flip a few switches. Some things are complicated, so I'd have to flip a LOT of switches to like, make a Marbit into a Dwagon. ... a LOT of switches... and you know, your switches were flipped by the Titans, so they don't like it when we mess with them! And when they check back on you next Turn to refill your Hits & Move, they see what's out of place and flip it back. Yeah.
"Are you always so pessimistic?"
"Not at all. I saved it for my last battle."
---
Got questions? Ask Count Downer!
No one in particular

Return to Everything Else Erfworld