Is this comic ever coming back?

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Is this comic ever coming back?

Postby meowx » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 pm

I really, really do miss this comic. Its art and story were fantastic. Is it ever coming back? And before the forum regulars descend upon me for having a differing opinion, I really am just honestly curious. Book 1 in particular had just the most fantastic art style, and was a huge part of the reason for this world's popularity. I really miss it and want to know if there are any official plans to return to that format or if it's all just up in the air. (And if not, why?)
meowx

Re: Is this comic ever coming back?

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:11 pm

meowx wrote:I really, really do miss this comic. Its art and story were fantastic. Is it ever coming back? And before the forum regulars descend upon me for having a differing opinion, I really am just honestly curious. Book 1 in particular had just the most fantastic art style, and was a huge part of the reason for this world's popularity. I really miss it and want to know if there are any official plans to return to that format or if it's all just up in the air. (And if not, why?)

You'd know the answer to this question if you'd read the Site News...or the forum...or the Facebook page.
Godzfirefly

Postby Lipkin » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:33 am

Godzfirefly wrote:
meowx wrote:I really, really do miss this comic. Its art and story were fantastic. Is it ever coming back? And before the forum regulars descend upon me for having a differing opinion, I really am just honestly curious. Book 1 in particular had just the most fantastic art style, and was a huge part of the reason for this world's popularity. I really miss it and want to know if there are any official plans to return to that format or if it's all just up in the air. (And if not, why?)

You'd know the answer to this question if you'd read the Site News...or the forum...or the Facebook page.

Or even skimmed the first page of thread titles of this very sub-forum.
Lipkin
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!
Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby YRM_DM » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:14 am

It's a good question. Everyone doesn't come back to the site daily since there aren't daily updates and hasn't been new art in ages. I must have missed whatever obscure news post this was too, didn't see anything in these forums that answered it either. I've stayed off Facebook because it tends to be more trouble than it's worth. If I could answer your question, I would.

It's great that two people who knew the answer took the time to troll you, but didn't use that time to just answer the question for the other casual readers.

I consider myself a casual reader but plan to buy the whole set of books if it's ever finished, and I'm sure I'm not the only one like that.
YRM_DM

Postby Godzfirefly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:19 am

YRM_DM wrote:

It's a good question. Everyone doesn't come back to the site daily since there aren't daily updates and hasn't been new art in ages. I must have missed whatever obscure news post this was too, didn't see anything in these forums that answered it either. I've stayed off Facebook because it tends to be more trouble than it's worth. If I could answer your question, I would.

It's great that two people who knew the answer took the time to troll you, but didn't use that time to just answer the question for the other casual readers.

I consider myself a casual reader but plan to buy the whole set of books if it's ever finished, and I'm sure I'm not the only one like that.

1) It's not actually a good question. It's a question that has already been asked and answered, and it was asked this time in an manner insulting to the author, the readers (casual and regular) and the forum-goers. Much like your own post.

2) Not trying to troll anyone. Just pointing out the obvious, "Look down the forum about two inches, the answer to your question and several like it is already there." It's faster and easier to point someone to the thread that has the answers than to rehash it for a third time in a week for someone who apparently doesn't care enough to read the answer to their own question.

3) Daily updates? You want daily updates but refuse to watch the medium by which regular updates are easiest to both send and receive because it's too much trouble? How does that actually make sense?

4) The news post isn't actually obscure so much as it was at the bottom of every comic update for months. Also, it's only about three news posts back on the site...all it takes is reading the webcomic to see the Site News. If you can't read the webcomic, how can you care enough to create a forum ID, post a message, then expect to come back later and read the response?
Godzfirefly

Postby YRM_DM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Godzfirefly,

I went back and re-read the last 6 updates below the comics and stories in the update archive and I hate to say this because... there's that fear of being called stupid for missing something which people claim is blatantly obvious... but, I don't see words in the updates that talk about when the next comic book is coming out.

I also browsed the threads here, and didn't notice an answer to the question either.

I saw news on the lapel pins, Arthur Chu on jeopardy, a batch of mis-printed books, etc.

Here's what I think I know, right now. It seems like there was an update somewhere that Rob needs another kickstarter to start the next book. I thought a past kickstarter was already done so he'd have the money to hire a full time professional artist, which, I thought he did, with the erphabet book? I do love what Rob creates but I'm not so immersed that I know what's going on to the level that you seem to.

It's clear that I'm not trying to get daily updates... but, I'm personally finding it's not easy to find a clear news post that says, "Here's what went wrong. Here's the plan going forward."

I sense frustration on your part and the part of other forumers that you've answered the same question a lot. I get that. Perhaps the reason you've had to answer that question so much is that it's not clear and easy to find for a long-time but more casual reader?

I understand that it's a challenge for Rob to keep up with everything and make a living at this at the same time, but as someone who is rooting for Erfworld to stay on track. I'm just saying that to me, it doesn't seem easy to tell.

Thanks and I hope there's no ill will. All the best.
YRM_DM

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 pm

9 threads below this one (currently - it was only 4 threads down at the time this thread was created) is a thread where all this was discussed. Also, the most recent Site News you want is the December 16th Site News, about three clicks back. Here are the recaps:

~A Kickstarter is still needed before Book 3 can start. The Erfabet Kickstarter did go towards hiring and training the artist, but not towards actually supporting the making of Book 3 itself. (The upcoming Kickstarter will also fund printing Book 2, as I understand it.)

~The original date for that Kickstarter was supposed to be March 7th, but was delayed due to other projects. (My understanding was that it should still start in March, but that may have just been my own wishful thinking. EDIT: Also, I can't find the original source for the March 7th date at the moment, so that may not be accurate anyway...)

~Even after the Kickstarter is finished, the text updates need to be published first. These are a Kickstarter reward that need to be resolved. There are four stand-alone stories, and we're in the second currently.

I'd like to add, this break is titled the "Winter Break" for whatever that's worth.
Godzfirefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:20 pm

The reason you likely missed it in the news updates is that it is basically a single sentence near the very end of a news post that doesn't otherwise relate to an update schedule or anything similar.

And from what I can see, there are two other threads on this topic, one of which (it was on page 2 last time I checked) has actual answers more or less right away, the other one is much like this one in that it starts out with 'check the news' and eventually gets around to someone giving an answer. For all the complaint of it being quicker to direct someone to do their own work instead of giving an answer to a question, I find it funny that this has ended up turning into multiple printed pages worth of text to finally get around to an answer, when "Rob said there would need to be a kickstarter to pay for an artist, and is posting kickstarter story rewards in the meantime." would have sufficed from the start.

Oh, and the March 7th likely came from an e-mail that was sent out to Tools that offered them the chance to use their Tool points on preordering the book instead of waiting for the kickstarter. Or maybe a FB post, I think I heard that mentioned as a source.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Godzfirefly » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Oh, and the March 7th likely came from an e-mail that was sent out to Tools that offered them the chance to use their Tool points on preordering the book instead of waiting for the kickstarter. Or maybe a FB post, I think I heard that mentioned as a source.

I did find a Facebook post from March 3rd saying that, yes. Also, on March 9th, he said it was delayed by a week or so. I haven't seen further updates on it since.
Godzfirefly

Postby YRM_DM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:9 threads below this one (currently - it was only 4 threads down at the time this thread was created) is a thread where all this was discussed. Also, the most recent Site News you want is the December 16th Site News, about three clicks back. Here are the recaps:

~A Kickstarter is still needed before Book 3 can start. The Erfabet Kickstarter did go towards hiring and training the artist, but not towards actually supporting the making of Book 3 itself. (The upcoming Kickstarter will also fund printing Book 2, as I understand it.)

~The original date for that Kickstarter was supposed to be March 7th, but was delayed due to other projects. (My understanding was that it should still start in March, but that may have just been my own wishful thinking. EDIT: Also, I can't find the original source for the March 7th date at the moment, so that may not be accurate anyway...)

~Even after the Kickstarter is finished, the text updates need to be published first. These are a Kickstarter reward that need to be resolved. There are four stand-alone stories, and we're in the second currently.

I'd like to add, this break is titled the "Winter Break" for whatever that's worth.

Thank you. I really appreciate the detailed answer. I think Rob would be doing himself a big favor to make that more clear at the top of each update in a short way... Erfworld is great and has dedicated fans, but, he's also got to keep growing the fanbase and keep the moderate level fans able to find out what's going on.

The reason you likely missed it in the news updates is that it is basically a single sentence near the very end of a news post that doesn't otherwise relate to an update schedule or anything similar.

I hope that the most engaged fans don't get frustrated defending Rob or Erfworld but would remember that people wouldn't be here asking questions if they weren't interested, and they wouldn't be frustrated if they didn't love the comic. A patient answer turns a lot of people from jerks into sympathetic supporters.

The text updates are great but, I do think there's evidence out there based on several successful Kickstarters that people want this comic to keep moving and are willing to pay for it.

It's sort of the same way that people want George R R Martin to finish Game of Thrones before he dies... and are bothered when the guy is 3-4 years off schedule on each book, but keeps taking on side projects instead of trying to get back on schedule.

People get frustrated because they have an artist like Rob or Martin who crafts great work... and they want to see it move forward. People get frustrated because, through hard work, Rob has created the ability to do something he loves and make money at it. (and if he pushes forward, it will just get bigger with more fans) And there's a sense of "rooting for him to succeed" and "stay focused" long enough to move the main product forward.

None of these things indicate that anyone thinks Rob is anything other than brilliant.

Does that make sense?

When George Lucas was given a blank check for the Star Wars prequels and then they turned out far worse than the originals, but still very pretty to look at, people felt frustrated by the lost potential for a great story.

Rob is writing a great story here, the frustration in slow progress is both a compliment and expression of encouragement to get through this tough phase.

Thank you again, and please help to embrace people with "dumb questions" so that Rob doesn't lose fans during his slow patch.
YRM_DM

Postby bladestorm » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:28 pm

When the comic comes back and what format depends on the kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15 ... raw-book-3
bladestorm

Return to Everything Else Erfworld