Carnymancy card game

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Carnymancy card game

Postby jeffseadot » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:15 pm

Has anybody actually tried playing this? How did it go?
jeffseadot

Re: Carnymancy card game

Postby Hasufin » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Nope, but it does seem like a good one to kick around. Of course, unlike in the example, I think everyone will have to know the "secret" rule.
Hasufin

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:23 am

Well, the secret rule is learned at the start of the first round, and Dove said it is supposed to go multiple rounds, so it isn't like the secret part will last long. I see the game getting hopelessly confusing after about 3 rounds though as the rules add up.

Unless you played with a new set of rules each round instead of adding them up like Dove indicated.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby jeffseadot » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Well, the secret rule is learned at the start of the first round, and Dove said it is supposed to go multiple rounds, so it isn't like the secret part will last long. I see the game getting hopelessly confusing after about 3 rounds though as the rules add up.

Unless you played with a new set of rules each round instead of adding them up like Dove indicated.

Yeah, the surprise secret would only work once. It'd be a fun trick to play all the same, though, and interesting to see what kind of rules people invent once they know how the game works. I assumed that the default way to play was with a new set of rules each round, and that accumulating them was an option if you wanted to make it more challenging. Odds are a playgroup would have to establish their own house rules also; a clever person could probably finagle a very specific and technical rule to give themselves unfair advantage. Although that's kinda the point.
jeffseadot

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:17 pm

jeffseadot wrote:
Taikei no Yuurei wrote:Well, the secret rule is learned at the start of the first round, and Dove said it is supposed to go multiple rounds, so it isn't like the secret part will last long. I see the game getting hopelessly confusing after about 3 rounds though as the rules add up.

Yeah, the surprise secret would only work once. It'd be a fun trick to play all the same, though, and interesting to see what kind of rules people invent once they know how the game works. I assumed that the default way to play was with a new set of rules each round, and that accumulating them was an option if you wanted to make it more challenging. Odds are a playgroup would have to establish their own house rules also; a clever person could probably finagle a very specific and technical rule to give themselves unfair advantage. Although that's kinda the point.

But no rule a person makes can make them win, so there really isn't any rule you can make that would ensure you win. Instead I think the 'tactic' as it were would be to screw with whoever is in the lead by doing a rule like "Digdoug can't win a trick." Then the only way they could win a trick was if they had the highest card and you had the second highest. Though... I'm sure that other rules would have a way of interfering with that.

Edit: And if someone figures out a rule that somehow lets them always win, then other people will use it too, or find a counter rule to it.

Edit2: You know, you could play it on the forums. You'd need however many players, and then one extra person to be the deck. The extra person would tell the players what cards they'd drawn, and then the players tell the extra person what card they're playing, and when everyone has picked their card, the extra person reveals everyone's play. It's a bit of a round about way to do it, but only way I can think of.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby ryuplaneswalker » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:34 am

In regards to the secret rule.

I am not sure it is really a steadfast rule, I imagine for sake of variety there is a set of "Secret rules" the dealer can use or that the dealer can make any secret rule they please however the dealer waits till last so that they can create a rule that turns the other player's rules upside down.
ryuplaneswalker

Return to Everything Else Erfworld