Food, and abundance thereof

Speculation, discoveries, complaints, accusations, praise, and all other Erfworld discussion.

Food, and abundance thereof

Postby arin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:17 am

So, I was just rereading parts of Book 2, because.. well, because it's awesome, of course. No need to explain that /here/. :) And I just came to an amusing realization.

The entirety of Book 2 and it's epilogues takes place in one day and night, right? So we haven't seen the start of the turn following the battle. And I just realized that when Gobwin Knob's next turn starts, they are going to have the most epic legendary feast EVER, because they harvested like 50 dwagons for food. :) The entire garrison of Spacerock might literally be covered in dwagon meat. And since a few of those decrypted dwagons survived, it's entirely possible that a dwagon will wind up eating itself. ;) Unlikely, since, y'know, zero upkeep, which I always assumed meant that Decrypted don't eat because no money is spent to pop rations for them. But it's /possible/, and does amusingly lead to the wild speculation that eating one's own food corpse might constitute a true resurrection of sorts. But that's just a wild theory. Mostly I'm interested in what the heck can be DONE with all that food. Most of Gobwin Knobs troops are decrypted and therefore, as previously mentioned, don't eat, so they're probably going to pop enough food to feed their eating units for like twelve turns.

Can that work? Can Erfworld cities put their leftovers in the fridge and choose not to pop fresh stuff on their next turn? Can they keep leftover food fresh by paying a smaller upkeep to refresh it between turns? If so, does that mean food never spoils, and what would happen to the food if they let it spoil anyway? Would it disband, or become poisonous? Can Sizemore make, say, a Rot Golem from some of it? Can they sell it to other sides for Schmuckers?

All fun hypotheticals, but I'd be disappointed if Book 3 didn't have at least one panel somewhere with a unit buried in food the moment the turn starts with an onlooker saying, "Oh yeah. Forgot about that."
arin
YOTD Supporter!
YOTD Supporter!

Re: Food, and abundance thereof

Postby Godzfirefly » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:23 am

I don't think it works like that. The harvested dwagons have to depop to get the food from them, and the dwagons were decrypted...which means that either they survived the inferno or they were dusted.

As for creating enough food to surpass the upkeep of the side, I suspect it is possible and that may be what the unused storehouse is for. Parson did speculate about what a side that popped enough Heavies to sustain itself from harvesting would look like, after all.
Godzfirefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:40 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:I don't think it works like that. The harvested dwagons have to depop to get the food from them, and the dwagons were decrypted...which means that either they survived the inferno or they were dusted.

As for creating enough food to surpass the upkeep of the side, I suspect it is possible and that may be what the unused storehouse is for. Parson did speculate about what a side that popped enough Heavies to sustain itself from harvesting would look like, after all.

I agree. It was stated that the harvested unit would depop, and rations would pop in its place. Any dwagons that were decrypted either aren't going to count for food, or they'll depop despite being decrypted because they were harvested, and thus will turn into food.

I suppose another possibility is that any dwagon that was harvested and decrypted will pop a bunch of food every turn indefinitely. It isn't likely, but since Erfworld is very much like a video game, that is the sort of error that would occur in a video game (has the harvested tag, so it should depop, but the decrypted tag interferes with that, but the harvested tag still registers to create food). Exceedingly unlikely of course, as it would provide Parson with virtually infinite rations for living troops, along with his upkeepless decrypted troops.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby Mrtyuh » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:12 am

Yeah, Stanley even said that they got "un-fooded," which probably means the harvesting was reversed by the Decryption.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh
Tool + YOTD + Print 2 Draw 3 Supporter!

Postby wih » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:54 am

Mrtyuh wrote:Yeah, Stanley even said that they got "un-fooded," which probably means the harvesting was reversed by the Decryption.

I wonder what would happen if the rations were consumed before the bodies decrypted?
wih

Postby Godzfirefly » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:20 pm

wih wrote:I wonder what would happen if the rations were consumed before the bodies decrypted?

You don't get the rations before the bodies depop. It seems clear that it's either food or decrypting, not both. (Makes me imagine Parson's harvest-the-flying-mounts strategy would be a bad idea if Jetstone had had a Croakamancer ready to steal the dead dwagons as uncroaked...)
Godzfirefly

Postby Taikei no Yuurei » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:47 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:
wih wrote:I wonder what would happen if the rations were consumed before the bodies decrypted?

You don't get the rations before the bodies depop. It seems clear that it's either food or decrypting, not both. (Makes me imagine Parson's harvest-the-flying-mounts strategy would be a bad idea if Jetstone had had a Croakamancer ready to steal the dead dwagons as uncroaked...)

Except dwagons can't be uncroaked, so no worries there.
Taikei no Yuurei
Erfabet Supporter!
Erfabet Supporter!

Postby wih » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Godzfirefly wrote:

"Claiming" bodies normally makes them not depop after the turn - or was there something specific to harvesting that changes that?
wih

Postby Mrtyuh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:44 am

Serious answer: What Godzfirefly said. The rations don't appear until after the body has depopped, and you need the body in order to Decrypt it.

Joke answer: This!

wih wrote:"Claiming" bodies normally makes them not depop after the turn - or was there something specific to harvesting that changes that?

I doubt there is a specific mechanic that stops it, but I imagine that harvesting usually isn't done in the presence of enemy units. A side is unlikely to claim the bodies of units it's already decided to harvest for provisions. If there happened to be such a situations, e.g. after harvesting a unit but before it depops, a side is attacked and the enemy claims the corpse as a prize, my guess would be that the enemy gets to keep their prize, and the rations just never pop. Of course, that's pure conjecture.
मृत्युः सर्वहरश्चाहमुद्भवश्च भविष्यताम् ।
Mrtyuh

Return to Everything Else Erfworld